WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Allie- what a great photo!

Heather - I agree about fewer photos when we were younger. I think there were a few reasons besides us being busy. Film was expensive, we didn’t have cameras at our fingertips all the time and we ended up behind the camera a lot.
    I am not 100% sure. When I think of plastering I think of the whole wall being plastered. Mudding is filling the cracks and screw heads on the drywall/gyproc.
    We had plaster and lathe walls growing up and it was much thicker than the mud compound.

Annie - Happy to read you go out for a bit, it’s so important.
    Your Dad is of the generation that he may think you “need a man to take care of you”. He may be worried that he won’t be there to do it.
    We all know we don’t need it and sometimes would probably be easier not to, but it’s sweet he’s asking.

Lanette - I have been talking since 2020 of using Mom’s and Grammie’s diaries to write a book for my girls about the memories of my youth that their writing conjures. I’ve finally decided the years I’m going to do and I have a plan formulated in my head. I just need to get at it.

There were a lot of weather related days, what they had for supper, where/what Dad/Grampie were doing type of days.

😂 I literally laughed out loud at the idea of the hens listening to recess being over.

Lisa - what a productive day yesterday. I don’t know how those cans end up expiring. I’m not even sure that they actually do. Isn’t that a lot of what gets stored for years in a safety bunker for people that think that way? Do they clean it out and throw things away every couple of years?
    We have spray foam insulation in strategic places for stopping mice too. We had a few when we moved here and I am not willing to put up with it.
    Your blue cabinet gave me an idea of how I want to paint the house. I’m going to have to wait until next week but I have the plan in place now.
    I love your change to the pantry.

I am so fortunate that Rodger does not drink on a regular basis at all. We buy a pint when we go camping but that’s about once a year. I was with a guy that drank before him and that’s one reason he doesn’t, the other is that he grew up with a Dad that drank and he won’t admit it but I know from other family members it was hard.
    His vice is smoking. I wish he would stop that. He’s starting to cough a lot when he’s laying down and it bothers me. I know I can’t force him to stop it, he needs to decide on his own.

Heather - I ordered your book! It should be here tomorrow.

Margaret - you worked hard to make it a beautiful service. I hope you can find some quiet time soon.

Rebecca - I admire how you clean a room! I can’t imagine DH doing something like that, he only ever goes to the hardware store or Canadian Tire. He has been known to drop some bucks in there though.
    I think your sons will appreciate a Christmas night. What fun!

Joy - isn’t this weather beautiful! It’s so going to hurt when it gets cold again, which I’m sure it will before Spring.

Lanette - I know a lot of people that use “the weed that shall not be named” for pain relief. Some doctors are even recommending it here.

Ginny - I’m so blessed to have it, I just don’t know what to do with all of it. I am thinking of sending some to the provincial archives in NB. Maybe some long distant relative would appreciate it.
    When the next generations are small, and your grandparents are both the baby in the family I guess it falls to you naturally.

I didn’t do much today but laundry and run to Dollar Tree.
    I bought stuff for Lauryn’s party next week. I also picked up a few things for Kaitlyn’s scrapbook.
    2nd coat of mudding was done today, he’ll come back tomorrow to do the 3rd coat then Tuesday for the sanding I assume. I’m so excited.

Tracey in Edmonton

Yes I think the Christmas night will be great. Will cook up a feast that day as well. My eldest will open his pushy pillow, and youngest will get the $100+ Japanese carpenter pants (that he knows about🙄😁). Sometimes its best to ask questions to get the right kinds of things.
    Awe don't admire my room cleaning lol! Its not done often enough, but when I do ever get around to doing it, I give it the full treatment. Cleaned all surfaces too!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    MFP Weekly Check-in January 29, 2024

Rita in Roswell, NM - Well, my swollen tummy and pain has gone away. This results in no more water weight gain, and the change in diet for my kidney health has improved! It also helped me to lose 1.8 pounds last week! YAY, I’m on a roll!

Sue in WA State - Made it to water exercise twice this past week. Yay! yoga stretches 7 of seven days. Strength and balance only 4 of 7 days. Walk 5 min 6 of 7 days. Not eating after dinner 5 of 7 days. Current weight 225.5. Tendonitis in ankle is doing better.

Kylia in Ohio - Grrr! scale up 1/2 pound yesterday and today. I know processed food is the culprit. I actually had scale showing 1.5 pound loss 3 days this week. oh well. It is birthday week for DH and I so will have to do basics bit will enjoy the week.

Evie in BC - Have to record a stay the same this week, even though I was down .6 yesterday. Apparently last nights dinner was too salty, something I suspected when my rings got tight after dinner. But that’s okay, far better than a gain!

