Intermittend fasting vs. proteins supply

Options
JBU_SCZ
JBU_SCZ Posts: 10 Member
I started interval/intermittend fasting before my vacation. 12/12 - the easy start, although perhaps I do not make it quite so simple, because I put the 12 hours without food on the day - as a rule, it should be the night. Effectively, that leaves me with two meals. How do I get enough protein? My problem is - that despite sports, not only the fat is less, but also the muscles - because I take too little protein to me. How do you do that? Do you have any tips without too artificial protein substitute? I use actually HANS Ultra Protein Vegan Unflavoured...

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    If you need more protein, whey (or vegan versions if needed) protein powder and cheap and convenient.

Your IF schedule shouldn't be an issue with getting your daily protein needs in, provided you aren't fasting for the whole day.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,620 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    IF is not optimal for MPS from a standpoint of both timing and usually an overall daily amount
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Make IF part of your sleeping time and not through the day like your doing.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Make IF part of your sleeping time and not through the day like your doing.

Yep, I was about to say the same thing. In my personal opinion, doing a 12 hour fast during the day is just asking for problems. Unless there's a specific reason where you're unable to eat for a full 12 hours in the day, I don't think it'll do any favors
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    If you're one of the people who find protein especially filling, intermittent fasting (IF) may not be the ideal strategy for you. Personally, I'd hate IF for a variety of subjective reasons, but I suspect I could jam in enough vegetarian protein in 2 meals over roughly 4 waking hours in order to hit my minimums, without relying on non-food-like supplements. I still have obese Ann's eating capacity (not necessarily her appetite), though, which is kind of weird.

I'm assuming you get to eat for around 4 hours per day: 12 hours fast, around 8 hours sleep, leaving about 4 hours for eating window?

What do perceive the problem to be? Is it that protein is too filling? Is it that you can't identify practical protein foods to consume during your eating windows? Are you actually vegan, and is finding vegan protein sources part of the problem? Something else?
  • JBU_SCZ
    JBU_SCZ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the answers so far. I use the rhythm to put the 12h on the day, because it is so for me conscious action and not just fall off incidentally - virtually in sleep :)... It also helps me to concentrate better at work. Eating for me always means direct heat production (especially annoying in summer) and also fatigue and a higher effort of discipline not to eat more. Overall, I consider my diet to be balanced. And prefer to prepare my own food rather than rely on convenience foods. But it's true - the 4h that are left for food intake are not much time and I would just like to avoid additives as much as possible. Fish, chicken meat are already quite effective. What about vegetables? Are there any quick recipes that you can recommend?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    JBU_SCZ wrote: »
    Thank you for the answers so far. I use the rhythm to put the 12h on the day, because it is so for me conscious action and not just fall off incidentally - virtually in sleep :)... It also helps me to concentrate better at work. Eating for me always means direct heat production (especially annoying in summer) and also fatigue and a higher effort of discipline not to eat more. Overall, I consider my diet to be balanced. And prefer to prepare my own food rather than rely on convenience foods. But it's true - the 4h that are left for food intake are not much time and I would just like to avoid additives as much as possible. Fish, chicken meat are already quite effective. What about vegetables? Are there any quick recipes that you can recommend?

You could switch to 18:6 which will add 2 hrs to your eating window while at the same time taking advantage of the metabolic mechanisms that create a more insulin sensitive environment than the 12:12 if that's important to you or maybe your not aware, or care, otherwise if intermittent fasting is just for weight loss and you feel better trying to maneuver (cope) for the sake of it then 18:6 might be an alternative without you feeling your not staring adversity in the face, so to speak. Cheers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    JBU_SCZ wrote: »

I too do not like to heat up my kitchen and house in the summer so cook differently this time of year.

We frequently grill chicken outside. Each time, we cook extra so there will be chicken for lunches and extra meals. I also poached two pounds of chicken breast using this recipe and it was good for a week: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-poach-chicken-breasts

For dinners with the leftover chicken, I'll make entrée salads or pasta salad. For lunch I might have wraps, or chicken, rice, and beans.

When I make pasta or potato salad, I do the boiling in the AM.

I tend to not use my crock pot this time of year, but that is one way to cook without heating up the house.

I never use my oven this time of year.