Is soda really "evil"?

Options
I cannot live a life without carbonation. Everyone is always talking about how horrible soda is, my mom won't even buy it. But do you really have to stop drinking soda to be healthy? Is it really that bad? One can a day might be bad, how about once a week at most? Also have any of you ever mixed sprite with fruit juice? It creates the most amazing drink.

I guess I'm asking is if you can have a healthy diet while enjoying soda. I would never drink it every day, like I said once a week at the very very most which happens pretty much never. I recently got some cans of soda and I feel horrible drinking them... can soda stay in a healthy diet when it's used as an occasional treat? As you can see in my picture I am thin, but it's what people call "skinny fat", do I have no hope to become "skinny healthy" if I drink soda?

Either tell me it's ok or try to convince me to stop drinking it with facts about how horrible it is. (please tell me it's ok I love soda)

Replies

• emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm not a regular soda drinker, but I do enjoy one on occasion. I say having one once a week or as a "treat" is perfectly fine. But I'd go for the full sugar version and stay away from diet drinks that contain artificial sweetener.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    No. Regular soda is not evil, nor is the diet version. Unless you have a medical condition, drink it.

and on another note.....this thread may not end well......
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't keep it in the house cause it's expensive but it's dollar drink days, what up Coke Zero?! I have one from time to time. I take Splenda in my coffee every day, sometimes twice.
  • rainn2001
    rainn2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that I have the calories available when I want a soda. I don't see why you can't have just about anything in moderation as long as you are tracking your calories :smile:

1532051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation. Everyone is always talking about how horrible soda is, my mom won't even buy it. But do you really have to stop drinking soda to be healthy? Is it really that bad? One can a day might be bad, how about once a week at most? Also have any of you ever mixed sprite with fruit juice? It creates the most amazing drink.

I guess I'm asking is if you can have a healthy diet while enjoying soda. I would never drink it every day, like I said once a week at the very very most which happens pretty much never. I recently got some cans of soda and I feel horrible drinking them... can soda stay in a healthy diet when it's used as an occasional treat? As you can see in my picture I am thin, but it's what people call "skinny fat", do I have no hope to become "skinny healthy" if I drink soda?

Either tell me it's ok or try to convince me to stop drinking it with facts about how horrible it is. (please tell me it's ok I love soda)

Cause of Cellulite you tell me?
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In moderation....I say Nah...:)
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Yes....stick with bacon.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any need to give it up, nor have I read any convincing research that drinking soda in moderation is unhealthy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    mq1.jpg?v=4f22efa8

stock-photo-14076627-evil-soda.jpg
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Links to bogus studies and tales of aspartame related illness in 3-2-1....
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking diet soda for years and I have not dropped dead. As in all things moderation. I did switch to Soda Stream. Very small amounts of sodium. Usually on about 4mg per liter of Diet Rootbeer. And it is cheaper than coke and pepsi (etc) that you buy in cans at the store.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I drink carbonated fruit flavored water, but I don't think soda is evil (diet or regular) in moderation. I pretty much don't think anything is evil in moderation for most people. Gluten soy and shellfish are evil for me, but that isn't the norm. I have food allergies and celibacy disease.
    Now my friend the dental hygienist thinks it is evil unless you brush your teeth right afterward...but that is about it being bad for your teeth.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can totally drink soda and still be healthy.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Assuming you aren't diabetic, or have other health issue that requires you to stay away from sugar, then proper soda's not evil - it just makes it trickier to get a balanced diet in your calorie allowance.

Diet soda isn't evil either - it just seems that some people report adverse reactions to something in them (assumed to be artificial sweetener). If you aren't one of those people, then I say have at it.

Personally, I don't drink full sugar soda because I prefer to save the calories for food or an alcoholic drink. I don't drink diet soda because I think it tastes bad.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    carbonated water is not "evil" if that is the word you choose to use.

In fact you can create your own soda drinks by squeezing fresh fruit juices, veggie juice and adding these to the carbonated water,
    Carbonated water is fine.

With the sodas it is the added ingredients eg aspartame, the food coloring, the caffeine, the ascorbic acid that people find cause to be concerned about.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Only as evil as a Milky Way. Which is not very evil.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It is indeed the work of shaitan as foretold in the ancient scrolls. How could you possibly question that?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While I prefer soda's made with cane sugar and natural ingredients, they always seem to satiate my craving more... I don't think soda's are inheriently evil... I think people just don't show enough restraint when it comes to moderating their consumption.

btw, you will have to pry dr pepper out of my cold dead hands before I give that up.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2151607361_the_answer_is_no_main_logo_xlarge.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    yep.