Going with out cold storage for awhile!!!

Options
Hello,
I am planning a weird trip and cold storage is not going to be readily available. Stores and cooking equipment will be. I work a lot so prepping is ideal however storage is a small issue (or just an unsolved problem for now). I am not wanting to revert to my old ways of just eating whatever. I am looking for some folks to work with me and keep me on track and offer advice.
For example some one suggested canned chicken. However the sodium is so high.
I track Macros if that helps.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I twice went to a new yoga center in Costa Rica that had no refrigeration. Everything was made from scratch and consumed that meal or shortly thereafter. Open a coconut - plan to eat the whole coconut that day. We cooked a lot of dried beans in a pressure cooker, plus rice made on the stove top, and were careful to only make what we thought would be eaten in a meal.

In the US, raw eggs are supposed to be refrigerated, but if you get them from a backyard farmer or outside the US they likely will not have been washed the same and so can last longer. Despite what the USDA recommends, hard boiled eggs can go several days without refrigeration.

Someone gave me two cans of chicken. One has 4% of the RDA daily value (2 oz serving) and the other 21% (3 oz.) So shop around. But, the lower sodium brands might not taste as good, so try before you stock up.

I just looked at my tuna stash and three different brands all have sodium in the 12-15% DV range for 4 oz. But, since I have no medical reason to look at sodium I don't and this is all news to me. :lol:

There might be lots of not-soup food in the soup aisle that you can just heat and eat. Plus soup!

Probably the most convenient thing for you to do is eat MREs. I bet camping stores have something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mres+military+food+2023&crid=2NKTSPTRH4204&sprefix=MREs,aps,378&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_4
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

In the US, raw eggs are supposed to be refrigerated, but if you get them from a backyard farmer or outside the US they likely will not have been washed the same and so can last longer. Despite what the USDA recommends, hard boiled eggs can go several days without refrigeration.

Wait.. serious? I've never bought eggs that were refrigerated, in neither of the various countries I've lived. They usually stand near the baking stuff, like flour and sugar in supermarkets.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Wait.. serious? I've never bought eggs that were refrigerated, in neither of the various countries I've lived. They usually stand near the baking stuff, like flour and sugar in supermarkets.

Yeah, eggs in the US are washed and disinfected. This washes away the cuticle so they have to be refrigerated. Pros and cons I guess.

🤷🏼‍♀️
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @ChrisMr2u53

Protein options - How about items like canned tuna, canned salmon. Beans. Beef jerky. Parmesan cheese. Protein powder? For shakes? Shelf stable milks.Canned or boxed soup.

Fruits & Vegetables that don’t need to be refrigerated like sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, tomatoes, avocado, oranges, grapefruit, apples, onions, carrots.

Crackers, bread, pasta.

Nuts, nut butters.