Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options

Replies

• _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    My name is Timmeh and I am a sports fanatic. When I get home from work the TV instantly goes to ESPN so I catch up on any breaking news or stories :laugh:

So professional players make good money, yea so what. Think of it as a lifetime worth of money in that short time they play.
    They are the best at what they do, and put their bodies on the line so to speak to entertain those of us who like sports.

Robert Downey Jr. made 75 Million last year. 75 MILLION !! What professional athletes make is peanuts compared to that.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    None of the men in my house are really into sports. (Husband and 3 teenage boys), neither is my dad. My husband will watch an occasional game of basketball or football, but he'd,usually rather be making a satellite model or building a shed in the backyard.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My name is Timmeh and I am a sports fanatic. When I get home from work the TV instantly goes to ESPN so I catch up on any breaking news or stories :laugh:

So professional players make good money, yea so what. Think of it as a lifetime worth of money in that short time they play.
    They are the best at what they do, and put their bodies on the line so to speak to entertain those of us who like sports.

Robert Downey Jr. made 75 Million last year. 75 MILLION !! What professional athletes make is peanuts compared to that.

yeah, but for some reason nobody is boycotting Iron Man.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    so for those of you boycotting watching sports because athletes get paid too much.
    Do you boycott ALL tv?
    Some Actors/Actresses make over a million dollars an episode. The less rich ones only get ohh 20 thousand or more an episode.
    Do you boycott those television sitcoms where the actors make over a certain amount of money?
    I just find it boring what they get paid means little to me lol

lol fair enough. i appreciate honesty.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I enjoy attending baseball games, but I am in no way a day-to-day fan.
    I consider obsession with sports statistics nothing less than mental *kitten*. Can't stand it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I dunno about pressure to be a sports fan, but try being a woman not interested in babies. "Coo, coo, want to hold her?" Me stepping back, "ahh no thank you."

This is me..and I have kids! I don't hold or coo over other people's babies and have little interest in them as babies. I have offended many a new mom asking if I want to hold their little baby and I say "no"

I do like my own kids, though.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Rather play a game than watch it, just that simple.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Sports are just... dull.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

Think of them as actors/entertainers.

And just because one works a ****ty job doesn't mean they should get good pay.
  • javajinny
    Options
    Other than football, I'm not into sports. But I LOVE football, especially college ball. To answer your woman topic, we don't feel weird for not liking sports, we feel weird for liking sports. I have a few girlfriends who are as passionate about college ball as I am, and when we chat about our teams and wins and the rankings and that awesome pass from the game, we get weird looks from other women, sometimes men. Meh. I love the game, who cares what strangers think, though.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I went to 1 NFL game, a Seahawks game in Seattle just to experience it. I used to follow the NBA, MLB is ok, but I don't follow it unless Seattle's in the playoffs. NHL is cool to watch when they break out in fights. The only sport I follow is soccer. All leagues, men and women, I'll stay up at odd hours of the night to watch the games during the World Cup.

I love hockey regardless...but yeah...fights are pretty awesome...

tumblr_mhte67k9V31rl925uo4_400.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have always been attracted to guys who are really into sports: football, baseball, basketball, etc. idk why it turns me on. I'm a big NFL and MLB fan myself. I start every morning by watching Skip Bayless and Stephen Smith argue on "First Take." Haha, it cracks me up!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'll watch MMA, Bull Riding, or Football every once in awhile (TV), but I get bored pretty fast.

If I'm actually at a stadium then I'm in for pretty much anything. Something about a crowd's energy that gets me pumped up. It just doesn't translate well for me through a TV.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My hubby is one, and it is one of the many reasons I married him! Fear not sir, you are a small but proud tribe, loved by women everywhere :smooched:
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use to like sports. Was a huge football fan. Now I work with team sports and the LAST thing I want to do on my day off is watch a football game. I don't know who's on what team, who beat who...many of my colleagues follow professional and college sports. They always want me to join in the conversation and see if I saw a certain play on TV. No, no interest.

On another note. I do enjoy watching sports that I don't work... I love watching the Tour de France for three weeks. I get cable TV for the month of the Olympics just so I have all access.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    That's strange because I thought I was the only person on the planet that doesn't like to watch sports :smile:
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The pros are paid based on how fans flock to watch them.

That was kind of my point....

Our society puts more importance on sports than just about anything else.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    do you mean "men who just don't care"? i was a tad confused by your title...

eh. i wouldn't kick you out of bed for eating crackers. instead of going to a sports game, we could go to a museum. just sayin--there are options.

you're 6'3", are you? ;)

lol. calm down
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

Seconded.
    Did you guys know the the Iraqi and Afghan wars cost 4-6 trillion? http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-28/world/38097452_1_iraq-price-tag-first-gulf-war-veterans

I hope you're not mad at sports but rather your government. Athletes deserve every penny they get because we gladly pay the ticket prices so we can enjoy ourselves. I scratch my head at how so many Americans are "patriotic" and support the troops yet they will boycott sports and entertainment because they get paid too much. Why not boycott your gov't?

I think you have (almost) missed my point as well.

How many Americans can tell you how much we were spending per month in Afghanistan and Iraq? (I applaud you for knowing). A far cry less than the number that could tell you which teams won the Superbowl for the past 12 years (yes, that's how long we have been at constant WAR in the Middle East - longer than Longer than WWII, longer than Korea, longer than Vietnam).

I'm not being critical of the government per se, but the society that worships sports while ignoring what is going on in their communities, their country and across the world.

"The situation in Syria?? I dunno much 'bout that, but did you see that play in the third quarter of the Jets game?"