Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. It isn't evil.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation. Everyone is always talking about how horrible soda is, my mom won't even buy it. But do you really have to stop drinking soda to be healthy? Is it really that bad? One can a day might be bad, how about once a week at most? Also have any of you ever mixed sprite with fruit juice? It creates the most amazing drink.

I guess I'm asking is if you can have a healthy diet while enjoying soda. I would never drink it every day, like I said once a week at the very very most which happens pretty much never. I recently got some cans of soda and I feel horrible drinking them... can soda stay in a healthy diet when it's used as an occasional treat? As you can see in my picture I am thin, but it's what people call "skinny fat", do I have no hope to become "skinny healthy" if I drink soda?

Either tell me it's ok or try to convince me to stop drinking it with facts about how horrible it is. (please tell me it's ok I love soda)

Cause of Cellulite you tell me?
    Cellulite isn't caused by soda, but more so how one's genetics are. Even slim people get cellulite.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I drink far less of it than I used to, largely because it's difficult to meet my calorie and macro goals if you're drinking a ton of soda...I used to be a 3-5 can per day Mt Dew drinker. I still have soda, but generally only about once per week or so. I do drink a lot of carbonated water with lime.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    yes.

clearly.

stock-photo-14076627-evil-soda.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I cannot live a life without carbonation. Everyone is always talking about how horrible soda is, my mom won't even buy it. But do you really have to stop drinking soda to be healthy? Is it really that bad? One can a day might be bad, how about once a week at most? Also have any of you ever mixed sprite with fruit juice? It creates the most amazing drink.

I guess I'm asking is if you can have a healthy diet while enjoying soda. I would never drink it every day, like I said once a week at the very very most which happens pretty much never. I recently got some cans of soda and I feel horrible drinking them... can soda stay in a healthy diet when it's used as an occasional treat? As you can see in my picture I am thin, but it's what people call "skinny fat", do I have no hope to become "skinny healthy" if I drink soda?

Either tell me it's ok or try to convince me to stop drinking it with facts about how horrible it is. (please tell me it's ok I love soda)

Cause of Cellulite you tell me?

Cellulite?

<-- confused
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Drink flavored seltzer water. No sugar, no artificial sweeteners. Just flavor and carbonation. I don't drink a lot of soda.
    I also just buy club soda and add my own syrup ( IE Torani) at the level of sweetness I prefer. Or make you own flavor syrup using whatever you have around the house. We made some sugar yummy Lavender/honey soda this summer the kids just inhaled by just steeping lavender in honey overnight.

I strongly doubt soda is evil. It's something you need to decide for yourself.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The other issue with soda, which is really just an extension of how hard it is to stay in calories, is the whole 'free refills' thing. It makes it hard to track exactly how much of the stuff you are drinking. Very easy to add several hundred calories to a meal without even realizing.

But again, that's not the soda's fault. If you can moderate, and still get a complete and balanced diet in the remaining calories, chug away.
  • boredeating
    boredeating Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just love root beer. Cellulite doesn't sound fun but like people said, soda doesn't cause it...

I feel better about drinking soda now.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Soda started out as such a good boy. He was raised right, best education money can buy. He just started hanging out with the wrong crowd. First it was his friend "Jack". But Jack made him not think straight and lowered his inhibitions. Then soda was introduced to his girlfriend "Mary Jane". Jack said he should hook up with her so he did. The three of them would hang out with their mutual friend Carl, who nicknamed himself "Lay-Z-Boy". Now Mary Jane was a bit of a glutton so when she would come over they would always eat cheetos, doritos, chinese, order pizza you name it. Before you know it Soda was a no good evil doer.

He is still a good boy, he just is hanging out with the wrong people and now he's got a reputation.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Look diet soda sales are down , the tide is going out on them
    nbc news this Aug/2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/amid-falling-sales-coke-launches-campaign-defend-sweetener-6C10920355

to countert the falling sales Coke is launching a ad campaign. to defend its artificial sweetner.

Personally I don't think it will do much good , In my opinion I believe the tide has turned against diet sodas.

