keto carnivore returns

Options
Years ago I started keto then carnivore for improved health (autoimmune and arthritis) and some weight loss. I started to let things slide, stopped myfitnesspal and then left it all fly out the window.

I now need to re-lose the weight and regain my health with what will likely be a ketogenic to carnivore diet for life.

And I am curious why there is no carnivore tag when there is vegan and vegetarian tags?

Replies

• Carni8991
    Carni8991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are carnivore. Once in a great while we go off for chips and salsa or a piece of cake. Never more than one day off.Our A1C stay around 5.00 and our weight is easily manageable within 5 lb or so. Little to no support on mfp🤨
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Carni8991 wrote: »
    My husband and I are carnivore. Once in a great while we go off for chips and salsa or a piece of cake. Never more than one day off.Our A1C stay around 5.00 and our weight is easily manageable within 5 lb or so. Little to no support on mfp🤨
    Most MFPers who are successful believe in balance dieting. Carnivore limits carbs so things like vegetables and fruits (which are nutrient dense) are typically excluded or are in minimum amounts. Also, evidence for people who eat a lot of red meat increase their risk quite significantly for heart disease and health issues, versus those who do a balanced diet or plant based.
    Now I eat meat often, but I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits as well. And being Asian, I eat rice and noodles often as well. It's all about managing calories and portions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • grammyb5017
    grammyb5017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ah, took me a long time to find this comment box... Been carnivore with some ketovore for about 6 weeks. Lost some and maintaining, so trying to record my eating so I know my calories aren't too high and I'm meeting macros... Have a lot to lose so getting impatient, but feel so much better eating less but no bad stuff :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,914 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Years ago I started keto then carnivore for improved health (autoimmune and arthritis) and some weight loss. I started to let things slide, stopped myfitnesspal and then left it all fly out the window.

I now need to re-lose the weight and regain my health with what will likely be a ketogenic to carnivore diet for life.

And I am curious why there is no carnivore tag when there is vegan and vegetarian tags?

I've been low carb and burning ketones for quite a long time (over 12 years) and will be doing it for the rest of my life. Carnivore is more than likely out of the scope of MFP and why no tags, but that is just a guess. Lots of entrenched dogma around the ketogenic diet let alone a carnivore diet but keto at least as a therapeutic intervention is well documented and used extensively enough that it's well accepted as a front line therapy for metabolic disorders as well as neurodegenerative disorders and cancer research all over the world. It's basically the only diet where a metabolic marker (ketones) is used to identify whether a person is actually in that metabolic state and because of that difference it can be studied properly in the context of disease and dysfunction. It's a powerful therapy in that regard.

Keto as a mainstream diet has been commoditized and commercialized and really misunderstood in that context, which if you've been around here long enough, that would become apparent from most members. The original SKD was basically an intervention for epilepsy where it's still used extensively and actually is more effective than most medication therapies or is used in conjunction with medication. Originally and today as a therapeutic intervention using grams was never a thing and they still aren't, and what is used are ratio's. For example the SKD for epilepsy was a 4:1 ratio where there's 4 g's of fat for every 1 g of protein and some carbohydrates which is basically 90% fat and that's the diet example that is criticized in main stream media and gets everyone frantic lol, but that's not the diet that clinics use for metabolic syndrome and to reverse diabetes. It can be formulated in many different ways, from a 3:1, 2:1 and a 1:1 which is what I use for example and for every gram of fat there's 1 g of protein which turns out to be around 30% protein and is basically called a modified ketogenic diet and there's also a low glycemic index therapy called LGIT. What these clinics do on an individual basis is do a glucose tolerance test which then determines a more appropriate carb application within a low carb therapy and also take into consideration all of the blood markers associated with disease.

The carnivore space is different because it really flies in the face of conventional wisdom and I've been following this space for about 4 years now and actually participated in a 60 day trial myself. I follow probably 6 or 8 Doctors that have been on a carnivore diet and some for over a decade but most for multiple years and many that have their own clinics that deal with obesity, diabetes and metabolic disorders in general who prescribe a low carb lifestyle to reverse and get people off medication. It's definitely interesting and considering we humans come into this world in a ketogenic state and stay that was during a good part of weening, it's not something that is completely foreign to the human body and most of humankind for millions of years have been using ketones on a regular basis for fuel, and it's the reason humans and specifically babies have a lot of body fat and actually more body fat on a percentage basis than baby seals and where our predecessors chimpanzee's and bonobos virtually have none and are in the low single digit, 3 or 4 % and we as humans would have never survived living above the 40th parallels with 3 or 4 % body fat during episodes of food scarcity or starvation and especially if there was a newborn during that time. Anyway I'm still not going to forgo vegetables, but that's just me. Cheers.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    neanderthin, grammyb5017, Carni8991, Nicole_Gardens

Hi all, I am on carnivore as of 10 days ago. Have loved delving into the last few years of positive research on therapeutic use.

Tried keto a few years ago- dropped weight but did not understand how to keep pooping, get my nutrients etc.

Now, even more overweight, I needed to address a range of metabolic issues, and luckily the science and experience of people doing carnivore have exploded.

So I'm not having any problems this time.

I would love to be in a group with other carnivore, ketovore. I have a long way to go. My gut has not felt this good in a long time:).
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I’ve been practicing for about 3yrs. Last year I slowly introduced carbs again and experienced weight gain along with increased autoimmune issues. I’m a runner and had my worst running year in 2023. Could be coincidental due to the amount of issues I was having, but I’m going back to carnivore.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,111 Member
    edited February 2
    Options
    More ketovore than carnivore for what I eat. I started out just counting calories, but that did nothing to help my A1C numbers so I went Keto which dealt with that and unexpectedly to me also dropped my blood pressure to a point where I came off the three meds I was on for it. Other unexpected benefits were within a month my joint pain was almost gone except for my shoulder and knees which have injuries that likely will never stop aching, but they don't hurt like they used to, my sensitive teeth are no longer sensitive, mentally I am much more focused and even keeled, and there are probably more things I have not yet noticed or am forgetting. For me keto works and I have never been so satisfied with what I eat as I have since I switched in April last year. Many people here will come across as rather opposed to keto and likely more so, carnivore. As above, some will cite epidemiological studies about red meat consumption and heart disease and cancer that have so many confounding factors most glaring of which is at best they are looking at omnivorous diets that are still high in carbs even if they are low in sugar. I for one, am not convinced. You may want to join in the low-carb or keto groups in the group section.
  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Started as a carnivore on January 8 and stuck to stuck to it for 20 days. I watched my caloric intake keeping it 1700 ish. I also did IF 14:10 as i have a bad habit of snacking in evenings. Lost 3 lbs and that was the first 5 days. Then nothing, which frustrated me. I felt bloated. On the 29th I started keto with 25 % carbs (I missed my Veggies) and I also do IF 16:8. On Monday I started just doing Cabbage soup, to help rebuild my gut biomes. I plan on the Friday to return to Keto where I will be doing a 1:1 ratio for protein and fats with 25% carb intake. I found that I didn't feel good on a Carnivore Diet (meat eggs and Cheese). I felt bleecht. I had no problem with the food, but I couldn't see that as a lifestyle.