Exotic Meats - horse etc

Options
124»

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    They say dog meat is good for you. The people here eat it as a delicacy. They put it in soups. Enjoy.
    I recommend we all eat more hyenas because we need less of them around.... much less imho!

Your username begs the question... Have you ever eaten a capybara?

Edit because derp.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Not exotic, but in "less common in the grocery store" meats, venison and rabbit are fantastic. I've never had bad rabbit--it tastes like a moist, flavorful turkey or fowl.

Venison can be tricky to prepare (dryness or gameyness), but if you handle it properly (letting it age, pairing it with something to moisten), it's fantastic. I was anemic forever until I incorporated venison into my diet.
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from, horse meat is rather common altho not available as beef, but most busy cities have a specialty horse meat shop. Aside from the medical pro's and con's (don't know what they give the horses but then again, does anyone here know what load of crap they give to cattle before it is reay for consumpsion) horse meat is very lean, it is just a tad stronger in taste but especially the tenderloin is unbelievably tender.

Other than this, also rabbit is pretty common in my home country, mostly around Christmas etc. This meat is very tasteful, fragrant, I love it. Hare is good also but has a little game flavor aded to it. But with the right other components of the meal, it is delicious.

And honestly, I do not see the difference between slaughtering cows or horses. They both feel, breathe, feel fear, etc. And knowking what goes on in the slaughterhouse would make you a vegetarian instantly.

(I only eat meat because at this time of trying to lose weight, I have been told I should)
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    horse meat is nice

we eat a lot of pheasant and rabbit - plus the odd hare and venison (all wild - kill it cook it eat it ;))

I also love meatier sea food like squid and octapus - plus I like kid but you cant really get it here - thinking of raising a few though for the table
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean about the drugs risk - and that is unnerving.

Is there anywhere you can buy where there is no such risk or some controls in place?

I have equestrian friends in Texas, it doesn't happen alot but it does happen that they get their horses stolen and it's the general assumption that is for horsemeat. It's really creepy to think that the horse meat you might be buying is someone's pet.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    And honestly, I do not see the difference between slaughtering cows or horses. They both feel, breathe, feel fear, etc.

Yes but, no. Horses were domesticated for transportation and cows were domesticated for milk and meat. This means horses have been selected by humans for millenia to be intelligent, cooperative, expressive, and useful. The same goes for dogs though to a larger degree because humans have kept dogs for 50,000 years so dogs are bred to be emotive (puppy dog eyes anyone?) and sympathetic as well as trainable and useful. The problem with killing and eating "useful" animals is that they are more valuable alive than as meat. Of course there are cultural differences but the majority of ancient cultures only used horse meat when other meats were not available or when a horse outlived its usefulness. Cows are grass to milk or grass to meat conversion machines. They have been domesticated to make as much milk or meat as possible from as little grass as possible. Goats, chickens, rabbits, pigs, bison these animals were all domesticated to turn non-edible food into edible food and so these are the animals we usually eat. It doesn't make sense to eat a useful animal like a horse or dog if you have a cow or goat available to you. If you have no goat or cow, then yes, you have to eat what you have to eat to live. If you are an adventurous eater, that's awesome. It's not immoral to eat these animals, it's just illogical. A hunting dog can help you kill many birds, whereas if you eat the dog, what will you eat when it's gone? It's like eating your fishing pole. Sure you won't be hungry today but as far as long term survival strategies go, it's not a good one.

Now, we live in a world of excess and food is never scarce so you can eat whatever you like, but historically, that's why we don't eat horse and dog and elephant. And it has been this way for so long in human history that it's considered immoral to eat them. Even in Asia, the dogs that have been bred from antiquity for meat are different breeds from the ones you would keep as pets. They are 'meat' animals, not hunting animals or guard dogs. So they are not 'useful'. You don't just wander around killing people's pets and eating them. That would be immoral in Korea too!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I ate Kangaroo steaks when I was in Australia........................yummmm Tasted like skirt steak with anice cold beer .:bigsmile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    squirrel is good
  • firstsip
    Options
    And honestly, I do not see the difference between slaughtering cows or horses. They both feel, breathe, feel fear, etc.

Yes but, no. Horses were domesticated for transportation and cows were domesticated for milk and meat. This means horses have been selected by humans for millenia to be intelligent, cooperative, expressive, and useful. The same goes for dogs though to a larger degree because humans have kept dogs for 50,000 years so dogs are bred to be emotive (puppy dog eyes anyone?) and sympathetic as well as trainable and useful. The problem with killing and eating "useful" animals is that they are more valuable alive than as meat. Of course there are cultural differences but the majority of ancient cultures only used horse meat when other meats were not available or when a horse outlived its usefulness. Cows are grass to milk or grass to meat conversion machines. They have been domesticated to make as much milk or meat as possible from as little grass as possible. Goats, chickens, rabbits, pigs, bison these animals were all domesticated to turn non-edible food into edible food and so these are the animals we usually eat. It doesn't make sense to eat a useful animal like a horse or dog if you have a cow or goat available to you. If you have no goat or cow, then yes, you have to eat what you have to eat to live. If you are an adventurous eater, that's awesome. It's not immoral to eat these animals, it's just illogical. A hunting dog can help you kill many birds, whereas if you eat the dog, what will you eat when it's gone? It's like eating your fishing pole. Sure you won't be hungry today but as far as long term survival strategies go, it's not a good one.

