Pancake Day!

Options
I have worked my pancakes tonight into my calorie count - what do you all do on pancake day?

Whats your favourite pancake?

Do you make them healthier?

Replies

• Son17
    Son17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am planning High protein pancakes and would like to know if anyone would pass a recipe.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I don't like egg products and they cause reflux for me. But still, I'd like to do some kind of Spanish crepe one of these days with mustard, tuna, cheese and a few veggies.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I bought an expensive crepe mix (just add milk) imported from Luxembourg on a whim. It's really good! Made crepes with nutella and bananas last week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    For myself, I usually just use Kodiak buttermilk protein pancake mix, topped with thawed frozen berries and some plain nonfat yogurt. If I want it sweeter, add a little blackstrap molasses to the berries. (Yes, that's added sugar but good brands make a nice contribution to micros.)

Occasionally, I've used those or homemade cornmeal pancakes to make savory pancakes topped with chili, chevre, or something like that.

But I'm not a big pancake eater, really.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Pancakes don't work in my keto lifestyle change! lol
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Classic English style (crepe-ish), home made, slathered in butter, sprinkled with sugar, with a squeeze of lemon on top.
    Roll them for eating (hand held) with butter running down my wrist.

Ooh, so looking forward to this once a year step back into my childhood.
    It was so exciting holding these hot, hot bundles of joy blowing on them so they were cool enough to eat.

Cheers, h.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I only eat pancakes occasionally - so when I do, I don't try to change them or make them healthier.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Pancakes don't work in my keto lifestyle change! lol

They have keto pancakes now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I don't have pancakes often, and when I do, have them, or it, as I make one big one, for dinner. I increase the protein by using a whole egg with the 1/4 C flour and adding 56 g cottage cheese.

v9kipiv3mwhh.png

I also have butter, maple syrup, and about 15 g of bacon.

After this thread, I briefly considered having one tomorrow for Valentine's Day, but I'm prioritizing chocolate cake, and that plus a pancake would be just too much flour (and sugar) for me.
  • venishabryan7513
    venishabryan7513 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into low carb pancakes as I working on my sweet tooth. I have came across some protein pancakes using oat flour instead of white flour. So far good. I came across this on thrice market. Also I bought allulose based maple syrup which is good without the weird aftertaste mpxnx8nh6eui.png
    72eihctlah2a.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    On Shrove Tuesday, I usually focus on finishing off any meat/poultry in the refrigerator, since I give them up for Lent. There aren't any requirements this millennium in my church to give up fats, eggs, etc., for Lent, so I can have pancakes throughout Lent (and likely will, since it feels like a main course to replace meat/poultry).

I guess I like buckwheat best, but I make many kinds (buttermilk, sourdough, blueberry, etc.) -- not a big fan of chocolate chip, though. Sometimes I top them with bananas and peanut butter, sometimes with a fried or poached egg. I usually only do maple syrup if I'm having a breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, ham, scrapple) on the side.
  • dctheperson
    dctheperson Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 16
    Options
    So has anyone tried the zero sugar redi whip? Lower sugar thus lower calories than regular whipped cream. I ❤️ fresh fruit and zero redi whip on my pancakes. I use a biscuit mix w no sugar added into it as well...like Pioneer or Kodiak.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i know there are alternatives, and i bet they are just oh so good, they probably taste just like pancakes do, provided you've never actually eaten a pancake
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    i know there are alternatives, and i bet they are just oh so good, they probably taste just like pancakes do, provided you've never actually eaten a pancake

Kodiak protein pancake mix pancakes taste pretty much like other pancake mix pancakes, in my experience. I can make better pancakes from scratch, sure. Most people IME don't make pancakes from scratch. I don't do it often.

Most restaurant pancakes IME aren't materially better than pancake mix pancakes, and pretty much none are better than my homemade from scratch. However, there was one pancake meal I had in the 1970s at a bar in Michigan's upper peninsula where the pancakes were absolutely transportational, better than any pancakes I've ever had anywhere else, ever. I don't know how to make pancakes like that.

YMMV.

• jraekeller
    jraekeller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dear gettingfitinmenopause:

Try Flourish Pancake Mix ordered through Amazon. They are delicious and high protein. However, I do not eat any foods over 30 on the glycemic index because I am losing weight the healthy way. I do not have diabetes or high cholesterol. I am eating food that most would consider cheating on their diet. I do not consume fruit as a snack or mixed in with salads like I used to...all fruits are high in sugar and destroy any chance of weight loss. I have frozen berry blend in my protein shake once a day when I allow for one sugar spike. I thought it was CRAZY and then I saw the results which are nothing short of a miracle for this 60 year old menopausal woman. I also weight train and do not do aerobics. Never been easier!!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I love love pancakes! I forget to make them though. Lol. I'm vegan and would use either JUST Egg replaceable other alternative recipe. I do not want added sugar. So I do opt for healthy alternatives.
    Growing up Saturday meant pancakes, cartoons then playing outside. My dad made the BEST! He used club soda in mix which made then super fluffy. Then I used to go to IHop in party days. I livef the origional pancake house on Maryland, they has 49er flap Jack's. Ooo they were divine!
    I used to get a high protein mix from Vitamin Shoppe ot GNC years ago when I was competing. Then I had discovered one called Healthy Chow at Homegoods before pandemic but haven't seen it since.
    I'm gonna make some in a few weeks when my jaw is not wired anymore lol. A healthier version
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    I do not consume fruit as a snack or mixed in with salads like I used to...all fruits are high in sugar and destroy any chance of weight loss

I, and many others didn't read that memo and somehow managed to lose weight despite eating fruit.

In my case even as a menopausal age woman.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    I dont love pancakes. They're ok, but I don't love them, so sometimes I make a big batch of cottage cheese pancakes and freeze some. Thaw them and eat with fruit when I don't have anything else to go with my fruit.
  • bbadbetty1089
    bbadbetty1089 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have worked my pancakes tonight into my calorie count - what do you all do on pancake day?

Whats your favourite pancake?

Do you make them healthier?

1 bannana mashed add 2 egg whip together and cook in a frying pan. It comes out like a pancake. Add alittle maple syrup.
  • bbadbetty1089
    bbadbetty1089 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 bannana mashed, add 2 eggs, whip it together. Cook in a frying pan, flip once, add alittle maple syrup.