Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,425 Member
    Options
    Tina - I think it is past time for you to get creatively selfish. Space of my own is so incredibly important to me; I cannot thrive without it. You'll be a much more relaxed and enjoyable host for people you care about if you're happy, and if they're not staying in the house with you! No more excuses - make yourself a room of your own, woman! Keep it your own, dedicated to your uses, with those things in it that matter only to you, and above all, cool and comfortable, and not incredibly hot!

Allie - Miles is such a cutie...

Machka - I've lived only one place where there was good, accessible public transportation and that was the total of six years I lived in England, first in Sussex, then in Berkshire. On the first tour there, in Sussex, I didn't own a car for more than two years and seldom needed one. I was on buses and trains all the time. The second time, I lived near a bus line that took me to Reading, which is where I worked, and used public transportation all the time. Even 30 years later, I remember sitting on the brick wall surrounding an old, old, cemetery every afternoon, with a centuries-old church rising up behind it. That was where I waited on the bus that would take me home. Something that would never have happened in any US city I've ever lived in.

Off to bed...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa at snoozy time in Arkansas...

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Machka - I've lived only one place where there was good, accessible public transportation and that was the total of six years I lived in England, first in Sussex, then in Berkshire. On the first tour there, in Sussex, I didn't own a car for more than two years and seldom needed one. I was on buses and trains all the time. The second time, I lived near a bus line that took me to Reading, which is where I worked, and used public transportation all the time. Even 30 years later, I remember sitting on the brick wall surrounding an old, old, cemetery every afternoon, with a centuries-old church rising up behind it. That was where I waited on the bus that would take me home. Something that would never have happened in any US city I've ever lived in.

Off to bed...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa at snoozy time in Arkansas...

I could probably count the number of years I needed a motor vehicle on one hand ... well, one hand and maybe part of the other. :)

There were 2-3 years in the late 1980s, then parts of 4 years between 2005 and 2009 (a few months here and a few months there).

Some of that may be because of the countries where I've lived - it's possible Canada and Australia are a bit easier to get around without motor vehicles. But some of it is because one of the "must haves" when I or we have selected a place to live is accessibility to public transportation, and the ability to walk to a grocery store etc.

There are some suburbs around Hobart I wouldn't mind living, but the public transportation is worse than the suburb where we live, so they are off the list.

I am really glad we did include accessibility to public transportation and the ability to walk to a grocery store as "must haves" because it gives my husband more freedom too. He is not able to drive, but he can get around.

Things to Look for When Buying a House in Retirement
    https://www.chip.ca/reverse-mortgage-resources/retirement-planning/things-to-look-for-when-buying-a-house/

One of the most important steps to buying a house in retirement is to think not only about your current needs but also those of the future. The chances are, you won’t be able to drive forever. Your “buying a house” checklist should include its walkability.

Real estate listings are increasingly adding a walk score to properties; this includes how easy it is to walk to essential services like grocery stores, doctors’ offices, entertainment and restaurants. It also ranks properties on proximity to public transit.

The article includes lots of good tips.

One thing we will need to do in the next few years is to move to a flat lot.

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons we moved to this area of Hove was because I hate having to get in the car all the time to get basic things. Our village had no shop. Public transport was, one an hour, to the wrong (for me) city. Nothing in the evening. I just love the ease here of having excellent food shops, including a butcher and organic grocer, around the corner, and many buses at each end of the road. I am not even on my husband's car insurance any more, and I haven't driven for five years.
    In many European countries, the bicycle is king. In Lyon, where we stayed, they are currently converting many of the streets to cycle lanes. It's causing temporary chaos! In Scandinavia, everyone cycles.
    I am also thinking of my old age. We could live here indefinitely on the ground floor, if we put in a shower room in the utility room. Food delivery is easy. Our doctor is at the top of the road. Our dentist a few doors from that. Our hospital a direct bus ride away. Buses are electric, and wheelchair and pushchair friendly. Priority for the disabled. I can walk to a train.
    We are privileged. Not everyone in the UK is so lucky. I live in a quiet, safe, area. I can walk around at night. Not much traffic comes down our street. We have gardens, and tree-lined streets. Parks nearby. The sea is a block and a half away. All this comes at an exorbitant price of housing. Even rents are way out of a normal person's salary.
    When we go to a foreign city, one of the things we really enjoy is getting to grips with the public transport. I loved it in New York. I especially love cities with trams! Montpellier, Nottingham, Brussels, Edinburgh, Vienna etc. Berlin has amazing transport and cycling priority.
    Rural areas in Britain are losing their bus services. This enrages me. All older people have a free bus pass, but it's no use if there are no buses.
    I would love it if Brighton and Hove had more cycle lanes. There are quite a few, but not enough. I don't have a bike for that reason. I walk, or catch the bus.

Feeling somewhat better, but I am still being careful with my bladder. Still upping the D-Mannose dose and drinking more than usual. No alcohol. The flu jab seems to have had minimal after effects.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Europe & Britain really lead the way!

We're eyeing two possible small towns we might be able to move to at some point, and both offer many of the things you mention. Good access to grocery shopping and other facilities. Decent public transportation. Great cycling and walking. Relatively flat.

I use our van on the weekends, sometimes. Not every weekend. But thankfully, I don't need it during the week. It's way too expensive to run it all the time, and I can't deal with all the traffic.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Heather: I find toothpaste is good for removing lime scale on my bathroom sink. Maybe that would work on the marble groves. Just a smidgen on an old toothbrush.

We also live in a pleasant area with good transport links nearby. 5 minutes takes us to the nearest bus stop which takes us to the train station into Belfast. We have bus passes which are valid all over Ireland, including some of the offshore islands.

Our local shopping area is about a mile away. However, I can drive to many of my activities in about 7 minutes, whereas public transport would take well over an hour as I would have to take 2 buses.

Yesterday’s Monday Painters went well. I have craft group at 10.30 this morning.

We had lovely autumn colours until the storm ripped most of the leaves off. It also did for most of the colour in our planters. Time to clear them out and get the spring bulbs in.

Hey ho! Off we go for another day of fun and frolics

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options