Why do you excercise, really?

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Do what makes you happy. There are too many crappy things in life that are not optional.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    I exercise to improve my odds of outrunning the grim reaper. I nearly died from cancer when I was 25. But I was pretty fit, thanks to being in the military. That level of fitness is probably what helped me survive until I could get to the right doctors AND probably better prepared my body to endure the treatment.

However, I tend to focus more on personal progress than the standards or performance levels of others. My run today wasn't as fast as my coworkers, nor was it at the level some people expect me to be at. But I DID run 0.2 miles per hour faster than I did, yesterday, so I consider that a "win".

I've also gotten into a situation where, if I don't work out for more than a couple days, I start getting very irritable. So exercising also helps me keep my modds in check.

The pleasant side effect is that I look better in the mirror, too.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    I used to exercise because I didn't want to be fat. Now that I've discovered lifting, I exercise because I love it.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    I exercise for my mental health more than anything. I enjoy my morning hikes/walks. My mind wanders, I see all kinds of wildlife, the fresh air wakes me up and I just feel better all around afterwards. I don't care about winning any speed or endurance awards. I don't care about competing in anything. I just like the way I feel afterwards - mentally more than physically! The physical benefit, for me, is just an added bonus, not my motivating factor. In my mind, if I push myself past the point of enjoying it and it becomes work or a chore, I'm not going to do it, and then what is the benefit in that?
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I exercise for two reasons -- (1) I feel strong and confident when I do (2) I want to be able to eat more than 1510 calories in a day.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    If its not fun, then whats the point?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    just to stay SMOKIN HOT./
    no biggie.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Well, OP, I think my answer depends on where you are at physically and what your goals are. I'm guessing that since you cycle regularly, you probably aren't obese. I'll assume you are no more than 20 lbs from your ideal weight.

In which case, my answer is don't take the fun out of your cycling. You enjoy it. You could maybe make it more intense, go a little faster or a little further, but if you do this for pleasure, do it for pleasure.

I would say that if you are looking to lose weight or be more fit, you should not consider this bike ride your "work out," rather consider it your fun time or cross training for your real work out. And then start doing something else more intense for your work out. It helps to mix things up. Also, yes, I like resistance training and I think it should become part of the routine.

When I was obese and started losing, I didn't add any new "exercise" into my life. I just became more active. I already ran a few miles a couple times a week (yes, I did this regularly when I was obese. I ate a lot!).... but I started to go on more hikes, more bike rides, more adventures. That helped burn calories. I logged it as "exercise" but I didn't consider it a work out. I still do those things. I still log them. But that's not my work out. My work outs are two things: my runs and my lifting sessions. Everything else I do for fun. And my work outs are not always unfun. Sometimes I really enjoy running. Sometimes I kinda dread it. Lifting is the same. But I make myself do it because it's what I need to do. I never dread a hike or a bike ride. Or a surf session. So for me, some is active living and having fun, and some is exercise that I do whether I want to or not.

I just think bicycling gives you joy and should be part of your active living. You should do something else for a work out on top of that.

My two cents!

ETA: I live an active lifestyle because it's fun. I work out because it gets me high, it makes me feel strong, and I want to have endurance and strength.

This. My work outs are also running and lifting. I cycle because it's fun and I love it and many times that is my hubby and I's only time spent together each week since we're both so busy on opposite schedules. That's not exercise. It’s for the fun of pushing the pedals and discovering something new in the limited time we have.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    I workout because I don't think there is anything cooler than transforming your body. There's no better feeling for me than accomplishing something in the gym that I didn't think I could do. It's the easiest way to build confidence.
    This and so that I can eat and lose weight. It does make you feel good though and I encourage anyone who is not exercising to start...
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Weight is 70%, 30% fitness (courtesy of Cindi Whitmarsh - professional trainer).....I exercise for my health, to help with my weight and because it makes me feel good. I don't do workouts that I hate, because that would defeat the purpose of working out for endorphins.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    If you enjoy cycling the way you do and you have fun, then keep doing that. There is no need to make it less fun. If you were training for something specific then you would need to buckle down and do the work (but you would only do that if it was something you enjoyed). But, otherwise, exercise should be a benefit to your life emotionally as well as physically. You could try adding in some bursts of higher intensity, but still continuing with your enjoyable bike rides for most of the time (if you want). Or, as someone else mentioned, you could add more to your exercise regimen and do some strength training to boost your weight loss and fitness progress (that would be my recommendation).

If it isn't fun you will lose the joy and not want to stick with it.

I exercise to look good, to feel good, to have a healthy, mobile, and not painful body, and to improve my dance training.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    1. To eat more.
    2. To look hot.
    3. To be awesome.

That about covers it.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    I like exercizing! Over the years, many well-meaning people had advised me to take up their favourite "easy" sport - moderate cycling, walking, etc.
    In fact, I have discovered that I enjoy a kickass fitness workout. It makes me want to eat less. I am in a better mood. It is FUN!
    (and, as a stay-at-home mother of three young children, it is my only "me-time" - I can't even have a shower on my own!)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Do I need to start cracking the whip on myself?

No. Period. Anyone who is saying otherwise is a moron based on what you wrote and are setting you up for a lack of working out period.

It would be better to increase your riding in ways you enjoy than to "crack the whip" and try to force yourself to do something you dislike. If you burn yourself out or hate it and quit doing it you're going to be far worse off than if you just extend it and enjoy what you're doing. Do more of what you enjoy.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    I exercise because I enjoy it! It is a great stress reliever and makes me feel good.:happy:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands. They just don't.

A++++

Definitely! I stopped exercising in my 2nd pregnancy. My husband said I turned into a psycho! Never again will I stop exercising!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Don't do something that will stop you from exercising altogether. Maybe you could modify your route to include some hills, or the first and last third or the ride can be leisurely and chatty while you really push it for the middle section (and since you are pushing it maybe that section can be a further distance even if it is the same duration)?
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    So I can eat all the bacon.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Originally to lose weight.

Now, to lose weight, to test my own endurance, to feel better, to keep stomach issues in check, to form good habits :)
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Growing up I was always active.... My grandmother (who assisted in raising me) had a very simple rule, if it was nice outside you played outside. All I had to do was stay within earshot of her whistle. I rode my bike everywhere, I walked, I ran, I played football and soccer.... I can even remember going outside for some activities in the rain. As I got older, I continued with that. My mother's second husband was a weight lifter, and I started doing that as well. I loved how I felt after all this exercise.

I'm not sure where I lost that, but somehow/where I stopped being so active. It's easy to blame the kids and not having time, or my car accidents that left me with back and nerve issues, but really I think I just stopped making it a habit and forgot how good it made me feel.

I'm slowly but surely adding daily exercise back into my life and making it a habit instead of a chore! I love how I feel afterwords.... well for the most part (right now the pain is bad) and the energy I have when I'm done is just incredible. It is without a doubt the best "drug" ever :wink: