Food recommendations

Options
Hey I'm new to all of this my calori goal is to stay under 1400 calories I would like recommendations on some low calorie meals but that can actually satiate me bcuz I'm sick of surviving on V8 and coffee. I don't like being hungry and I don't want to develop am Ed
Tagged:

Best Answer

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Feeling hungry is generally a sugar/carb thing and it's a pretty vicious circle where most people give in and eat and of course gain weight, because hunger.

Most people can't get off that train, otherwise there wouldn't be the obesity problem, anyway, pretty much all people that go on a very low carb diet or a ketogenic diet lose weight without counting calories because it's satiating and it works in conjunction with a few hormones that regulate hunger as well. But and there's always a but, it deals with pretty much exclusively whole foods, lots of animal products and the big one, close to no sugars and of course no yummy processed foods. Too much to ask for most but just thought I'd mention it. Works for me and I postulate any diet where you have to count calories to ward off weight gain is probably one where that person is eating too much of the wrong foods.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some of the recipes in the MFP blog? The ones I've made have been pretty good.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipes/

You can also get ideas of what to eat from various threads around here where people talk about what they're making/eating, such as:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures#latest

I think a lot of us just start logging what we eat (pre calorie cuts), and then take steps to reduce calories from there. For me, and for some other people who've commented about it, logging what I thought I might eat for a meal made it pretty obvious to me which things that weren't worth their high calories to me. I learned how to trim portion sizes or modify recipes to cut the calories down, still eating foods I enjoy.

It's not universal, but many people will find that eating more of so-called "whole foods" is more filling and calorie efficient than eating lots of prepared food products. What those foods are is pretty common sense: Lean meats, fish/seafood, whole grains, veggies and fruits, etc. It doesn't have to be a wholesale complete switch from perceived "bad food" to allegedly "healthy foods". A mix that leans toward calorie-efficient, nutrient-dense foods should be sufficient.

It shouldn't be necessary to live on V-8 and coffee.

Different people will tend to find different things filling, in terms of food choices as well as meal/snack timing. Maybe experiment?

I did that at first, and found that I do best with a solid breakfast that has plenty of protein, protein spread through the day, and a large volume of veggies/fruits at some point in the overall eating schedule daily. That specific formula won't be right for everyone, but I think everyone can figure out what their personal best approach is, if they log food and pay attention to how they feel with different eating patterns.

Best wishes!

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hey I'm new to all of this my calori goal is to stay under 1400 calories I would like recommendations on some low calorie meals but that can actually satiate me bcuz I'm sick of surviving on V8 and coffee. I don't like being hungry and I don't want to develop am Ed

Chicken and Potato Homemade Soup

Frozen Chicken Breast strips (pre-cooked)
    Potatoes
    Frozen corn kernels
    Frozen chopped onion, carrot, celery
    water
    chick bouillon cube
    Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder

Cook in instant pot or crock pot.

Six servings
    170 calories per serving.

STEAK, POTAOTES AND GREEN BEANS

3 ounce grilled steak 175 to 210 calories.
    half a cup of roasted baby potatoes 90 calories.
    half a cup of green beans with garlic 50 calories
    MEAL: 325 calories

EGGS, TOAST, BLUEBERRIES

2 Fried eggs in spray oil
    170 calories (85 calories each)
    Wheat toast WITH butter is 108 calories. Without butter --64 calories.
    1/2 cup calories of blueberries. 30 calories

MEAL: 308 Calories

High Protein Pancakes and Turkey Sausage

Half a cup of Kodiak Protein Pancakes 190 Calories
    Kroger Sugar free Maple Syrup. 15 Calories 2 Table spoons.
    It will make 2 to 3 pancakes with syrup. Kroger sugar free syrup is one of the few the tastes good.
    Don't want sugar free or syrup? Then just puree berries and eat on stove. Pour over waffle or pancakes.

Jimmie Dean Turkey Sausage. 3 Links. 130 Calories.

335 Total Calories.

QUICKIE SALMON
    Chicken of the Sea Smoked Salmon Pack 70 Calories

Eat with roasted sweet potatoes or air fried broccoli.
    Sweet Potato (85 Calories) or 1 cup of air fried broccoli (60 Calories)
    5 WHOLE WHEAT crackers 70 Calories

Apple slices (1 small apple) 80 Calories

280 Total Calories

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    No need to eat specific things. However what keeps us full is very individual, though lots of people seem to find protein-rich food filling (not me) or potatoes (maybe because they are very dense). Other people are happy on a high fat diet. What keeps you full normally? Can you eat some more of that and less of other things? If you really don't know then why not start slower? Chose the slowest weightloss goal and eat according to this, and note down how you feel after a meal. If it wasn't filling then try something else. Don't punish yourself for not finding the right kind of food that keeps you full and happy at first. It's a process, not a sudden switch.