54 from the heartland- get me out of the obese category!

Options
I’m Pre diabetic weigh 218 and want to make lasting change through higher veggie and protein, calorie deficit eating and walking to start. I do love chocolate! I have a degree in wellness management. Looking for like minded folks! Also struggle with post COVID fatigue.Happy Valentine’s Day!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    I’m Pre diabetic weigh 218 and want to make lasting change through higher veggie and protein, calorie deficit eating and walking to start. I do love chocolate! I have a degree in wellness management. Looking for like minded folks! Also struggle with post COVID fatigue.Happy Valentine’s Day!

Hi @amymshipley5683 I was you five years ago, only a little older and a little heavier.

I got all the way down to 127 and looked sickly so I focused on rebuilding muscle. Currently 144, but wearing the same things I bought at 127. Weight at our age is deceptive and sits totally different on our bodies than when we were 25.

I also started by walking and doing basic yoga. Yoga is my love and I started doing weights to build upper body strength for yoga goals, then found I enjoyed doing weights, which was a huge surprise to me.

Starting by walking is an excellent plan. Get a fitness tracker and sync it with MFP. I would go through a pound or two of chocolate per day. It was my drug of choice. Using a fitness tracker (I use Apple Watch) is what really opened my eyes to calories in versus calories out. I was beyond shocked to learn how hard it is to burn off just a single ounce (usually 2 squares) of chocolate.

You’re going to need to commit to logging and weighing food diligently. Don’t punish yourself for the occasional failure. It’s not a failure. It’s an opportunity to learn and grow… grow smaller, that is.

And don’t cut calories too hard. I have never gone below 1470 at any point t, and that was only for a couple of months til a dietician encouraged me to increase, and a trainer encouraged yet another increase. (As I felt better with loss of weight. I became far more active, which happens for many here.)

And don’t think of exercise as purgatory or a chore. Find something you love doing, whether it’s walking, riding your bike to the grocery store, cardio, weights, dancing classes. If you enjoy it, it’s not work.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    And, how odd. I was dreaming about my childhood neighbors, the Shipleys, last night. I was in their daughter’s wedding as a child. Haven’t thought about them in a while. Not too many Shipleys running around.
  • lisawhite1b188
    lisawhite1b188 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips to help you move out of the obese category:

Consult a Healthcare Professional: Before starting any weight loss journey, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional. They can provide personalized guidance based on your individual health status and help you create a safe and effective plan.

Set Realistic Goals: Set achievable, realistic goals for weight loss. Aim for gradual and sustainable progress rather than quick fixes. Aiming to lose 1-2 pounds per week is generally considered safe and sustainable.

Focus on Nutrition: Pay attention to your diet and make healthier food choices. Aim to incorporate more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains into your meals. Reduce your intake of processed foods, sugary drinks, and high-calorie snacks.

Control Portion Sizes: Be mindful of portion sizes and avoid oversized portions. Using smaller plates, measuring portions, and paying attention to hunger and fullness cues can help you control your calorie intake.

Stay Active: Incorporate regular physical activity into your routine. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity per week, along with muscle-strengthening exercises on two or more days per week.

Stay Consistent: Consistency is key to long-term success. Make healthy lifestyle changes that you can stick with over time rather than relying on short-term diets or extreme measures.

Seek Support: Surround yourself with supportive friends, family members, or a support group who can encourage and motivate you along the way. Consider seeking the guidance of a registered dietitian or joining a weight loss program for additional support.

Remember, progress takes time, so be patient with yourself and celebrate your achievements along the way. With dedication, perseverance, and support, you can reach your goals and improve your health.
  • Paz922
    Paz922 Posts: 346 Member
    edited February 19
    Options
    I just started today a motivation challenge focusing on a healthy lifestyle and enjoying life. I would love to have you join.

I also pre- diabetic

I don’t know how to share the link.

This is the name- it under the Challenge groups.

Lose 10 lbs by April 15th, 2024- focusing on a healthy lifestyle and enjoying life!