Hey. I'm Shelly. I'm obese, I have health issues, and I'd like to fix it.

Options
HappiShelly
HappiShelly Posts: 5 Member
edited February 11 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 5'2 and 200 pounds. I had myfitness pal 4 years ago and I was quite fit. I then got pregnant with my daughter. Then after I gave birth I weighed 205 pounds. I got swept up and brainwashed into the fat acceptance movement. Now I have back problems, I struggle to climb upstairs, I'm not diabetic but I have blood sugar problems, my pcos is worse to live with, and I get tired just from walking far. My doctor even advised me to lose the extra weight last week.

I'm glad I have a chance to get support on MFP because if I talk about weight loss anywhere else, fat activists give me deadly advice like telling me to get fatter because "if you lose weight, it will make you end up with diabetes" and "why blame your weight? That's internalized fat phobia. Eat what you want and move when you feel like it. You're healthy at every size" (real comments I've recieved). I downloaded this app all over again tonight and I plan to start my weight loss journey tomorrow morning. You can call me Shelly.

Replies

• HappiShelly
    Options
    Me
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Shelly. Yes I get it. I was tired of carrying my own weight around, too. Life is a lot more fun when you can move freely, and you have a little one to do fun things with!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome back!

Glad you're reaching for better health, yay u! :)

So would agree everyone deserves love, respect and acceptance, irrespective of height, body size or appearance, or age.

Can't agree to try crazy or fad crash diets or to just ignore real problems... I am here for same reasons.... getting better. Hang onto that. Chat here if you don't have anyone in real world... I don't either, it's why i read the chats here. Helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    EpochAhead wrote: »
    Hi, welcome back!

So would agree everyone deserves love, respect and acceptance, irrespective of height, body size or appearance, or age.

Can't agree to try crazy or fad crash diets or to just ignore real problems... I am here for same reasons.... getting better. Hang onto that. Chat here if you don't have anyone in real world... I don't either, it's why i read the chats here. Helps.

Agreeing with the bolded does not mean that being fat is on average unhealthy nor that encouraging people to strive to lose weight is no loving and respectful. That is at least part of the problem today. Anything that a person perceives as opposed to making them happy, even if it is objective truth, if expressed must be hate. If the trend continues it will be seen as phobic to encourage addicts to fight against their addiction. For all I know, there are already people saying that.
  • HappiShelly
    Options
    EpochAhead wrote: »
    Hi, welcome back!

Agreeing with the bolded does not mean that being fat is on average unhealthy nor that encouraging people to strive to lose weight is no loving and respectful. That is at least part of the problem today. Anything that a person perceives as opposed to making them happy, even if it is objective truth, if expressed must be hate. If the trend continues it will be seen as phobic to encourage addicts to fight against their addiction. For all I know, there are already people saying that.

You are so right. As a matter of fact, food addiction is no different than drug addiction. That's why when you quit drugs other addicts get offended and say that you think you're better than them.

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think the 2 go together, dignity and respect is important to give everyone (people should not be shamed or discriminated for their body size, and currently it is culturally rampant.)

Plus it is good to provide help, encouragement and support to people struggling with whatever addiction, issue or problem, particularly here with overeating for whatever underlying reason. Shaming someone for their weight is not an effective way to demonstrate support. It is actually abusive.
  • Paz922
    Paz922 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @HappiShelly and everyone else on this thread.

I just started today a motivation challenge focusing on a healthy lifestyle and enjoying life. I would love to have you join.

I don’t know how to share the link.

This is the name- it under the Challenge groups.

Lose 10 lbs by April 15th, 2024- focusing on a healthy lifestyle and enjoying life!