WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday
    Managed to get in and out of Costco after work last night in 30 mins, dinner cooked, kitchen cleaned, caught up with y'all, and worked on paperwork for 2 hours for work. Got my water in and Bible read, I am counting yesterday as a win. Heading to Kentucky this weekend. More work stuffs to do.

HeatherUK Eating out is so expensive! DH asked if I wanted to stop for dinner before Costco last night or have breakfast at home. It didn't take long to decide! I just wasn't in the mood for expensive, fast, and okay food. What a wonderful experience for Bea! I always enjoy hearing about your artsy nights with your grands and seeing the results. Sometimes we are our own worse critics especially on artsy things. I hope you get to enjoy lunch with friend.

Machka YES!!!! Some days I just can't get DH redirected in conversations. It was so bad several years ago that I told him "Dog with a bone". It took three times of me saying it before he asked what I meant. I told him that we had already discussed that and he was acting like a dog that wouldn't give up its bone. Amazingly, it works a lot of the time. Thank you for continuing to share! It really helps.

Hugs!
    Thoughts for healing!
    Congratulations on losses!
    May you make progress on something today!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    Saturday --

Fencing then gardening!

im7q8zrw7lhz.png
    oy0qszeceac5.png

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Just got my new half cup bowls. They are pretty but tiny! My eyes need more training. 😊

Annie in Delaware
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Annie I remember a friend saying that hospital portions were so small. I had to remind him that our sense of portions has been altered a lot by restaurant servings. I think your smaller bowls and plates will help alot.

Kylia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,243 Member
    Options
    Well, I was just getting my face on for lunch when Saga called about our priority registration for 2025 cruises. I was a bit flummoxed because of all the uncertainty with my diagnosis, but I ascertained that there is a cooling off period, and we can get our deposit back, no questions asked, for quite some time from now. The insurance can't even call us this early. So, I thought, why not?
    We need to book early because we like one particular suite. So we are booked in for the Canary Islands for October 2025. Neither of us has been there before. I'm hoping to get a clearer picture of a possible timeline for operations etc by the end of this month, and so be able to decide what to do about this year's cruises. If we cancel both on medical grounds, I could spend the money on getting both hips replaced privately. I'm not inclined to wait forever, steadily getting worse, but I will talk all this over with the ANP on the 25th. Obviously, once the insurance people call, I'll have to come clean about the situation.
    So far, we haven't lost anything, even though John had to search for the deposit! :D It'll come back to us.

In the middle of all that the restaurant rang! They always check you are still coming.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Good morning, my chickens,

Heather - I DO remember that picture of Bea and her monkey... Seems impossible it's been eight years already and she's become such a force of nature! Sounds like you've got the cruise thing figured out. I am sorry the pain continues. Being able to alleviate it with pills for short periods has been a lifesaver for me. It's the unrelenting nature of the pain that starts working on your mental state.
    --I also remember when restaurants were about twice what your meal would cost at home - and now it's gone much too far. Your avocado toast, an egg, and a drink here would probably cost $2 maximum for each meal at home, so it's 10 times as much at a restaurant. Corey called me to confess that he ate out for lunch yesterday, a $9 burger at Sonic, a fast-food place (something he does maybe twice a year). That amount buys enough ground beef to make nine burgers for us. I know this because he picked some up on the way home.

Tracey - Might be the ten years-ish difference in yours and my age, but might also be the difference in our kids and grands. Mine will be much happier with a captioned picture on a tablet or a laptop or a phone than with a book to hold in hand, both kids and grandkids.
    --When Corey and I were first married, I put scrapbooks together - it was just the beginning of the scrapbook craze. The kids glanced through them once, and there they sat for 15 years. I plan to photograph the individual pages with my phone, and then scan the individual photos. I will ask my daughter if she wants the physical books before I get rid of them. I also know that my kids don't know my first family, and probably never will. My mama was long gone before I married into them, and I only see my brothers and sister, nephews and nieces, very occasionally, my kids even less. They're not interested in the old photos, why would they be?
    --Your work for the certification is such a terrific thing. So pleased there's a piece of paper at the end of it! And yes, you should be able to get a new subscription for Microsoft Office when the current one is up, and if you are still a student, should be able to get it at the student rate, which is often 50 percent off. They're web-based.