Lanette in SW WA State- weight staying in goal range. Have added a 10-minute walk with weights before breakfast and walk with 8# weight vest (while carrying 3# weights in each hand) 10 minutes a day. Now total 40 minutes of walking with weights, 10 min 4X per day. I keep learning and picking up tips from you gals here and am very grateful.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,256 Member
    edited January 29
    Options
    John got his book on by just allowing Anazon to fit it into the pages with their magic wheels and cogs. By previous experience, that is not perfect, :# but done is better than perfect.

John Ward - The Coiled Shell. Anglo-Saxon murder mystery. A female hero called Winfrith. Seventh in the series.

Had delicious Hairy Bikers for dinner.

Quiet evening. Michael Moseley is on my TV menu.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Sorry slept in,didn't get to sleep until late,tossing and turning last night.. and woke up ,called to see if I had gone for my monthly bloodwork ,which I hadn't, so drove down to the shoreline to get a quick 5 minute blood draw and come back home.. Siri and Alfie still at odds hopefully they will get to where they will tolerate each other eventually.
    Puff the magic dragon.. a no no in my family growing up because it was about that bad bad ,weed that shall not be named.my mom wouldn't let me listen to music except what she listened to until I was in my teens
    But I still loves all the music she played,all the show tunes,from Rogers and Hammerstein ,Harry Bellefonte, the Kingston trio ,irish music..
    Ahhh yes ..I even taught my kids and Tal the unicorn song
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- 2hrs 6min 54sec, 61elev, 2.81ap, 79ahr, 93mhr, 6.07mi= 584c
    Strava app = 743c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 52.18min, 594elev, 97aw, 17.4amph, 88ahr, 107mhr, 15.3mi= 240c
    Strava app= 290c
    Zwift stats- 52.19min, 595elev, 97aw, 43arpm, 17.32amph, 15.1mi= 291c

Kirby stayed back and painted, I walked the kids

Total cal 824
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,762 Member
    Options
    Heather - I’m on page 30 already! I’m enjoying it.

f384furq83fz.jpeg
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Tracey! Reminded me long enough to actually get over to Amazon and get my own copy. :smiley:
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Margaret: So pleased for you that the Funeral went well. It is nice to have a nice memory of the funeral. My decluttering course talks about memory boxes and I have started one for my DH. Then I will have this box to pass on to my son in an organized way and I enjoy finding items to place into it. I also have started a scrap book where I am going through photo albums and selecting pictures with my DH in them and adding them to a scrap book. And I have some brown picture frames to match the fireplace where I will put some pictures that I want to hang on the wall. I am a widow almost a year and it has taken a year for me to get to the point of doing these things.

Heather: Congrats on you book. I will have to read it. Great that your John is appreciative of it!

Debbie: My sympathy on the passing of your Mom's dog.

Tina: I hope you enjoy the yoga classes that are near you!

Grandmallie: Love the picture of you in your 20s.

Machka: Great about organizing the race. Very cool about being on live radio!

Kylia: Great if your DH cuts down on beer. I would think that would help his blood sugar!

Tracey: Great going on organizing! Interesting about Grammie's wedding dress!

Annie: I hope you do do some more writing. There are so many writing groups. Are you a member of any. I am a member of the Summiteers on Facebook. One summer I paid to do a writing group with 2 other ladies. We met by zoom every Monday all Summer long. I had started a novel based on the 1920s but then the computer I was using broke and the repair shop wanted 600 dollars to fix it. I have not done this but am thinking about having it repaired so I can get my story off of it.

Welll my son and his wife came Saturday and stayed until 7:30 last night. I was very tired today and kept napping. I feel much better now! But of course it is 6pm! I have started a series Dance Life on Prime which is about the Brent Street Dance School near Sydney Australia. They do keep the students on edge about being the best!

However this does inspire me to be in touch with my body and to get some exercise and move. I have never exercised so little in my life. This is because I fatigue so easily that the hours in the day seem shorter. I can't wait for the light in the
    early mornings!

I hope to do 3 or 4 miles in the next hour by video since I slept much of the day!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Geogia
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,058 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie I started a novel about a military explosives expert whose family was targeted by a terrorist. It was sort of a murder mystery, located in Maryland. As I got further along, it became more and more of a memory challenge to keep the elements of the story straight. So I got a few chapters done and then I stalled out. Now it's on my previous laptop, so that's a challenge.

I've had a number of concussions, and I'm not sure my little dented brain is capable of a book length work, especially a mystery with multiple suspects. And I'm not sure why I would put in the work. But on the other hand, it was a good story.

