Ryan here 49 and hate to cook! 😂

Options
Hi all, I’ve always liked this app, but often stop using it because I hate cooking. I’m tired of eating poorly so I’m here again! Working out 3x per week. Unique situation is I’m a thin person trying to put on mass. It’s a struggle! 😂 Happy to friend others for motivation!!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,287 Member
    Options
    There's a discussion group dedicated to gaining weight and bodybuilding. That might be a good place to start.

Sorry you hate cooking. I love to cook AND I love to eat.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, cooking is the most vile of household chores. Generally speaking, I just choose not to do it. If it can't be made in less than 10 minutes with either the air fryer or the microwave, it doesn't even enter my house.

I eat a lot of frozen food. I buy a variety of frozen vegetables, frozen chicken/shrimp/meatballs, and seasoning/sauces to go over top. I nuke those and serve with packets of either ready rice or ready pasta. Bonus--you only dirty a bowl and a fork! I also take full advantage of the produce section if I eat fresh produce-- I buy veggie trays, chopped fruit....whatever is precut and ready to eat. A couple of bagged salad mixes and a rotisserie chicken go a long way as well. For takeout, I have a "strategic over-ordering" method, but it's probably not as useful if you're looking to gain.

Bottom line, traditional cooking isn't at all necessary to eat healthfully. And frankly, if it truly were required, I'd never have lost weight in the first place.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I agree totally with @COGypsy. I probably cook a little more than she does. I might bake 2 potatoes and 2 sweet potatoes along with anything I cook in the oven. Good for all next week with just a minute or two in the microwave or 15 minutes in the oven if I'm heating something else.

My favorite soup is frozen onions, hamburger meat, browned in a pot, add favorite frozen veggies, water and salt. For me, I usually use one pound meat, makes 4-6 meals. You could easily change the meat-- rotisserie chicken, chicken thighs or legs for price and flavor. You could make a big pot and freeze some.

Sometimes I bake eggs with onions and peppers. Takes about 30 minutes total, one bowl and one pan, enough for a week. Guacamole and sour cream to add calories.

Gypsy, please explain your "strategic over-ordering". I'm interested.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,175 Member
    Options
    I agree totally with @COGypsy. I probably cook a little more than she does. I might bake 2 potatoes and 2 sweet potatoes along with anything I cook in the oven. Good for all next week with just a minute or two in the microwave or 15 minutes in the oven if I'm heating something else.

My favorite soup is frozen onions, hamburger meat, browned in a pot, add favorite frozen veggies, water and salt. For me, I usually use one pound meat, makes 4-6 meals. You could easily change the meat-- rotisserie chicken, chicken thighs or legs for price and flavor. You could make a big pot and freeze some.

Sometimes I bake eggs with onions and peppers. Takes about 30 minutes total, one bowl and one pan, enough for a week. Guacamole and sour cream to add calories.

Gypsy, please explain your "strategic over-ordering". I'm interested.

I use strategic over-ordering pretty much anytime I get takeout/delivery. I essentially get 2-3 items that can be mixed and matched over the next few days. A simple example is when I order Mexican from a local place in my neighborhood I get an order of enchiladas and an order of tacos. Each comes with 3 pieces, so I divide it up and have three meals of an enchilada and a taco and part of the beans/rice side. At the Asian place, I get two entrees and a large soup, which is easily 4 meals given the size of their particular dishes. I would caution that this isn't a good approach if you're a volume eater. I'm not, especially in the evenings, so this has been a super handy approach for me.