AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    @catholicmum Welcome! I hope your recovery continues to go well and you are back to running next month. Lesson learned - ease back into it!

@7lenny7 Great to see you back. Been following your adventures on strava. Yours are the only sailing maps on my feed! Great race recaps. The ultra in Georgia sounds like quite an experience. The hallucinations are something else!

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,830 Member
    Options
    I run before sunrise. No way I would run when the sun was out in the afternoon. I used to ride Bandit in the afternoons and yeah we acclimated to it a little but it was still not pleasant. I have been playing tennis in the 104 heat but only on a shaded court! It would probably be close to 120 on the sunny court 🫠🫠🫠🫠

And sadly age plays a little role in being able to withstand the heat. 😞

This month has been pretty good. I think my average mileage per day will be up a 10th from 3.4 to 3.5 which isn t great considering past months and years but I will definitely take it. Now to avoid the current round of Covid which seems to be spreading here esp with school starting
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Nice running @martaindale ! I hope the walks on rest days helps.

@Laurz9191 It's great when you have a day where you feel so good running that you go further than intended...and faster.

You're doing great @yirara !

@SummerSkier Shade definitely makes a difference. I'm glad your tennis court is shady. I hope we all avoid this round of CoVID. It's spreading here too with school starting and people returning from vacations.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,830 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo HURRAY for signing up for your Dec 10 miler. That is going to motivate you for sure the next few months. 👏👏👏
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,235 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I love running in La Jolla!

You should check out the La Jolla HM or the San Diego Holiday Half. La Jolla HM is beautiful and goes up from Del Mar to the Torrey Pines Mesa and finishes at La Jolla Cove.

The Holiday Half goes from Rancho Penasquitos pretty much downhill all the way to Torrey Pines state beach. It is a fast course and a great one to go for a PR. I haven't run it recently but ran it the 1st 5 years.

@shanaber Let's collaborate and host a "MFP monthly running thread" Race and Meetup at the 2024 version of the La Jolla HM. You in?

We can all wear Team MFP "quilt style" running shirts.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    Nice run @kgirlhart ! I'm looking forward to fall weather for you.

You are doing great @Scott6255 . I know how much you hate the treadmill.

@chris_in_cal Yeah for the clean bill of health and getting to run where the wealthy live. I'm sure it was beautiful.

Thanks @shanaber . Yes, that is the race I did last year. I am hoping to continue to do them annually. Last year was the first year they had it. We'll see how many years I last. LOL Sometimes, it makes me tired just thinking about all I need to do too. :wink: I'm am glad you are doing so well. I think 13.6 miles is awesome!

@tarun_yadavA Enjoy your long weekend. You amaze me that you get out and run early after late evening carnage.

@chris_in_cal That would be so much fun. Not sure I could do a HM and/or trip to CA, but hey, maybe.

Yes, good luck @Laurz9191 !

Thanks @SummerSkier @kgirlhart , and @Scott6255 . Having signed up for the race should help motivate me to do longer runs (run/walk) between now and Dec. This month has been brutal trying to fit them into my schedule.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I love running in La Jolla!

You should check out the La Jolla HM or the San Diego Holiday Half. La Jolla HM is beautiful and goes up from Del Mar to the Torrey Pines Mesa and finishes at La Jolla Cove.

The Holiday Half goes from Rancho Penasquitos pretty much downhill all the way to Torrey Pines state beach. It is a fast course and a great one to go for a PR. I haven't run it recently but ran it the 1st 5 years.

@shanaber Let's collaborate and host a "MFP monthly running thread" Race and Meetup at the 2024 version of the La Jolla HM. You in?

We can all wear Team MFP "quilt style" running shirts.

@chris_in_cal - Sounds like a plan! Not sure I will be back running HMs by then but would definitely be there and could do the 5k if nothing else.
    Mark your calendars folks - May 18, 2024 in La Jolla CA!