HELP!

Options
I'm always short on carbs, proteins, and calories, but I hit my fats, anyone have any advice? I have a gluten allergy so I can't have wheat. I'm new to counting macros and still learning more everyday. I was also wondering if it's better to go a little over than not meet what's recommended for me and my goals?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Generally you should hit your calorie goal as close as possible. For weightloss, calories are king. For nutrition, general health and satiety macros are kind. But what works is very individual.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    cmikkels91 wrote: »
    I'm always short on carbs, proteins, and calories, but I hit my fats, anyone have any advice? I have a gluten allergy so I can't have wheat. I'm new to counting macros and still learning more everyday. I was also wondering if it's better to go a little over than not meet what's recommended for me and my goals?

If it is still working for you, then I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes with food restrictions, you just have to do the best you can.

But--if you want to change it up, you can make a protein/carb soup that is still low on calories/fat. No gluten I swear.

SAD SOUP:

3 to 4 Medium Potatoes peeled and chopped into knuckle-sized pieces
    5 to 6 ounces of Kroger's frozen pre-cooked breast strips.
    1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen corn kernels
    3/4 cup Kroger, frozen vegetables mirepoix style (onion, carrot, celery)
    Add in black pepper
    Add in onion powder
    Add in garlic powder.
    I use 1 chicken bouillon cube (but you could skip that).

I don't use salt. But if you skip the bouillon cube, you have to add a little salt.

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 6
    Amount per serving Calories 101
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1.1g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0.3g 1%
    Cholesterol 21mg 7%
    Sodium 305mg 13%
    Total Carbohydrate 13.7g 5%
    Dietary Fiber 1.9g 7%
    Total Sugars 1.5g
    Protein 10.3g
    Vitamin D 0mcg 0%
    Calcium 10mg 1%
    Iron 1mg 4%
    Potassium 297mg 6%

COOKING?
    I dump it in my Instant Pot with water. Water --just enough to cover the top of the food. I cook on a pressure cook setting for 55 minutes. However, you can also cook it in a crock pot-just longer. To add flavor, you can use chicken broth instead of water. I don't because I'm watching my sodium. The only thing that really needs to be cooked is the potatoes. It takes longer in the crockpot, cook 4 to 6 hours on high.

MORE FLAVOR
    For more flavor--add some red pepper or other seasonings. The potatoes absorb A LOT of the seasoning so you'll put in more than you think. I add a lot of black pepper because I love black pepper. I didn't put measurements because many people find how much I use too be too strong.

THICKEN
    I can't eat dairy --but if you want to add a touch of milk or cream to the soup, it will thicken it. You can also use cornstarch. I don't mind a thinner soup so I don't do either.

TIPS
    The recipe above uses a lot of frozen pre-cooked items--so it cooks faster. You can substitute roasted chicken or turkey if you don't want to the frozen pre-cooked breast strips. I always use the Kroger strips--as the Tyson ones have a weird flavoring.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Of the three macros - protein, fats, carbs - two of them contain "essential nutrients" in the sense that our bodies can't manufacture them out of anything else, so we need to eat a minimum of them for best health. That would be fats and protein. Carbs are more flexible, i.e., our bodies can manufacture carb-ish things out of other nutrients.

There's nothing sacred about the MFP default macros, and no need to be exactly exact every single day. But the MFP defaults are based on mainstream expert recommendations for the generic average person. They're not a bad starting point to aim for, as we learn more about nutrition.

Because protein and fats are essential nutrients, I treat those goals as minimums, i.e., I try to hit them or go over. Being over (within reason) isn't a problem, as long it doesn't make it impossible to get enough of the other and stay within calorie goal.

As said above, it's calories that matter directly for body fat gain/loss. If you have a goal to gain or lose, you'd want to come close to your calorie goal on average over a few days to a week. (IOW, it's OK to eat a little under some days, a little over on others, averaging out around goal calories, maybe +/- 50ish calories or something.)

So, currently you're under on protein, calories and carbs. In that case, I'd focus first on using some of the available calories to bring protein up nearer your goal, if it were me. This thread might help you identify calorie-efficient protein sources you enjoy eating:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'd suggest thinking in terms of changing your routine eating patterns, i.e, turning changes into habits. The changes don't need to be instantly perfect, more important that they be things we can stick with long term, and that we're moving in a positive direction over time.

Getting enough protein will help you preserve existing muscle as you lose weight, and that's important for long-term thriving.

Nutritionally, being over on fats isn't a big deal as long as you also get adequate protein. In terms of weight loss (if that's your goal), extra fat isn't a problem as long as you're within calorie goal.

Carbs can just fall wherever they end up, as long as you don't discover that you're one of the people for whom too-high carbs spark appetite, or too-low carbs tank energy level. Experience will tell you, if you pay attention to how you feel as you make changes in your eating patterns.

Common sense applies. You'll be able to work things out, as long as you keep chipping away at it.

Best wishes!
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Because protein and fats are essential nutrients, I treat those goals as minimums, i.e., I try to hit them or go over. Being over (within reason) isn't a problem, as long it doesn't make it impossible to get enough of the other and stay within calorie goal.

Nutritionally, being over on fats isn't a big deal as long as you also get adequate protein. In terms of weight loss (if that's your goal), extra fat isn't a problem as long as you're within calorie goal.

I find this immensely helpful! I am also over on fats quite a bit. I find it much easier to focus on one or two nutrients and hitting my goal with those, rather than trying to restrict any one nutrient. Thanks for this!