Kylia - I knew your husband's blindness was due to an accident, but didn't realize he incurred so much brain damage, as well. You have a lot on your plate, dear heart. My heart goes out to everyone who's dealing with a spouse or sibling parent going through that kind of struggle, no matter age or stage. It is such a thief of the minds of these people we love. Don't take this wrong, but the fact that mine and Corey's parents are all gone is a relief sometimes, and my siblings are all so doolally I'm not sure anyone will notice if their cheese slips right off their crackers. 😈👀😍

Need to ferry some coffee in for the man - I feel like I do so little for him that coffee and kisses are the best gift I can give him on the weekend morning. And the kisses are as much for me as for him. :smiley:

Hope it's a grand weekend for all,
    Much love from unseasonably warm and sunny Arkansas,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, Lisa, on the photos ... and just about everything. I don't have photo albums anymore because no one (including me) look at them anymore. I think I've got some envelopes with photos and if I do, I'll scan them onto the computer.

Ideally, I'd like to scan just about everything onto computer.

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have furniture or anything anymore and could look up sofa online that we liked, press a button and voila ... there it is. At the end of the night we could exchange it for a bed. In the morning we could exchange it for a chair and desk. Ah well, maybe living impermanently and nomadically has affected me.

Nevertheless, whatever I can scan, I will ... eventually!!

Machka in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :) We had a take out lunch from our favorite Chinese restaurant. Lunch specials so smaller portions. Cost $43.00 including a generous tip. Delicious but glad we do this only once a month or so, I had garlic broccoli with brown rice. It came with soup but I gave the soup to Jake.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    No Carmine doesn't know about the babies yet..and at this stage of the game i think she could care less..right now its still all about her.

I don't blame her. If she doesn't think it's all about her, who will? Not her parents who spent large quantities of money to replace her.
    I'm glad you dropped off a card and told her you love her no matter what. You might not get any responses now, but every little bit helps.

Machka in Oz

:)<3 I agree.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Rita - No doubt your DH's miscommunication "skills" are very stressful for you, especially if he's giving wrong info to the campers. Please, please vent here all you want. We are here for you. <3 HUGS <3Kim is spot on, many of us have been or are going through similar. :(

If anyone wants to weigh in here..... looking to get a back-up laptop this year. Either a basic model HP with very few bells and whistles or a "renewed" Apple Macbook of some vintage from Amazon. Prices on both are about the same, but the price on the HP can escalate with purchase of the Word/Excel office suite. Thinking of just taking this old HP offline and using just Word and Excel and storing photos.

Early stages. Plenty of YouTube videos about Mac's - I know nothing about them. Might not be worth the learning curve.

TIA. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

To save money on Word and Excel, there is software called Libra Office that is free and works with Microsoft products. No need to buy that software. Works the same way and has PowerPoint as well. I switched to that years ago and simply save documents as Word or Excel when needed. More in spoiler

