Every. Day.

Options

Replies

• krabuck
    krabuck Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all, still quietly plugging away over here… Weighing in on Sundays but occasionally jumping on the scale throughout the week. Weighed this morning at 18.2 lbs down. Feeling motivated for the most part. A coworker basically asked me in front of a room full of people if I was on a weight loss drug… but I am choosing to see the positive, which is that it must be a little noticeable that I am losing weight! Woo! Can’t wait until I can notice it.

My husband is away this weekend so I’m a little nervous about being home alone with the snacks.

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Have great weekends!
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Morning! Friday was a complete wash - the dosage on my meds increased Thursday evening and I was so ill over it yesterday. Feeling better today, but still dealing with an upset tum. I drank a fraction of the water I usually drink, only ate dinner, and also had a very large cookie. Oh well!

Today is yardwork and hot pot day!

Hope everyone is feeling good!
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Hope you don't mind my jumping in.

A little about me : I'm 41 from north Delaware. I have a 21 & 16 yo, live my SO and 7 Guinea pigs. I am a medical office manager for 13 satellite offices so my days consist of either sitting all day in meetings and working reports or in the car running between offices for training, coaching, covering or resolving issues. I love unwinding either reading during cold weather or being out camping & paddle boarding during the nicer weather.

My Struggle : the last year has been my biggest struggle since work went through a merger and there have been a lot of changes, so the stress level has been high and my self care has been non-existent. I need to start putting me first!

I love the idea of checking in daily and am pleased to meet all of you.
  • madalinabooboo
    madalinabooboo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've been using MFP for years but have never checked out the social aspect. So, this is my first time posting here.

I'm in a similar boat; needing the motivation to keep up the good habits.
    I am 5'5" and 152 lbs. My goal weight is 140-145. I struggle with fluctuation of about +/- 10 lbs. Trying to get back to my goal weight and STAY there! Lol

Would love to be a part of your motivational thread.

• kaferine69
    edited May 20
    Options
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    My Struggle : the last year has been my biggest struggle since work went through a merger and there have been a lot of changes, so the stress level has been high and my self care has been non-existent. I need to start putting me first!

Welcome! I hear you about the work stress. I'm in litigation at a mid-sized firm and honestly, the stress levels are never low or even normal. They always run high. We need to find things that help us let go of that stress once we're no longer at work. A therapist once told me that I need to do things that spark joy in my life. Even if they are things that I no longer do, at least they made me happy at that time. Besides reading in cold weather and paddle-boarding, what are small things you could do every day that would spark joy for you?

Hello!

I've been using MFP for years but have never checked out the social aspect. So, this is my first time posting here.

I'm in a similar boat; needing the motivation to keep up the good habits.
    I am 5'5" and 152 lbs. My goal weight is 140-145. I struggle with fluctuation of about +/- 10 lbs. Trying to get back to my goal weight and STAY there! Lol

Would love to be a part of your motivational thread.

Hi there! We're happy to have you. I've been on here for like 10 years and never used the social aspect. Did not even know about it til this go-around. It's been really nice to check back and see replies. Hope we can help you with lose/maintenance!

This weekend was a fluctuation for me with foods. Saturday I didn't eat all that much (excluding hot pot), but I did spend hours outdoors painting my house and then swimming after to cool off. I burned a lot of energy Saturday. Sunday was a recovery day and all I did was laundry, but I feel like I ate more than usual, even though my food journal doesn't really reflect that. I do know that I was hungry, or at least not satiated, all day yesterday. I also did not really drink as much water this weekend.

Hoping this week I can get back on track with water intake and smarter meal choices! My doctor is after me to get more protein in, which he says will lead to bigger weight losses. But man... the protein shakes really upset my tum. I'm going to have to try different ones or figure out something else.
  • kaferine69
    edited May 21
    Options
    I just wanted to highlight this response in another thread I commented on: I really apprecated the response below.
    You're welcome, HappyDonkey.

I am not sure why the go-to response from the above two posters was, "take a medication."

Medications are a tool that some people actually need.

It wasn’t my “go to” response. It was a follow up response that included an observation that OP seems to have tried many things, and has struggled for a long time. And that a frank discussion with their medical team might be helpful.

Yes, medications have side effects.
    Not taking medications that are truly necessary also has effects. Many much more severe than the medication.

