Back Again

Options
Hi everyone!
I’m returning here after a few years . I have gained at least 30 pounds after my cancer treatment! I lost myself for 7 years , lost my relationship, etc . Time to start fresh and feel better about myself . Gained way too much weight !

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Glad you are taking care of yourself. Best wishes for your continued health journey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I'm a cancer survivor myself (stage III breast cancer). I did get more active after treatment (which was beneficial in itself) but stayed overweight/obese for another dozen years, until I was 59-60.

I hear what you're saying about life changes knocking us around. We have different pasts, and I won't belabor, catastrophize or engage in "comparative difficulty" . . . but the couple of years around my cancer diagnosis included widowhood, death of other close family members, and more. I was grateful to be able to pull out of the resulting down-spiral.

Once I finally committed to managing my weight, it turned out to be more doable than I'd thought (though not easy every single second, of course). It was also more transformational than I'd expected (in improved quality of life), and realizing that I could take the reins and change my life was very empowering. That sense of empowerment fed other kinds of changes - sort of a beneficial cycle.

I'm cheering for you to find positive outcomes for yourself, too!
  • DayDreams1996
    DayDreams1996 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! I hope you are doing well after the cancer treatment. I am trying to lose weight as well and be a more healthy person.
  • matinaaz
    matinaaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I come and go- I lose a couple get discouraged and then come back - I go up and down about 5 lbs but need to lose at least 60lbs so I came back again too! I think success we don’t give up no matter how many times we fail at first- So I’m hoping this time I stay motivated and succeed! And… Good luck to you in succeeding to! Being back means we havn’t given up!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the first day of your forever fit life! :)
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I first joined MFP back in 2011 when I weighed less than I do now. I started again about two months ago and am taking it seriously. I also gained a lot in the wake of a major medical intervention (well, lost 15 pounds in hospital and then packed on 35 afterward).

I’m really moved by your comment about losing yourself for seven years. I had a medical catastrophe eight years ago (aortic dissection), and you have perfectly captured what happened afterward. I haven’t had the language to describe it, but now I do. And I too feel it’s finally time to find my way back to myself. Regaining physical and mental well-being is central to that. Thank you.