In the Meanwhile if I was looking to drink Vitamin Water the Center for Science in the Public Interest is challenging the wording of the health benefits of the product.
    http://www.cspinet.org/new/201307182.html

The V water by the way has lots of sugar.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Soda started out as such a good boy...
    He is still a good boy, he just is hanging out with the wrong people and now he's got a reputation.

You're mistaken. Soda killed my family and felt no remorse. He's definitely evil.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Soda water is fine by me :devil:
  • ryry_
    Options
    Soda started out as such a good boy. He was raised right, best education money can buy. He just started hanging out with the wrong crowd. First it was his friend "Jack". But Jack made him not think straight and lowered his inhibitions. Then soda was introduced to his girlfriend "Mary Jane". Jack said he should hook up with her so he did. The three of them would hang out with their mutual friend Carl, who nicknamed himself "Lay-Z-Boy". Now Mary Jane was a bit of a glutton so when she would come over they would always eat cheetos, doritos, chinese, order pizza you name it. Before you know it Soda was a no good evil doer.

Are you serious? Soda killed my family and felt no remorse. He's definitely evil.

No....No, no not Soda he is a good boy. I don't believe you. He wouldn't do that.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Well, soda is, nutritionally speaking, useless. It's not good for you, but having it in moderation isn't going to kill you or make you unhealthy-- especially not if you are only planning on having it once a week and have a good overall diet. If you want to cut on calories, drink the diet version instead. Sprite Zero tastes exactly like regular Sprite.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Soda is not evil. Just know what you are getting into when you consume a soft drink. The regular kind can have more sugar per serving than many desserts and has no nutritional value. At least ice cream has nutrients that are healthful, even if it is high in calories.

Diet soda has been shown to slow metabolism and increase appetite, so even the calorie free soda can undo your weight loss efforts.

Then there is the bloat factor. All soda is high in sodium, which will cause you to retain water.

Some sodas are high in caffeine. This can cause problems for some people who are sensitive. It could disrupt sleep, and sleep is important when losing weight. People who are sleep deprived experience increased appetite.

Personally, I love the carbonation. I buy unflavored carbonated water (zero calories) and add a squeeze of lemon or lime for some extra zing. (it's also good with a shot of whiskey :devil: )
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Soda is totally evil. A bottle of Diet Coke beat me up and stole my wallet. :sad:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about controlling your calorie intake then why would you waste nutrient calories on sugar water when there are plenty of diet sodas that taste fine? From a weight control and tooth decay perspective--regular soda is evil incarnate.
  • ryry_
    Options
    Look diet soda sales are down , the tide is going out on them
    nbc news this Aug/2013

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/amid-falling-sales-coke-launches-campaign-defend-sweetener-6C10920355

to countert the falling sales Coke is launching a ad campaign. to defend its artificial sweetner.

Personally I don't think it will do much good , In my opinion I believe the tide has turned against diet sodas.

In the Meanwhile if I was looking to drink Vitamin Water the Center for Science in the Public Interest is challenging the wording of the health benefits of the product.
    http://www.cspinet.org/new/201307182.html

The V water by the way has lots of sugar.

This post isn't even about diet products or vitamin water
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I cut back on the soda drastically, but I have not cut it out. I used to be a 4 can a day Mountain Dew addict. But, nowadays I have a soda once a week or so at the most.

There is no reason to cut it out completely, if you still want to have it every day then do so. Work it in. They have the small 7oz cans now (that is what I used to cut back), have one of those a day...or a week or whatever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, soda is, nutritionally speaking, useless. It's not good for you, but having it in moderation isn't going to kill you or make you unhealthy-- especially not if you are only planning on having it once a week and have a good overall diet. If you want to cut on calories, drink the diet version instead. Sprite Zero tastes exactly like regular Sprite.
    Soda is 99% water. So according to you, that makes water, nutritionally speaking, useless. Which technically, it is. Yes it hydrates, but soda hydrates equally well, as well as food, making water functionally unnecessary.