Will my calories decrease over time if I start at 1,210?

Options
Hi! I’m wondering how far MyFitnessPal will set the calorie goal. I know that they offer to change the goal for every 10 lbs lost, but is there a boundary where they can’t cross 1,200, or something? I’m only concerned since they’re starting me at 1,210. I don’t want to plateau. Thank you!

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    The lowest MFP will give any female is 1200 calories. Thus yes, as you lose weight you'll get to that number and you'll lose weight slower.

However, a few misconceptions:

MFP doesn't have you on 1210 calories. You got this because of the weekly weightloss goal you've chosen. Chose a less aggressive goal and you'll get more calories to play with. Going too aggressively isn't too good anyway because you might gnaw your arm and leg off and then either give up or binge, or both.

Also, 1200 is the lower boundary not because you stop losing weight if you go too low, but because your body needs food to thrive. Heck, just running your body from day to day, all your organs, your brain, creating blood and other cells takes nearly 1000 calories. Plus every movement on top.
  • Cats_fitness_journey
    Cats_fitness_journey Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Calories are too low, just decrease them slightly. I’ve been loosing weight slowly and I feel great. It’s hard, I’ve thought about eating less. I want to see results fast!! I mean who doesn’t??

Here’s just a few reasons why you shouldn’t:

#1 it’s not sustainable
    #2 you’ll feel like *kitten*
    #3 you’ll probably binge

Think about the story The Tortoise and the Hare:

“Slow and steady wins the race” 👍
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    So many people are too impatient these days so aggressive weight loss is what they attempt. It took TIME to put the weight on, it will take time to take it off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you 1210 calories per day...and I assume you said you wanted to lose 2lb/week (by all means, provide more information if this isn't correct. Provide your current weight, height, sex, age, activity level, goal weight)...

Then that would mean that based on your stats, your estimated maintenance level is 2200. Meaning you, theoretically, could eat 2200 calories every day and you'd maintain your current weight. So, just create a manageable calorie deficit from there. Try to eat 1900 calories per day and see what happens over time. And then adjust as you go. Another piece of info to know here is an estimate of your BMR, don't eat less than that. I'm willing to bet 1210 is less than that.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very very short AND sedentary, 1210 is lower than you need to go for comfortable, sustainable weight loss. See: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

And:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Jarol777
    Jarol777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    s1776683: MFP will NOT calculate anything under 1200 calories. Not even if you end the day with 1199. They will just say you are not eating enough. SOooo, learn your own body and metabolism and stick with your plan ... don't let your emotions take you to bingeing.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,621 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So many people are too impatient these days so aggressive weight loss is what they attempt. It took TIME to put the weight on, it will take time to take it off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is so true - and not helped by medical professionals pushing surgeries & medications that result in fast weight loss but no real education about a healthy lifestyle!