Every January I come crawling back here...

Options
JustaNoob
JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
I need to lose this weight. But as the years tick onward... my confidence and motivation to do so keep decreasing.

I try to think of the ways that I have been successful in the past and I've always done best when I was in a community with others on the same journey who I could vent to, share successes, and encourage in their own journey. I have plenty of people who support me in my life... but none my size, trying to lose weight... so it's really one sided.

I would love to meet some women around my size who really want to lose weight this year and enjoy a little chat therapy lol. I'm 36, f, 256lbs and 5'5.

Replies

• danninicole5682
    danninicole5682 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We are close to same size. 5 6 and most recently 262 female. Also come crawling back every so often but always around the new year! Lol
  • bekbok34
    bekbok34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, it’s been a while since I have been on MyFitnessPal however I’m in the same boat… I’m 5ft 7 size 20/22 282lbs, slightly older than you (47) but I need to do this before i reach 50! 😛
  • Aswennu
    Aswennu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm pretty close to your stats. I'm 36 as well and am sitting at 240lbs right now. I'm a bit taller (5'8). I'd love to have some like minded friends to work with. Feel free to add me :)
  • mccallum2013
    mccallum2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I too do better in community with others. I am 5'7 and about the same weight as others in this group. I am looking forward to reaching goals and building community with all of you
  • JustaNoob
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I sent you friends requests. Cheers to the new year!
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    @JustaNoob same boat here. Just turned 40, F, 230lbs 5’4”
    Feel free to add me!
  • AnnetteGH4L
    AnnetteGH4L Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Annette and I have been struggling also. Good luck in this New Year, you can do this
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,328 Member
    Options
    JustaNoob wrote: »

Last year, I think I just tried to control the outcome so much that I got burnt out when things didn't go my way. I weighed and measured everything I ate. I kept a spreadsheet showing how much calories my apple watch showed me burning vs how much I ate, and how much weight I should lose each day. When the scale wasn't matching the spreadsheet, I started getting really frustrated. It did not occur to me until later that maybe I wasn't burning as much as what my apple watch said. To me, it felt like I was working hard and putting in all the effort to weigh and measure everything and I still wasn't hitting my goals. This was from January to May-- and I did lose 20lbs-- I just didn't appreciate it and could only see what I "should have" lost.

1 January through 31 May is 22 weeks. You lost 20 pounds in 22 weeks. That's almost a pound a week. That's actually a reasonably fast pace. You were getting it done! If it was 1 January to 1 May, that's only 18 weeks, so you would have been losing a pound and a quarter per week. That's fast.

When you "weighed and measured," did you actually weigh everything or did you use scoops and spoons for some things? That can add error, and if it's something high calorie, like dressings or oils, it can add up FAST. It's also very possible like @AnnPT77 wrote, your wrist device isn't giving you the best data.

What you might consider doing this time is what you did that January through May, but instead of wondering why your results don't match your expectations, you just revise your expectations based on your actual data. You do have to log honestly and completely for this to work. You can even get good estimates for your calorie burns from your activity.

I also picked up some bad habits in the new job, like always getting a cookie in the cafeteria, or eating a full breakfast platter every morning, or afternoon trips to the gift shop to grab some candy.

If you do that, log it. Completely. Honestly. It's data. And maybe make small changes to these routines and make newer and better habits.

I really want to be that moderate person who can just eat two oreos and walk away... but it just isn't working out.

There were some foods I eliminated for a while. I had more willpower in the grocery than at home. It wasn't oreos for me. Those aren't so hard. Mine was crunchy salty things. I had no problem leaving them in the store, but if they came home... they didn't stand a chance. I even eliminated cheese for a while. It's back, and sometimes it wins. Sometimes it's just delicious and I can make it last all week.

It does take time to build new habits. The main thing to remember is don't quit. Stick to it. Slow and steady. If you have a bad day, just get started again immediately. Now. Not tomorrow or next week - now.
  • MayvieIRL
    MayvieIRL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all, similar situation here, 38 F, thinking I'm probably starting again around 282lbs, will check in the morning, at 5ft4. Having once competed in strength sports I have no issue being bigger but I hate the softness and jiggling that has taken over a once strong and solid body! Would love some friends for the road ahead.
  • melissaaridgeway
    melissaaridgeway Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2
    Options
    I just wanted to post and send some encouragement your way. First off, you're here. That's more than you were a little while ago. Several other users have pointed out some really good points - you did lose weight last year but I think your bar, and expectations, were set in stone a little too much. Weight loss, and health in general, needs to be more flexible and fluid. Our lives are full of chaos and uncertainty despite how much of a routine we stick too. Weight loss is kind of the same thing.