If I'm just doing it for fun, maybe short stories would suit better. Hmm. Something to think about. I joined a writing group but they were more advanced and into publishing, so I let it go. I'm not ready to even think about that. Kudos to you Heather! It's a long challenging journey, and you did it!

Meanwhile I am starting to close out my Mom's banking and insurance. Lots to do.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Kylia-hope migraine better today. Any chance they are hormonal? They may leave when fully through change.

Lisa-I'm with you-the UTIs get very tiresome.

Heather-I think even if we don't say it, they can hear us thinking "I told you so."

Rita-ok, so Annie started "Puff" with a couple of her descriptions-it just made me happy to see the words. Creative way of handling your internet stuff.

Lanette-vest came today. Wore it for 10 minutes walking in house-shoulders started getting tired then. Didn't hurt shoulders.

Rebecca-leave it to a man-he just had that one job-get the stamps!

Pip-I like the wall color.

I never bought into the Puff marijuana legend. The poem was written in the late 50s before cannabis was so wide spread. The author consistently denied the connection. I guess people will always engage in wild speculations. Some things may be just what they seem-in this case a song about the loss of innocence, which was a very popular theme in poetry and music in the period. And I never believed Paul McCartney was dead!

Busy day today-more personnel stuff-I swear it is something in the water. One involves someone we thought has been a pot stirrer - and they may be giving the proof. They make me tired.

Foot better today. I work support stockings (realized I had just been wearing my Columbia and Bomba socks (due to cold!). Going to go back to traditional support. Also go the foot brace thing-will try it tonight.

Need to clean kitchen and do just a little bit of stuff for work.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Squirrel!😂😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Got home a bit ago from mom's.
    Was nice spending time with her. Glad I was there this weekend.
    No serious talk but that can wait. Her little dog that she has had for about 15 yrs passed away sometime early this morning. We new it was soon but still hard.
    I went out and dug the whole next to the little cemetary they have out front(dad, uncle,cousin and aunt are all buried there). She is buried close to my dad now. Where mom wants to be buried.
    Going to try and catch up on what has happened on here while I was gone. 5 pages behind.

Weather is amazing today- was 77 while driving through St.Helena. 73 when I got home. Wearing a tank top today. Know it won't last- rain coming back this weekend

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

So sorry about the little dog!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Worked then senior bowling. No ceramics tonight since they’re having a group but we have it Thursday. I honestly don’t think the gal who used to run it would do something like this – have it another night since we couldn’t have it monday. Took my walk around the neighborhood and vacuumed the downstairs where the trees were. I’ll probably have to do it again, but at least it’s SOMEWHAT clean.

Ginny – hope you did get that UTI early. Get better fast

Lisa – great job

kylia – happy birthday to your dh

Barbara – I don’t even know If I can find seitan around here. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen it. Oh, maybe in a health food store. But I can’t remember the last time I was in the one and only health food store around here. But I will be careful, thanks

Remember I told you about the callous-type thing and the orthopaedist said it was because of my tight calves? Well, I got a pair of shoes for work and with the orthotic, they really really hurt my one toe. I got two pairs of shoes for work so I’ll take one back. It’s vinyl so I may look for a material type. I do stretch it some at work. I have to consciously think about stretching it.

No special plans for tomorrow. Ceramics at night. Made fudge to take since they’ll be celebrating the birthdays in January.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Foot feeling better today. Don't know if it was Friday electrical stimulation treatment, weather or what but I will take it. Got my two mile walk in today. I did order one of the plantar fascia splints-figure it won't hurt to see if keeping it stretched at night helps. It should be here tomorrow. I don't think there are any other conditions I can get in that one foot! I did not do anything for work since Friday evening, but my house looks much better!

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

The arthritis in my feet has good days and bad days. Mine is in the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint of both feet. That's the joint where the big toe meets the foot. It's a very common arthritis also known as Hallux rigidus.

According to my most recent X-rays it has moved into "severe" (Grade 3, perhaps).

Good days mean that there is a dull ache.

Bad days mean that much of the foot hurts a lot ... enough to keep me awake at night ... and in odd ways. The joint hurts, of course, but for example, it will feel like my toenail area hurts too, so I'll cut my toenails and oddly, sometimes that will offer a tiny amount of relief.

Lately, the joints where the next 3 toes join the foot also hurt when I'm having a flare-up. When that happens, massaging those joints and also the ball of the foot seems to help a bit.

The whole thing is really annoying and painful.

At some point, when I get energy back, I'm going to have to start going through my shoes because there are quite a few that I don't think I'll be able to wear again.

Machka in Oz