Chobani Yogurt Recall!!!

Options

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I checked mine and they aren't effected, thank goodness Chobani has great yogurt and is a good company. Things like this could happen in a lot of places. I'm glad they are helping everyone within 24 hours that contacts them regarding this.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    All the more reason not to buy packaged food...
    Yeah, we recently had a fresh cilantro recall in my area...listeria.

All the more reason not to buy/eat food at all. Maybe it's time to consider breatharianism?

With all the polution in the air? No thanks.

Personally, I'm going to stick to the diet my mother had. Eat only what comes out of a packet, preferably things that don't resemble real food in any way, topped up with gallons of vodka and vitamin pills. She lived to 80*

*was about 200 lbs overweight, an alcoholic and died of cardiac arrest following her second stroke, not to mention being those most bitter and twisted woman I have ever met.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can check mine when I get home. We have a couple in the fridge that have swollen lids. I blamed this on the store and not the yogurt since I've gotten some bad stuff from there recently.

Thanks for posting.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    All the more reason not to buy packaged food...
    Yeah, we recently had a fresh cilantro recall in my area...listeria.

All the more reason not to buy/eat food at all. Maybe it's time to consider breatharianism?
    I like the one where you absorb the rays of the sun for an hour each day, but only at sunrise and sunset. Humans only need Vitamin D, don't cha know.

Word. If only starving people around the world would focus their energies on obtaining nutrients from the sun, they would be nourished and healthy! They're obviously just unenlightened.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Chobani is available at costco for less than $1 apiece every time we go ($12 for a 15-pack with 5 each of 3 flavors), and we've never had a puffy or funny tasting one. Also, you get 10% more per individual carton (6oz versus 5.4oz) than you do with Oikos. I tried the Dannon Light & fit ones, but I don't like the overly sweet sucralose taste.

good info to have, for sure... but a bad batch or two out of thousands isn't going to sway me from them. Especially since the symptoms of the bad batch are ones that would make me toss the container anyway.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I checked my Chobani yogurt cups, no puffy lids and no 16-12 numbers on them, so I feel pretty secure that the 10 cups I've got are all good.

I've only once had a problem with their yogurt, and that was my own fault for not checking the expiration dates when I picked them out at the supermarket. Our supermarket is not the best at pulling expired items off the shelves, so while it was the store's fault for still selling them, it was my own fault for not checking the date before purchasing them.

call the health department an report it. They are really strict about this stuff and the store and whoever checks it will get investigated. We used to get visits often because people reported us all the time. (we were really good about pulling product off the shelves though, just people looking to sue cause of where i worked.)

ps. I LOVE chobani. I am upset because I am out of it.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    the Greek yogurt I just ate was Yoplait. Safe! :bigsmile:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bummer ........ at a convenience store I ate one that wasn't that cold and was soupy/already mixed (I mentioned it a week ago in another thread).

I buy them at Costco, no weird lids. I am going to keep eating them, they appear (i hope) to be doing the right thing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if this is a worldwide recall or a US one only?? :huh:

I'm in the UK.

Just come home from shopping and bought 5 as they were on offer in Tesco and it's hard enough to get hold of them as not all supermarkets stock them. None of the lids look puppy and I just had one which was perfect.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    yuck. chobani is gross to me anyway, I much prefer fage. good to know about the swollen lids as well. food that's gone off skeeves me out soooo badly.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd just finished one of the "bad" ones before I saw this on a friend's facebook feed. I had a Key Lime. It was pretty runny, like regular non-Greek yogurt. I hadn't had the flavor before, so I figured it was just different from others. Oh well. It tasted fine, and 45 minutes later I still feel good.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I guess that explains why the Winco near my home last week had no Chobani singles at all on the shelves (just 4 packs). Still I think I better check the stamps on the 4 pack I did buy when I get home just to be safe.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I guess that explains why the Winco near my home last week had no Chobani singles at all on the shelves (just 4 packs). Still I think I better check the stamps on the 4 pack I did buy when I get home just to be safe.

The one I had was from a 4-pack., and it's one of the affected ones. The individual cups within the pack have the code stamped on the lid.
  • kymob
    Options
    can some one tell me what the recall was about Thanks
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I knew something was up.... The "Flip" banana flavored ones I had were so swollen they were about a day away from popping. Ugh so glad I didn't eat em.

I am so weary about sour/rotten things. I once ONCE took a sip of sour milk in elementary school and have never felt the same about milk since. I still won't drink cow's milk. The smell of whole milk makes me cringe.

Very good to know. Might switch to Oikos or Activia Greek. Chobani has been runny and soup recently. If they fix it I may come back to it.

Thanks for posting OP!:flowerforyou:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of these. Threw one away because the lid was swollen and it looked funny when I opened it. I ate the other one, but had never had the flavor before and thought it was just a weird flavor. That was about a week ago (would have to check my diary), but I don't think it made me sick or anything.

ETA: The next time I went to this store, they had already pulled everything off the shelves.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Chobani is available at costco for less than $1 apiece every time we go ($12 for a 15-pack with 5 each of 3 flavors), and we've never had a puffy or funny tasting one. Also, you get 10% more per individual carton (6oz versus 5.4oz) than you do with Oikos. I tried the Dannon Light & fit ones, but I don't like the overly sweet sucralose taste.

good info to have, for sure... but a bad batch or two out of thousands isn't going to sway me from them. Especially since the symptoms of the bad batch are ones that would make me toss the container anyway.

True.... I've never had a problem with Costco's batch. Only Pathmark and Shoprite... hmm.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    can some one tell me what the recall was about Thanks

The news article with all the details is linked in the original post.

I found out about the recall on Friday - Safeway was pulling all Chobani products. I can't stand them to begin with, so I talked the grocer into ordering more of the kind I DO buy, The Greek Gods, because they've not been stocking it off & on for a few months. I end up having to go to the other end of town to buy it...
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I started with Chobani, then Oiko's but just tried Liberte and it is really good, less calories too :) To Echo some of the sentiment that has been said, check your food, it's not one manufacturer, it can happen to anyone, Human error and all that:bigsmile:
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had some of the peach flavor... It had an odd flavor like someone had poured a little beer in it.