Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options
Alehmer
Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
How many of us are there? I am an athlete myself, always have been, but I have always done individual kinds of sports and can't seem to drum up any interest at all in watching or following sports. My dad's side of the family are all sports fanatics and my cousins own a sporting-goods store. However I spent most of my time with my art-teacher mom and opera loving step-dad and it just didn't ever come on or get discussed.

Even the sports that I do (submission grappling), I only watch instructionals and highlights of competition so that I can learn and do it myself.

I don't begrudge anyone their sports and I'm not going to say I was bullied in high school by jocks or anything, heck I was a 6'3" 200lb letterman. I know there's definitely guys out there that see sports as the establishment or linked to tormentors and so hate it for that reason, but that's not me.

It can be pretty aggravating, lonely, and socially awkward to not be into sports as an american male. (In the south, in a major SEC university town no less) It's the common thread of male small-talk and getting to know you chit-chat, and there's a nice awkward pause when my response is, "Sorry, I don't watch sports."

So, I'm hoping I'm not alone here....

Bonus topic, do women get pressured or feel weird for not following sports these days? I know a LOT of female sports fans.

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Im taking it you wont be joining the MFP fantasy football league then?

im the opposite of you..i cant imagine life without sports.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options

im the opposite of you..i cant imagine life without sports.

Same
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You're pretty much all alone . With a few exceptions of THOSE guys !!

jk :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have NO interest in ANY sports whatsoever unless it involves horses and competitive trail or endurance riding, or else dressage. And no, I don't feel pressured or weird for not liking sports, any more than I do for hating romance novels or game shows and sitcoms. My husband doesn't have any interest in sports either, except for a Michigan State Spartans game once in a blue moon. ( Go, Spartans, just don't expect ME to watch).
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like hockey. And baseball. And MMA fights. But I feel no pressure to follow any sport, and I don't think it's weird when guys don't have an interest in sports.
  • Firemansam79
    Firemansam79 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey bud your not alone.

I can't follow sports. I don't like watching sports. I love the social aspect of sports, like drinking beer and eating goodies, but I could really care less about the rest.

I can't stand being at my in-laws for holidays unless I find something else to do, because my mother in-law LOVES sports, all kinds of them. Its like torture.

It gets to the point when the basketball team makes a basket I cheer "TOUCHDOWN" just to make it interesting. I also ask what inning they are in for football and when halftime is during baseball.

So your not alone!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    do you mean "men who just don't care"? i was a tad confused by your title...

eh. i wouldn't kick you out of bed for eating crackers. instead of going to a sports game, we could go to a museum. just sayin--there are options.

you're 6'3", are you? ;)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I like hockey. And baseball. And MMA fights.

and this is why we are friends.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't care for sports...One of the many reasons why I love him! ;) We will watch a Sox (RED) game, or a Pats game every now and then, but that's about it...You aren't alone.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Agreed OP, I find watching them boring.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh is this a support group? Can we share suggestions on how to block out your co-workers flapping about how team A is gonna stomp Team B at Sport Y tonight!

I enjoy MMA and I follow Motocross/Supercross, some AMA and Moto-GP road racing and snowboarding. Anything that involves a ball I could care less about, though I will watch world cup soccer sometimes and various other games if there is food and beer being provided.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    your not alone i do cheer on my home team but honesly i couldn't name any of the players. sports don't interest me. i do tune in when it comes to the playoff and championship games but other than that i don't really watch them btw i was never envolved with sports either growing out
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I do like baseball. But other than that I've only watched about two American football games in the past 25 years and no basketball or hockey. You couldn't pay me enough to sit through one of those. I will play golf (badly) but I can't watch it. I have been watching American Ninja Warrior though. Does that count? So I think I know how you feel. People assume too and they'll start talking about some big game or something coming up and I usually have no idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not really alone...I do like football, but that's about it...but I'm not really fanatical about it. I'll catch a couple home games at UNM and I like to watch a game on Sunday if I have the chance (but I'm usually too busy).

I haven't watched the World Series since 1993...I only watched it then because I was in boot camp and my DI was a fan of one of the teams and told everyone to watch and root for his team or alternatively, clean the head. I don't think I've ever watched the NBA finals or even a complete NBA basketball game. I will take in a Lobo basketball game maybe once or twice per year for basically, something to do and it's pretty good basketball.

For myself, I've always preferred individual type sports...I ran track growing up (which is technically a team sport, but not really in the traditional sense)...I did gymnastics...swimming, etc. I played one season of football and it wasn't my thing...I always preferred individual sports.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I don't even follow the "pros" of the sports I engage in. Don't really care. I train to compete against myself, no one else.

And as far as NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc. goes. I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage has to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

I do actually follow one sport, but there are no professionals in it. No pay outs, no endorsements (and consequently, no performance enhancing drugs - unless you count hot chocolate and brownies).

OWS

Check out what Sarah Thomas is about to attempt.

Check out what Craig Lenning participated in a few weeks ago.

Can anybody contest that Diana Nyad is a badass?

Those people are superhuman!!

**fixed spelling error**
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The only sports my boyfriend watches is MMA fighting and the occasional women's volley ball match :wink: He tried getting into hockey and football like his friends, but it never stuck for him.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    And as far as NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, etc. goes. I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage has to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.
    But pro sports isn't affiliated with how teachers and soldiers are taken care off. In fact many pros go out and volunteer time to schools and military.
    The problem is how GOVERNMENT doles out the money. The amount of retirement money that a congressman makes (who isn't even active anymore) would pay for a lot of supplies in schools. For a guy who more than likely didn't play pro sports or did any military tours of duty.
    The pros are paid based on how fans flock to watch them. So the owners pay out of their revenue, not from the government. For many entertainment value is priceless based on experiences they may have for the rest of their life or to tell their children/grandchildren.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I have zero interest in following sports. I only watch a bit of racing or some MMA fights. Well... and woman's gymnastics...

solberg-03.jpg

Honestly, I'd rather be doing than watching.

MR2%2520Cone%2520killer2.jpeg
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

QFT

ETA: I feel the same way about the people in Congress... and the perks they get. :(