when i meet my goal how do i maintain it?

Options
Ive had problems with maintaining my weightloss... either losing more or gaining some. Im not sure how to get a steady weight on the scale, any suggestions? thx! :)

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    It won't be an exact weight, it'll be a range of a few pounds because water weight fluctuates daily.

There are threads you can read over in the Maintaining Weight section with advice from lots of long-term maintainers. Here are a couple of example threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10008273/maintainers-how-do-you-keep-your-head-in-the-game/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1422943/long-time-maintainers-how-do-you-do-it/p1

The best way will be individualized, thing that works works with your preferences, strengths, challenges and lifestyle. But some of those threads will give you ideas to consider.

Good luck, the results are worth it! (I'm in year 7+ of maintaining, after 30 years of being overweight/obese. You can do it!)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    As @AnnPT77 days, it’s a range.

Two months ago I was two below goal, today I’m three pounds above goal. Just like loss, the graph is a constant jagged line, not a flat-line. (Flatlining means you’re dead so that’s good, right? 😂)

It may take you a minute to find your rhythm. Just apply all those awesome habits you’ve developed during loss.

And, once again, for those of you in the back, the best peice of advice I ever got here:

Treat maintenance like you still have ten pounds to lose
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I've seen recs for maintenance phase length being anywhere from two months to however long you were dieting for. It takes diligence to not return to where the body was used to being at. The longer you maintain, the easier that gets.

You'll gain a couple of pounds quickly at first, which is just water weight coming back. As the others said, after that it's a range, say 5 pounds as an example. I'd recommend tracking calories for a while, if not indefinitely, however If you want to stop tracking calories then at least continue tracking your weight and maybe measurements like your waist. If you spot those metrics moving too high for your liking, dial back a bit for a while. That means lose any desserts, choose healthier substitutions, portion control, do a bit more cardio, the usual stuff you're no doubt familiar with.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    My thought is weigh. yourself at least once a week. I think this is why i always lose and regain. I hate the scale and never use it as i lose. However, I lose it all my weight each time.... then it creeps back on and i kid myself. And it is way too late before i catch things.. and then it is .. "here i go again."
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday as soon as I wake up and empty my bladder. :)

I am surprisingly consistent with my weight. My goal weight is between 145 to 150. lately I drop down to 147 then back to 150. I can predict when I am going to retain water. Alcohol and salty foods drives the LBS up but it comes back down when I eliminate water retaining items.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    When you get to your goal eat at new maintenance. It's easy to figure, Whatever your weekly loss the previous 2 -3 weeks is, do the math to see what to add to be at maintenance. Keep an eye on the new calories and adjust as needed.

Unfortunately for many, their current diet calorie amount is their new maintenance. That will be evident if losses slowed for awhile and are now stopped and have been stopped for a bit.

Many (most) make the mistake of losing then the mindset is "job done" and go back to their old eating\drinking habits and the weight goes right bak on and all that work negated.

Maintaining new weight can be more difficult than losing.