Back again!

Options
Hi all haven’t been on MyFitnessPal in quite some time. Back again, and just had a birthday. Yikes! Need motivation to lose 30 pounds at least. How does anyone that may be living in this polar vortex that we are in right now keep motivated for exercise and what exercises are you doing?

Replies

• whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I keep in mind that I can't wait to feel motivated. Our brains would just rather not expend energy needlessly, so I have to go and do my activity anyway. I set small goals and find ways to make any little progress feel like VICTORY. I'm currently trying out new yoga studios on a New Member plan, so I can go to as many classes as I like for two weeks for a base price.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I share your concerns. I'm in and out of official polar vortex (mid-palm of lower Michigan), but my preferred activities are outdoor and not very compatible with snow/ice.

I've been active athletically now for far longer (22-ish years), than I've been at a healthy weight (almost 8 years now). Even before the weight loss, I'd gotten into an OK-ish Winter routine.

A few things help:

For one, I don't want to start conditioning from ground zero every Spring. That's extra true now that I'm 68, so I de-condition with inactivity faster than I used to.

For two, if I'm inactive (couch lump style) for very long, I start feeling crummy: Tense, moody, stiff, etc. That will usually get me going again, just to feel better.

For three, I try to make my Winter exercise into a thing I just do because it's a thing I do (analogous to washing dishes or doing laundry), rather than being something that I make a decision to do do every single time. I strive to set myself a schedule, and stick to it unless I have a good reason to rearrange.

I used to use "appointment workouts" more, and still do to some extent: That's setting up my activity plans to involve group classes, or "meet a friend" activities, so that the thing is scheduled formally for a date/time, and I just go do it because of that commitment.

Another thing that helps is having some at home workout options. Even for someone new to it with limited/no equipment at home, there are lots of online video options to check out. (There's a thread over in Fitness and Exercise where people post the video workouts they're doing, which can be a source for ideas: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796095/what-youtube-workout-did-you-do-today#latest).

There's also a strength training thread with programs other MFP-ers have enjoyed, including some bodyweight programs that require minimal or no equipment. (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1)

Because I've been active for quite a long time, even while obese, I've accumulated quite a number of at-home workout toys, some of which I use regularly, others less often. The more pricey ones, I didn't get until I was sure I'd use them, and I do.

But there are a variety of things a beginner could consider that aren't super expensive, if they sound like they might be fun: Resistance bands, jump rope, suspension trainer (there are good quality knockoffs less expensive than branded TRX), sliders, stability ball, maybe even a kettlebell or some other multi-use weight, etc. Used exercise equipment is often much less expensive than new, but of course it's important to make sure before buying that it's in very good condition.

Obviously, it helps if I try to do things I find relatively more fun. Miserable, punitive exercise is optional for weight loss, health or fitness improvement, and can be counterproductive for any of those. Not least, any[ /i] exercise I actually do is 100% more beneficial than some theoretically ideal workout I hate and procrastinate or skip at any opportunity.

You'll notice I'm not being specific about what I do. I think tastes and preferences are utterly individual. If you want to see what others do (more broadly than just videos), you could check out one of the exercise accountability threads. These are a couple of examples:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/331789/tlfc-exercise-and-accountability-support#latest
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10705619/what-was-your-work-out-today#latest

Some people like active video or VR games as home exercise, too: That can be an option. There's also dancing, any of dozens of possible types.

Of course, there are also Winter outdoor activities. An old saying is that there's no unsuitable weather, there's just unsuitable clothing. I used to cross-country ski, but I'm hesitant to do that alone now (I have osteoporosis, and none of my friends XC ski anymore). Even walking/hiking is good, if there are safe trails where you are. (I do it sometimes outdoors in Winter, but usually only with a friend.) There's also skating, games like broom hockey, etc.

Even just sampling some new things can be fun. I'd encourage you to give any new thing a fair try. Most things will feel at least awkward, maybe even impossible at first. That's normal. After a few sessions, things gradually feel more achievable. Things that are instantly easy get boring fast, IMO. It can be good to commit to something a little more complicated, if it holds your interest better longer term . . . but that does require tolerating the "newbie blues" stage. If your experience is anything like mine, you can surprise yourself at what you can accomplish in the long term, just by patient chipping away at gradual improvement.

Best wishes for finding some cold-weather activities you enjoy!
  • silentwolf7
    silentwolf7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your wonderful response and support! This was very helpful. Most of my activity will be done inside. The weather outside does not allow me to go on the trails right now. Probably won’t be able to until March sometime.