Most people don’t need medication to lose weight. That is something I agree with. That’s how I’m doing it. But for some it is one tool that - under guidance from a doctor who knows the person well - can be beneficial.

I am a person that's taking medication for weight loss. I have been trying for, like, a decade and a half to actively lose weight. Being active in sports, going to a gym, trying every fad diet, developing ED-like tendencies, asking for parental gatekeeping, seeing a nutritionist, being in therapy. Nothing I have done had any lasting effect, and honestly, the only thing that showed any result was the ED-like tendencies. I also have a couple terrible inherited health conditions and am on medication for them, which in turn adds weight. All I have ever wanted to do was be able to participate in physical activities I enjoy without so much pain. That's all.

I have a lot of complicated feelings about weight loss meds. A lot of the stigma really hurts. And eventually, it was my last option before considering more invasive procedures. I simply don't have an off button when it comes to hunger and feeling satiated. When I am not full, I am empty. I understand that there are many factors that are contributing to that feeling. But literally nothing else has worked even short term.

I hope that others that may read this will find comfort that there's someone else out there that has truly tried their best to do it the natural ways, without success, and finally had to rely on medication to help, even despite all the complicated feelings involved.
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

Been grumpy this week due to work stuff. It's made it difficult to concentrate on healthy eating. I haven't gone over my calorie limit, but I definitely have not been choosing healthier choices. Hopefully the scale won't reflect it too much tomorrow for my weigh-in with my doc.

• krabuck
    Options
    Today’s thoughts… I wear scrubs for work and on Wednesdays we can wear a solid green shirt to show support for mental health awareness in May. I wore a shirt that hasn’t fit me comfortably in a while, which I was excited to do. But I felt like coworkers were looking at my body all morning… whether it was a noticing glance or a judgy glance I couldn’t tell. Or maybe I created the glances in my mind. Either way, I was so uncomfortable that I had to wear a jacket over my shirt and it was so hot today!

Also wondering when jogging will get easier. Today I did C25K week 5 day 3 which was NO walking. Just 20 minutes of jogging. And it was soooo difficult!!!

So so close to the 20 lb loss mark. Excited that I’ve stuck with it long enough to get to this point! Hope everyone is doing well!

@kaferine69 you are doing amazing!!!! It takes so much strength and courage to be on this journey and you are doing it!!!
  • kaferine69
    Options
    @krabuck - you've been doing amazingly! I'm so proud of you for keeping up with your C25k. I've never done it, but have multiple friends that have done it successfully! It's incredible how aware we are with how we're perceived. I am also super apprehensive about the work glances & looks. My firm is 62 years old and there are employees here that that have been here for decades; one of them, about two weeks ago, literally told me "hey, your face is looking less round!'. I nearly died. What I wanted to say was "and your mouth is just as big as usual", but what I actually said was "thanks".
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Had a 2.2 lb loss this week, which was really nice to see, since I said in an earlier post that I felt like I had not been eating very healthy this week. But I guess since I came in under my calorie limit most days, it still worked!

Definitely have not been very mobile this week. Gonna try to change that. Today I'm going walking with some girlfriends after work. And I hope to make better exercise efforts this weekend!

Hope everyone is well!
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Walked for 60 minutes last night and only rested twice! I feel like I am getting more stamina and less pain. I've noticed my husband is losing, also. He claims he hasn't dropped any lbs, and maybe he hasn't, but I can tell that he is slimmer around his sides, and he says his pants are a little looser. Really happy about that for him!

Checked in with my doctor last night. He is happy with my slow, but steady, progress. He wants me to try dropping to 1200 calories (presently I am on 1600), but if I find my appetite can't handle that, to increase my dosage of my meds next week. I know that I presently will not be able to go down to 1200, but maybe I can try for 1400 or 1500 this week.
  • krabuck
    Options
    @kaferine69 great loss this week and great job on your long walk!!! And thanks for your sweet message! It’s so strange to me how some people just let things fall out of their mouths… especially in a professional setting!!! The silver lining is knowing that we must be producing results from our hard work!!!