LibreOffice 7.5.2.2 Start Center (released in April 2023, running on Linux and GNOME)
    Original author(s) Star Division
    Developer(s) The Document Foundation
    Initial release 25 January 2011; 13 years ago
    Stable release
    Fresh 24.2.1[1] Edit this on Wikidata / 29 February 2024
    Repository
    git.libreoffice.org/core Edit this at Wikidata
    Written in C++, XML, Python, and Java[2]
    Operating system Linux, Windows 7+, macOS 10.15+;
    Unofficial: Android and iOS,[3] iPadOS, ChromeOS,[4] FreeBSD, OpenBSD,[5] NetBSD, Haiku, Solaris (v. 5.2.5)[6]
    Platform x86-64 (all operating systems), IA-32, ARMel, ARMhf, ARM64, MIPS, MIPSel, PowerPC, ppc64le, S390x,[7] VLIW
    Predecessor OpenOffice.org
    Standard(s) OpenDocument
    Available in 115 languages[8]
    Type Office productivity suite
    License MPL-2.0[9]
    Website libreoffice.org
    LibreOffice (/ˈliːbrə/)[10] is a free and open-source office productivity software suite, a project of The Document Foundation (TDF). It was forked in 2010 from OpenOffice.org, an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice. The LibreOffice suite consists of programs for word processing, creating and editing spreadsheets, slideshows, diagrams, and drawings, working with databases, and composing mathematical formulae. It is available in 115 languages.[8] TDF does not provide support for LibreOffice, but enterprise-focused editions are available from companies in the ecosystem.[11]
    LibreOffice uses the OpenDocument standard as its native file format but supports formats of most other major office suites, including Microsoft Office, through a variety of import and export filters.
    LibreOffice is available for a variety of computing platforms, with official support for Microsoft Windows, macOS and Linux[12] and community builds for many other platforms. Ecosystem partner Collabora uses LibreOffice upstream code and provides apps for Android, iOS, iPadOS and ChromeOS. LibreOffice is the default office suite of the most popular Linux distributions.[13][14][15][16]
    LibreOffice Online is an online office suite that includes the applications Writer, Calc, and Impress and provides an upstream for projects such as commercial Collabora Online.
    It is the most actively developed free and open-source office suite, with approximately 50 times the development activity of Apache OpenOffice, the other major descendant of OpenOffice.org, in 2015
    . https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice/
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Mechanic had him try an additive in the gas but that didn't work so will be driving the old van up to mom's.
    Of course, the warranty ran out on my car last month. When we purchased the car and warranty they talked him into buying a 4yr warranty(used car-two years old). We found out recently that the 4 yrs started when the car was new, not when we purchased it- Some shady stuff goes on at that place
    Same place, when we took it in for something else, said we didn't have a warranty- One of their people had canceled the policy, pocketed the cash, and we had no idea until we tried to use it.
    This dealer used to be really good, bought most of our cars from them. Not anymore

Remember when I had the alien/ghost in my radio? I had the same issue with my Subaru, however, the dealer honored the warranty for the radio even though it was in someone else’s name. Got lucky there. I also just got a letter from Subaru stating that they found the ‘real’ issue with these radios and extended the warranty for that another 5 years or 100,000 miles. I do hope when they fixed my radio, they fixed that issue as well. I won’t know until the 5 years are up and the radio breaks again!!🙄 Turns out it has something to do with it being 3G which is no longer supported and drains the battery trying to connect to it. I did notice when we got the car the battery went bad very quick. We had to replace it twice, until we went to a specific battery place, bought a battery with a 6 year warranty that was valid all over the US. Since we got that, never had issues with the battery again. So…. Good battery, bad radio/GPS connection unless upgraded.

RVRita
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Eating Out ... I like eating out. No cooking. No clean-up. But I am almost always disappointed in my meal.

Computers ... I've had Dells, HP, Microsoft Surfaces and Mac. I love my Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch and would be hard pressed to go back to other brands. I find the Apple products easier to use.

Tracey ... congratulations on getting your certificate!

Dementia ... hard to watch someone you love struggle ...

Debbie ... why didn't you have the tow truck take to the car to the garage anyways? Didn't they have a "drop box" for keys when they're not open?

Going to be a slow day today.
    Beth near Buffalo
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Michele, the perogies I made were potato with bacon and onion. Looking forward to Easter.

Allie, so nice that you dropped a card off for Carmine's birthday. Even if the line of communication is one sided, important to keep it going.

Enjoying the nice weather here. Waiting to hear back from the groomer as Lucy is getting so shaggy. Trimmed around her eyes a bit. I'm hoping to get her in before Easter.

Enjoy the day.

Joy