I learned last year that I relied too much on my devices and technology than listening to my own body. I was losing weight at a steady pace and then I wasn't. Nothing had changed so what happened? For me, it took me a whole month to realize that my calorie limit hadn't adjusted in the MFP app despite my weight being lower. My body was needing less and technology had failed me due to a glitch because I was relying on it too much.

Sometimes weight loss errors can be as simple as technology being wrong. Sometimes it involves more in depth medical evaluation. Sometimes it's something in-between and unidentified. One of the issues I see several people on here make is overestimating how much activity they actually get, either because their fitness device isn't calculating right or they are just assuming they are doing more when they aren't. And if you eat those calories, that can cause a stall or gain in some people.

If you're in a place where you can make an appointment with your provider to see a dietician to get evaluated, that could be an option. You may also have some medical issues hindering your weight loss that your doctor can test to be sure that's not an issue.

I'm not any kind of expert, so please don't take my suggestions as any kind of actual health and fitness advice. They are just some thoughts I had that you may not have considered yet. But you can work through this. You can figure it out. You can lose weight. <3
  • Rockymountainliving
    Rockymountainliving Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would say if sugars are your downfall, especially at work, reduce that temptation. Bring some nibbles to work that are sweetish and treaty. No sugar dried fruit, high protein low calorie granola bar, healthy type yogurt. After a couple weeks, you won't crave the sugar as much.
  • mochabearmommie3
    mochabearmommie3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Relatable post.. 40/f/265/5'3

I had my 3rd child in July - prior to that I was the happiest I'd been with my weight and body since being a teen. I was 10 lbs from my 1st goal weight ( I really wanted out of the 200sClub). I was doing Amoila Caesar's 645 workout for going on my 3rd round. My eating habits were pretty good, I slowed down drinking as much and was overall pretty content.

I'm looking at myself now and every day I have to remind myself to have grace with myself. I stress ate alot during the last 3 months of my pregnancy and 3 months after. I gave birth via c section to a beautiful baby boy that I had no intention on having lol. My older 2 will be 18 and 15 in February. Recovery of my body was slow and painful; the internal just the same. Still healing each day...

Right now I am working on my food relationship (yet again LOL) and I am also starting Shaun T's Dig Deeper program with my s/o. Now that the holidays are gone, we can focus even more. I'm trying to be proactive with little changes - bringing premade protein shakes to work, drinking more water by a specific time, eating "clean" as much as possible. I expect there to be unexpected challenges ahead. Shxt, I injured myself the week the program started. But I waited a few days to start training again and recover. I plan on bringing an extra pair of clothes to work so I can take walks on my breaks on the days I'm here, even though its cold asf. Hybrid model work - 3 days in, 2 at home. Fasting as long as I can, at least until 11am on office days; for some reason, I can go longer when I'm home.

I'm going to continue to fight, Continue to push, Continue to start over... I implore you to do the same :) we can do this...
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I sent you friends requests. Cheers to the new year!

I'll join that club! Feel free to add me. I'm 210lbs and 41 years old. I keep staring off good and then failing. Need friends to help keep me accountable.
  • Sassymom1976
    Sassymom1976 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! The more the merrier. I’ve been slowly but surely losing since September and it’s been great. I wasn’t great on logging/tracking so that’s my next step.
  • cortsworld
    cortsworld Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    35 years old, 5’4” and 236. Just was put on Blood pressure medicine. Here to get the weight off and get off my meds! Give me an add if you’d like an accountability buddy 🙂
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 807 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    Here to mention that losing .5 lbs to 1 lb a week is good progress. It’s not “nothing” or “slow”. Expecting more can lead to a break down, halt your ability to be consistent, and prevent reaching your goal. Pass it on. Happy New Year! 🥳
  • JustaNoob
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

May I suggest that focusing on the process (vs. outcome)? The process is what we can control. I'm talking about things setting calorie/nutrition goals, weighing in or measuring progress regularly, logging food, doing new exercise, etc. If we hold ourselves to account for doing the right process, results will follow . . . but on their own timeline, usually trends over weeks, not one day to the next. Maybe focus on the part you control, the actions, rather than the outcome you influence by those actions?

Thanks! I do really find this idea helpful. Like.. enjoying the journey rather than just being focused on results. I always enjoy the actual losing weight... but maybe this time around I need to be less laser focused on the numbers and enjoy the scenery a little more.