Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    almost time for football season!!!!!!!!!!! #HTTR
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

I couldn't agree more. People in my family have a near religious devotion and fervor for their favorite teams. Holidays are nearly unbearable with seemingly endless games shown back to back.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    So, I'm hoping I'm not alone here....

You are not alone. I cannot get excited about watching sports.
    I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage has to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

The problem is that so many people think that "they" (sports teams) pay athletes too much, when the reality is that we distort the value of sports in our lives and prioritize them too highly. All the time we are prepared to pay massive sums of money on sports related entertainment and memorabilia, sports people will command massive salaries to generate demand.

The average American family supposedly spend $3,500 a year on sports*. So anyone that feel athletes are paid too much and teachers too little, should make the conscious decision to reduce the amount they are paying for sports related entertainment, and make a donation to their children's schools.

* I say 'supposedly' because I just found that on answers.com with no references, so take it with a pinch of salt
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I'm kind of a sports junky myself, so I cannot relate. I play them all and watch them all. I'm even starting to freaking watch e-sports
  • actingnurse1
    actingnurse1 Posts: 153 Member
    I'm not a big sports person either. I'll watch some Razorback college football if it's on but I don't seek out sports to watch. I may catch the Super Bowl but that's for the commercials.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    My fiance has never been a sports fan. He played soccer, basketball and baseball in high school (was actually good enough to go to college on a basketball scholarship, but he went into the Marines instead)...and he raced cars as an amateur and then semi-professionally for years. but he really doesn't watch any sports except MMA and MotoGP...and the annual Daytona 500 party at our friends' house (but that's really more about the friends and food than the race)....we don't even go to the track any more since he stopped racing. Oh...he did watch the Women's USA team religiously during the Olympics last summer, tho LOL :laugh:

For me, I refuse to watch most professional sports (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc), strictly out of disgust for the amount of money the players get paid. *IF* I watch any games, I prefer college level...and even then it's really only basketball....and then usually either just my alma mater (which we might get ONE televised game a season, if that) or the NCAA tourney (so I can root for the underdogs who jack up everyone's brackets) LOL :bigsmile: I do admit to watching the live webstream of the finish line for Ironman Lake Placid in July, tho....as a triathlete aspiring to do my first half IM in the next 3 years, it was incredibly inspiring to watch. :) Outside of that, I really only watch MMA fights (and I try to not look bored when my fiance puts Moto GP on hehehe).

Oh...and we watch American Ninja Warrior...does that count? LOL :tongue:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I DO sports but don't WATCH any on TV. I happily talk about stuff I do but can't really have a conversation about football leagues, rugby, cricket, heck I don't even follow the tennis when Wimbledon is on...

Likewise I'd much rather talk to a guy who DOES stuff than one who WATCHES stuff, so I'm sure while you have that awkward moment with the guys, you'll do okay with the ladies. :wink:
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

Seconded.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I loathe sports. People look at me like I'm an alien when I say that.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Apart from boxing and UFC, sports bore me rigid.

Football (or soccer as it's known in America) is pretty much all some males can speak about in the UK. Some people don't actually have any kind of social response to anything other than football, if you mentioned politics to them, they would probably cease to exist and just disappear in a ball of confusion.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    We don't watch many professional sports for the same reason many others have posted (difficult to root for multi-millionaires, many who we can't respect as individuals or role models). I do love college basketball (I cheered for a D1 program in college), and my husband watches road racing because he's an amateur race car driver/race director. There are exceptions for a hometown team here and there.

We do watch soccer, mostly because that has been our son's current sport of choice for the past 7 years as as a result we understand it. It's somewhat difficult to watch on TV because you cannot see the entire field (and in many cases the play develops from the back)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Oh - and I thoroughly resent it when they preempt one of the few TV shows that I watch for a freaking baseball game. :grumble: :mad: There are bunches of channels dedicated to sports (which I *never* watch) that I am required to pay for to get the channels that I DO want...keep your darn sports on there and leave my shows alone. :explode:
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Huge fan of the NFL. I will watch as many games as I possibly can, make fun of Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, drink whiskey, eat spicy wings, try to spot the penalties before the refs or linesmen can, belch and fart.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    No interest, unless you count when i was 19 and into semi-pro arm wrestling
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I like hockey. And baseball. And MMA fights. But I feel no pressure to follow any sport, and I don't think it's weird when guys don't have an interest in sports.

This.

however, I'm into a bunch a stuff, just won't watch it on tv.
    Shooting, fishing, hunting, boxing, cycling just to name a few.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Huge fan of the NFL. I will watch as many games as I possibly can, make fun of Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, drink whiskey, eat spicy wings, try to spot the penalties before the refs or linesmen can, belch and fart.

haha tom brady. still cant believe they let a girl play in the NFL. ;)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    sports. meh.

i dont hate watching some mma (though thats sorta run its course as well), but in general, it's just not for me.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member

^^ This ^^

Seconded.
    Did you guys know the the Iraqi and Afghan wars cost 4-6 trillion? http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-28/world/38097452_1_iraq-price-tag-first-gulf-war-veterans

I hope you're not mad at sports but rather your government. Athletes deserve every penny they get because we gladly pay the ticket prices so we can enjoy ourselves. I scratch my head at how so many Americans are "patriotic" and support the troops yet they will boycott sports and entertainment because they get paid too much. Why not boycott your gov't?
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    I hate sports. I don't see how people can watch someone else play a game for hours and I don't see how there can be sooo many sports channels. I hate to even hear ppl talking about sports.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    my husband doesn't like sports I don't either your not that alone :)