Now, we live in a world of excess and food is never scarce so you can eat whatever you like, but historically, that's why we don't eat horse and dog and elephant. And it has been this way for so long in human history that it's considered immoral to eat them. Even in Asia, the dogs that have been bred from antiquity for meat are different breeds from the ones you would keep as pets. They are 'meat' animals, not hunting animals or guard dogs. So they are not 'useful'. You don't just wander around killing people's pets and eating them. That would be immoral in Korea too!

Have you ever actually worked with horses? Dogs are definitely bred to be intelligent; horses are just a shade more than sheep.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Have you ever actually worked with horses? Dogs are definitely bred to be intelligent; horses are just a shade more than sheep.

h59655F6C

i couldn't resist
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To me meat is meat

As long as it's raised, transported and killed humanely I will not put more value on one animal or bird over another
    Problem is that many of the intensive farming and haulage practices are not particularly humane - hence why I'd rather raise my meat myself or shoot wild game

I'd even eat my own horse/pet goat/dogs/chickens etc if it came to life and death
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you had stupid horses. I owned horses for years. Some were brighter than others, but none were anything like the sheep. Horses aren't dumb just... opinionated.
  • firstsip
    Options

I'm sorry you had stupid horses. I owned horses for years. Some were brighter than others, but none were anything like the sheep. Horses aren't dumb just... opinionated.

I didn't say they were like sheep. I said they were smarter than sheep. But just.

Definitely wasn't me having stupid horses. You're the first person I've ever encountered who's ever worked with horses/owned horses who thinks they're very intelligent. The, "but omg horses are majestic and brilliant, don't eat them" people I come across tend to have never interacted with a horse outside of watching Seabiscuit (not saying this is you).

I love horses, too, but they're definitely not dog-tier intelligence.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    After the various horse meat scandals in the UK I was alerted to the fact that horse meat is lower in fat and probably better for you generally than many beef products.

I have found a web site where I can order all sorts of horse meat things a well as zebra :

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/horse-meat.html

I am wondering if anyone has experience of horse or can recommend other less common meats with a health advantage.

Cheers

Being an avid horsewoman, and having treated my own horses as well as had them treated when necessary by a vet, I have first hand knowledge of medications that are administered to horses that are not regulated nor safe for human consumption. I have however inadvertently consumed horse meat and found it delicious. Needless to say, I have never returned to that establishment. They are not intended as a source of food. I 'd much rather have them as a companion animal than on my plate.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Deer, rabbit, quail, squirrel..........I have eaten all of those. Growing up, Dad would go hunting and then we'd clean and freeze what was killed. If someone in the family killed a deer, the other family members who lived close by would come and help with the cleaning, packaging, etc... of the meat. Daddy knows how to get that "wild" taste out of it so it tastes really good! And it feeds the family for free.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Another gator advocate here. It's really quite delicious.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Where I'm from, horse meat is rather common altho not available as beef, but most busy cities have a specialty horse meat shop. Aside from the medical pro's and con's (don't know what they give the horses but then again, does anyone here know what load of crap they give to cattle before it is reay for consumpsion) horse meat is very lean, it is just a tad stronger in taste but especially the tenderloin is unbelievably tender.

Other than this, also rabbit is pretty common in my home country, mostly around Christmas etc. This meat is very tasteful, fragrant, I love it. Hare is good also but has a little game flavor aded to it. But with the right other components of the meal, it is delicious.

And honestly, I do not see the difference between slaughtering cows or horses. They both feel, breathe, feel fear, etc. And knowking what goes on in the slaughterhouse would make you a vegetarian instantly.

(I only eat meat because at this time of trying to lose weight, I have been told I should)

Most horses, at least in the states, are given annual or even biannual vaccinations (more than a dog), monthly or every two months dewormer, prescriptions like bute or banimine (sp?), racehorses are given performance enhancing drugs and a slew of other medications. Also, most horses are fed a man-made grain with additives in it to compensate for the lack of quality in some hay. Also, most horses in the states that wind up in slaughterhouses are not wild, they are a result of overpopulation and the fact that people than no longer afford to feed them and cannot sell them at auction.

I don't think I could ever eat horse anyway because I am an equestrian. But knowing what I know I wouldn't eat horse anyway.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Re: horses being smart...

I have to say I've never encountered an intelligent horse. They are certainly able to pick up on emotions and feelings, but that's where the smarts stop.

When it comes to my favorite "exotic" meat, I'd have to say wild boar takes the cake. Kudu is a close second. Both have fantastic texture and flavor. If you don't like the "gamey" taste some wild animals have, these would be great starting points.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Another gator advocate here. It's really quite delicious.

Gator is pretty tasty too. Can have a bit of an odd texture, though.
  • cappiebara
    cappiebara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! There are so many meats I would love to try. Thanks for the link.