WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake and hanging out with Alfie will get dressed and go take care of Homer and then stop at the garage and see when they can look at my car..
    Miles slept all night ,bless him
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Heather hope you feel better soon!

I just trimmed Teddy a bit. I've been letting him slide in favor of my parents. So he got into some burrs! His poor tail used to be so beautiful. I cut the burrs out instead of pulling them, and now his tail looks ragged.

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate authors.

Today I set an intention to better appreciate what I have, and to strengthen my self confidence.
    Meditation: daily. 27/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 20/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 75 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,5204, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1) My mom called me for a change.
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 44/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time. This will have to wait as I am not feeling too good today. Fall cold.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you. I have been working on this, so this will be in progress for a while. Because I did this, my mother finally called me to see what was up after 3 weeks of missed calls from me.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague. Will do here.
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize. I will put myself first for care so I can take care of others and my normal tasks.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently. Some of my close family contacted me instead of the other way around, 2. Getting appointments with a cardiologist, and a nephrologist. 3. I am over 2 months sober!
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now? 1. Better financial management, 2. My eyes and cataract surgery, 3. Researching and getting my name on lists of potential places to retire to in 3-4 years.
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face. I need to take a hard look at our budget.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time. I hope to go for a walk and to color today.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’ This helps me to make better decisions when I do this.
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to. I look forward to coloring today.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future. 1. Scientists, 2. Nature, 3. Caring people
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    Options
    Katek Hello and welcome! I used to live in middle TN in Cookeville, are you anywhere near there?
    Ginny As you know, I am in a camper in NM. There is no cable available where I am only satellite or ‘over the air’ programming. I had a company for Wi-Fi that was based on a dish, and line-of-site for connectivity. It was always going down, and very slow service. Then I found that Verizon had an Internet ‘box’ that only needed to be plugged in. I tested that for a week and promptly turned off my old service. Besides being half the price I was paying it was faster and hasn’t gone out once for the last year. My DH has to have the TV on from the time we get up until bed, and all that time it is on the Verizon Internet Box. Never a drop. You may want to test that brand, might work for you. We only have 4G here but 5G is in the works and should make it even faster!

We have Aloe Vera leaves/branches for sale in the grocery stores here. Apparently some people here use it in salads, such as salsa. A person told me that it helps with coughs and other congestion problems. I don’t know what it tastes like as I have never tried it.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    edited October 2023
    Options
    This Day Is: A few fit me perfectly: Haunted Refrigerator Day, Treat your Pet Day, Candy Corn Day, Mischief Day, and don’t forget Check List day……. LOL
    pz4pn5w8jdw3.jpeg
    d0a203kye14a.jpeg
    i815mc4k0g3x.jpeg
    RVRita 👻💀🎃
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Well I have someone who wants to buy my car..
    Now I have to see if I can find one that Is good on gas but sits high enough for me and is affordable.
    Ok ladies any of you guys drive smaller cars 4 cylinder all wheel drive that get good gas mileage? Let me know please .
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    Allie - I drive a honda crv it's 4 cylinder gets about 30mpg but it is not 4 wheel drive, it comes that way but I didn't feel i needed it in the flat lands of California. I have about 250,000 and it is still going strong.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, sunny day here, about 55*. I got my hair cut this morning, then did some housework and also worked in the yard for a while. Have been off the prednisone for about a week but still dragging. Today has been a bit better.

Allie - my DD drives a Mazda CX5. She did a lot of research before buying. It is all-wheel drive because we live in what is known as the convergence zone and we do get some snow in the winter. It is economical to drive and she likes it. That said she had a Honda crv and really liked it but got hit after she had it for 2 months and the insurance totaled it. It also had all-wheel drive and heated seats. She really liked those seats.

Heather - hope you are feeling better soon.

Welcome to those who are new.

Rebecca - glad you had a nice visit with the grandkids but they do sap a lot of energy.

Eberyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Well I have someone who wants to buy my car..
    Now I have to see if I can find one that Is good on gas but sits high enough for me and is affordable.
    Ok ladies any of you guys drive smaller cars 4 cylinder all wheel drive that get good gas mileage? Let me know please .

Our Chevy Spark was not too expensive, and though we bought it in 2012, it still gets 37 mpg.
    7nquugbbzyp0.jpg
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    A great lunch, then a long walk. :)

I see it shows steps on there. :) That's just for the walk ... not for all the additional walking here and there.

lb05p8dp7q5w.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, back on the ranch: With temps below 30 at night/early mornings, my deck is slippery BUT those dollar tree mats are perfect. My hens do not like cold weather and shorter days, I've only gotten one egg per day the past couple days. Might mow this afternoon, want to get more leaves mulched in. Rains start back on Wednesday.

Make it a fabulous week. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

What do you do with all the eggs?

My ever-indefatigable subconscious resolved a crafting problem while I was asleep, so I'll be able to pile into some more prep work for a piece I'm building in clay this morning. Always helpful, that. I used to use it to resolve Excel issues I was working with. Kind of a relief to know it's still working.

For example, and I know this is Greek to most, my subconscious helped me build a formula with a seven-step if-then statement for how to deal with eight different categories of employee vacation day accruals when I was an assistant comptroller 15 years ago. I set up the problem on a whiteboard, and the needed solution ranges, and just let my undermind do the work for about a week. Finally woke up on a Friday morning with the formula fully built in my brain.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

I found both sleep and long distance cycling to be good for that. It's one reason why I always studied during the night, then slept, then woke up to do my exams. Other students would go to bed early, then wake up and study until the exam, but I liked having the sleep time for my brain to sort things out.

And I solved a lot of problems on the bicycle!!

Machka in Oz