Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Best Food to Eat Before Workout

Options
I’m wanting to get away from pre workouts and man made supplements. What is the best food to eat before a workout that will give you an extra boost to your workout?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    Coffee/tea or something else with caffeine? Quick carbs?

I don't usually do anything super-special before a workout, though if it's been a while since I've eaten and my energy level feels a little depressed, I might eat some dried fruit or even candy. For a while, I was on a kick of caramel apple Tootsie-Pop lollipops/suckers, around 70 calories of nearly pure sugar, before weight training. :D I've also kept unsweetened applesauce packets in my gym bag to eat when I had back-to-back group classes (to eat quickly between) or shelf-stable chocolate milk in single-serve boxes.

I don't get very technical or fancy about this stuff, though. Mostly I focus on eating nutritiously in ways that keeps me reasonably full and my energy level up most of the time, and just extend that idea to pre-/post-workout eating. If I subjectively feel like things could be improved, I experiment.

I do supplement creatine among other things, but not timed around workouts.

Others will probably give you better (more technical) advice.
  • littlezz4872
    littlezz4872 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have heard that sour patch kids have the same effect as pre workout. I might have to try them.

Thanks for some tips
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m with @AnnPT77, I don’t do anything technical. I generally have a coffee, and then a slab of cake or something like flapjack. I often eat raisins during my session or fudge, then I have a protein shake made with skimmed milk after. I just need to eat enough calories to get through the session, then I make sure I get enough protein for the rest of the day.
  • littlezz4872
    littlezz4872 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will give that a go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Fruit is usually good because it absorbs fast. Cinnamon toast crunch was a favorite of mine back in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a few teaspoons full of liquorice extract about an hour before a workout. Raises my bloodpressure and the workout works better.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fruit is usually good because it absorbs fast. Cinnamon toast crunch was a favorite of mine back in the day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Is cinnamon toast crunch something you made or bought? Sounds interesting!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a sugary breakfast cereal

450.jpg

To the OP, I don't really do anything in particular for a gym workout. It's usually in the evening after work and I've consumed enough throughout the day to have good, stable energy. Weekend workouts are in the AM and I usually have a few cups of coffee when I wake up and then I go to the gym and eat breakfast when I return. When I was heavy into cycling I did carb load the day before long training rides or races and I had dried fruit and/or jolly ranchers with me for the ride to keep my energy up.

Most pre-workout supplements are primarily caffeine and B vitamins.
  • claireychn074
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a sugary breakfast cereal

450.jpg

To the OP, I don't really do anything in particular for a gym workout. It's usually in the evening after work and I've consumed enough throughout the day to have good, stable energy. Weekend workouts are in the AM and I usually have a few cups of coffee when I wake up and then I go to the gym and eat breakfast when I return. When I was heavy into cycling I did carb load the day before long training rides or races and I had dried fruit and/or jolly ranchers with me for the ride to keep my energy up.

Most pre-workout supplements are primarily caffeine and B vitamins.

Ohh right, thanks! Disappointed, I thought it was like a toast recipe 🤣
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have heard that sour patch kids have the same effect as pre workout. I might have to try them.

Thanks for some tips

That's what happens when you get nutrition/fitness information from Tik-Tok. As mentioned above, fruits for the win.
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have 4 ounces of lean protein with either one cup (cooked) of barley or a serving of oats 30 minutes before working out.