Tonight I am having a few friends over for a fire. We are going to have hot dogs, chips, s’mores and beers. Tomorrow is my official weekly weigh in and I’m pretty sure it will be an increase from today’s 248.4 but I am not stressing about it. I do plan to have a healthy breakfast/lunch in preparation for tonight. And I’m gonna track it all. I think without beers I could stay in my limit, but I’m having beer(s)!! 😄 maybe I’ll get a 6 pack of Michalob Ultras just for me.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
  • kaferine69
    Options
    This weekend I made the connection that I feel more hungry when I eat more sweet things. Even though I am staying under my calorie limit every day, I have definitely been eating more sweet snacks and drinking soda. And I can feel the difference - I feel more sluggish, not rested, and I get hungry much more often and more severely. Even though I knew, intellectually, that this was a "thing", I guess I never really made the connection personally. I feel like that's progress.

So, I am going to focus again on getting more healthy snacks with low sugar content, more protein, and continuing to stay under my calorie limits. I also have been using my recumbent bike and an under-the-desk peddler daily for some movement.

This is a really tough journey, but the self-awareness has been *almost* more rewarding than the weight loss.
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Hope everyone's doing ok... feels like I am the only one posting on here lately! Checking in on @krabuck, @jan110144, @Awegg05, and all other lurkers!

Today is a half day at work! Hubby and I are headed to a concert in a town about 2 hours away, and there's one of those revolving conveyor belt sushi places there, so we're making an evening of it. Hoping to eat very lightly until then so we can enjoy and have a little bit of an indulge!!

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @kaferine69 - have followed this conversation, and you are doing well, yay u!

I think 'motivation' comes and goes, and, it is easy to stop self-care when we are stressed, not feeling it or tuff stuff happens. Super busy? Hard to post... the reasons are different at different times for all of us. I think being someplace where other people try to helps strengthen motivation, so kudos to you for showing up :)
    Ps - sent you a friend request, but not sure it went thru. I did'nt see anything even flicker on the scrern.
  • krabuck
    Options
    Hey! Still making my way along the journey.. had my cookout on Saturday night and definitely overspent in calories. But it was a really fun night! Today is the first day I feel totally back on track. Sunday-Tuesday wasn’t bad with my deficit but I felt that slippery slope pulling, where I could fall right back into old patterns. Today I finally felt strong again.

I have been jogging every other day but couldn’t jog today because it’s raining where I live. And tomorrow I am meeting an old coworker for dinner, so I can’t jog then! But it’s still going well with C25K. I am starting to look forward to runs!

Have a great night, @kaferine69 !! I have never tried sushi, but a conveyor belt sushi train sounds fun!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,741 Member
    Options
    I’m here. Chugging along. Reading and cheering you on from mostly lurker status.

Complete agreement that motivation is a fickle beast. You can’t rely on it. I really wish there was a switch to flip and just be “WHOO HOO! HERE I GO! Exercising and logging my healthy choices! I did my physical therapy exercises! And the laundry is done, the kitchen is clean, I did my taxes…. ”

Unfortunately motivation is mostly just gritting your teeth and often some swearing (in my case anyways)

This stuff is hard work. That’s the truth.
    Most of us struggle. There are times when we just want to chuck it all and go vacation somewhere where calories don’t exist, and TicToc and Instagram ads for instant abs are all true and only cost $9.95 a month.

Hold fast. Keep going.

It does (eventually) get a little easier.

It is worth the struggle. I promise.
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Thanks for checking in! Motivation is definitely a difficult thing to navigate.

This last week I only lost 0.5 lbs, but I knew after our indulging last night and my having eaten more sweet/processed foods over the past week that I'm lucky I did have a loss at all. The positive thing is that I kept under my calorie goal, so it did result in a small loss.

Today is our monthly Skate Date night with my best gal friends. Two hours or so of skating. So I will definitely be getting a workout in tonight!

Hope you're all well!
  • kaferine69
    Options
    Happy Friday to everyone!

Had a great skate session last night. I did not have to stop or sit down nearly as much. We were there for about an hour & 20 min, but I only listed an hour to account for times I had to rest. So much fun! Was able to move and groove much easier than last month. Progress!!

My med dosage went up again last night as well. Fortunately, I did not react as poorly to this increase like I did to the last one. I was terribly ill for like two days after. I don't feel any ill effects this time. Hooray!

I am helping out a friend tomorrow by taking her pups out for a potty break while she is out of town, and I am hoping to take them out for a nice, long walk. Her apartment has a nice, large lake in the middle of it, so I think it'll be nice walking them around it.