Losing weight motivation

Options
Hi all I just got back on this app to get in a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. So what I'm wondering is there any tips you guys can give me to keep motivation to work out almost everyday just to keep active. I lack a lot of self motivation and honestly it's the biggest problem in my healthy lifestyle adventure... anything helps even if it's a meditation or affirmations

Best Answer

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Make a program where you do full body and can finish it in 30 minutes and do it every other day.

Leg exercise
    Back exercise
    Chest exercise
    Shoulder exercise
    Arm exercise
    Ab exercise

I can train any client within 30 minutes (which I do with about 90% of my clients) and do full body in 30 minutes this way.

Start with an exercise for each body part that isn't too difficult to perform so that you get used to it. Routine helps to keep people consistent and if you're consistent, you don't need much motivation. You just do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Answers

• Rockymountainliving
    Options
    To lose weight, you don't have to exercise. Just follow the calories assigned by MFP. All I do is walk and garden additionally, which I enjoy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,907 Member
    Options
    I love to garden and walk. I feel happy during and afterwards. It's more the negatives that motivate me though - without my exercise calories, my calorie budget is too small. If I don't do yoga at night, my back hurts in the AM. If I don't get enough exercise during the day, I don't sleep as well. So avoiding pain is a bigger motivator for me.

But what makes it easier is using discipline to create habits so it's just autopilot. Ex: I set an alarm for my evening yoga and just do it. http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • MamaBear5445
    MamaBear5445 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the self motivation, one way to lose weight would be to set yourself some basic rules. You don't need as much motivation for rules.
    - No eating after 7pm (no snacks after supper, or a small snack depending on what time you eat supper at)
    -Only eat at specific times during the day (breakfast, lunch, and supper). And specific snack times if so desired.
    -1 plate at meals. No Second helpings.
    Track your food for a few days without making adjustments to see where you are getting the majority of your calories from, and make a plan from there.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    you can dance to your favorite music in your living room, and if you want, track your heart rate with something to track your calories. or if you're not feeling motivated, get a semi recumbent exercise bike and pedal while watching your favorite show or youtube videos. i find it's super easy and you forget you're even pedaling.

doing something fun means it takes a lot less motivation to do it, and i can work up quite a sweat dancing or pedaling (or on the treadmill) while watching videos.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Try some new things, give them a few days to get past the discomfort and unfamiliarity.

I was scared spitless to try weightlifting, worried about being judged, laughed at for my utter lack of strength, especially at a small competitive gym full of muscle. Instead I found something I love doing, and also found a great community who-if they paid attention to me at all- supported, rather than cut me down.

I broke a toe a couple of weeks ago, so decided to try swimming laps, thinking it would be less stress on my toe. I suck at swimming and thought it would be grunt work to tide me over til my foot heals. Instead, whoaaaaa! Swimming laps is fun and a challenge. It goes into the regular rotation. I still suck, and gasp for air like a beached fish, but that doesn’t mean I can’t try to improve. A new goal!

Yoga? Who’d have ever thought I’d love yoga? I started when still obese, and it immediately clicked for me. With weight loss, my skills have multiplied and I really look forward to several instructors’ classes. A good class feels like fifteen minutes. What? It’s over already?!

I tried spin last year. I love my stationary recumbent bike and I love riding my bike around town, to the gym, to the grocery store. A natural fit, right? Hate it with a passion. Cannot learn to love spin. However, the grand thing about life is, no one can compel me to continue something I loath.

Find what makes you happy and keeps calling you back for more. It makes working “out” feel more like working “on” and there’s a huge difference between the two.
  • _simplicity_
    _simplicity_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    excellent question @lordessofia ... fantastic inspiring/insightful answers @Rockymountainliving @AnnPT77 @kshama2001 @MamaBear5445 @zebasschick @springlering62 ... Thanks everyone for sharing! This is going in my bookmarks for now as an excellent reminder/refresher.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You don’t need motivation! You need discipline.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    You don’t need motivation! You need discipline.

The two can go hand-in-hand. I am very motivated not to put the weight back on, which provides/strengthens the discipline to log/workout.

Maybe we should call it “resolve”. 🤔

And PS: add battle ropes to my ugh list.