People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options

Replies

• ashleyGW111
    Options
    my problem is this
    I love running....and i am very lazy

I love it when I run, I feel free and full of energy, my body craves the run and yet I deprive it with laziness. I find excuse after excuse not to go for a run. even though my brain is screaming to shh and go run!

How did you get started running? what gets your bum off the bed/chair and gets you going.

Hello! Many of my friends ask me the same question-- how do you run so much?
    Running may seem like a daunting activity, and there definitely are days when I don't want to, but when I was in high school I played several team sports and ran an average of 2 hours a day. After graduating, I wanted to stay active and saw running as a good outlet. (I never particularly enjoyed it before). I started with 20 minute runs, then gradually increased my distance, and then speed. It really does become easier as you go (consistency is key) and now running marathons gives me a great sense of accomplishment and motivation. If you want to chat about getting started with running, shoot me a message or comment! :)
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet. Good illustration of this.

Good luck OP!

thank you! I defnitely think abs are made in the kitchen. Hopefully my change in diet will help me change my body
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Good luck OP!

thank you! I defnitely think abs are made in the kitchen. Hopefully my change in diet will help me change my body

It'll help make sure you never get abs, actually. Your massive, unhealthy, counterproductive calorie deficit will force your body to consume muscle, organ, and bone mass to make up for it. Your fat mass can probably supply around 1200 calories a day, max. You're running calorie deficits of 1700+. Where do you think the extra 500, 600, 700 calories are coming from?

A pound of fat can supply 3500 calories to your body. A pound of muscle can supply only about 600. When your body needs 500 calories and it can't get from fat because you're maxing out your fat metabolism ability, guess what happens.
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    To the OP:

If you want to keep people updated on your efforts to train for a marathon while subsisting on a VLCD, perhaps you should create a group. While it won't provide the attention and drama of a general forum post, you can get all the kudos you want.

Continuing to post your plans in the forums will only result in more people telling you that your plan is dangerous and will be difficult to sustain. A private group will give you your own audience that may be more supportive of your efforts and probably won't try to educate you on how dangerous it actually is.

Hi Lora! thanks for the advice :) I just like the thread because anyone can see it and chime in, and Im looking for a broad base of opinions here, as well as sharing experiences with anyone interested and also hoping others will share their experiences too. I dont intend on creating any drama, as Im not going to mention the "pound goal" anymore-- since people seem to fixate on that number. Its just more about doing a lot of cardio and losing weight, which i think a wider audience could learn and benefit from, rather than from a small group.

My plan is not dangerous, and I think you will see that as I update my posts. I will be detailed about food, calories, exercise, mood, etc. I would also love your (or others') feedback about your thoughts and experiences as well! I think there is good conversation to be had here, about the cardio vs weight lifting debate, how a change in diet can really change your weight loss..

People can read about lots of articles on the internet about how cardio and eating healthy can help them lose weight, but I wanted to provide a real life, real-time account of my experience with it, with specific details for anyone interested. That is all
  • jonnythan
    Options
    My plan is not dangerous

I would like to know what information you used to come to the conclusion that a net calorie intake of zero calories per day is "not dangerous."
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

I wouldn't say the op is "fat" their BMI would be 24 I think? which is normal.

Good luck with your healthy eating OP.

THIS.

I am 145 lbs and I'm two inches shorter than OP. And my bf % is 22....

You can't look at height and weight and call someone "fat."

That being said, I was 174 lbs and almost 40% bf when I was running three times a week because I ate a lot. I had soy lattes from starbucks (extra sugar), I ate starbucks sammiches (those tiny things are like 400 calories each and I needed two for a meal!), and I relaxed after a stressful day with a 800 calorie burrito followed with some chips and guacamole. That added up over time.

I got down to 145 just by counting calories (1200 + exercise calories= which meant I was eating about 1500 calories a day!). I kept that caloric intake while adjusting exercise- started doing HIIT instead of steady state running for 20 minutes 3-4 x's a week. I got down to 135. Then I had to go on the candida diet and got down to 123, and probably under 19% bf. That's how I lost weight with lots of cardio.

I was skinny. But it wasn't good. I was tired and weak feeling.

So that's when I started strength training and upped my caloric intake to 1700-1900, with no credit for exercise. I'm up 20 lbs, but I also gained muscle in that time. Now my goal is to be 134 lbs and with my current LBM, that will be 16% bf. I think the best program includes cardio and resistance training. I realized I gained fat in that time, obviously I went up to 23% bf in that time. That was because, for me, tdee wasn't a good idea because life happened and I kept eating a TDEE based on working out 4 x's a week but I wasn't working out 4 x's a week. So I gained muscle and fat, but I'm ok with it. I'll just call it a "bulk" :)

Anyways, resistance training actually improved my running by strengthening my knee joints. It's worth taking a stab at and has a lot of other benefits, like raising metabolism, improving strength of muscles and bones, and it switches it up.

But if you hate resistance training, I would still say you aren't going to be happy with your training if you aren't fueling yourself enough for those runs.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    My plan is not dangerous

I would like to know what information you used to come to the conclusion that a net calorie intake of zero calories per day is "not dangerous."

I've given up on this argument, *for now*. She claimed yesterday in the second nuked thread that eating only 1,100 calories would not be the norm. I will give her the benefit of the doubt until she continues to net virtually nothing for the day.
  • ashleyGW111
    Options
    Day 1: 9/4/13 150 pounds

egg white omelette (200 cal)
    large salad with tuna (500-600 cal)
    2 chocolate chip muffins (couldnt resist).. (400 cal)

ran 9.3 miles

I know With this much exercise, I should eat more today, but I feel great and energetic and I listen to my body when it tells me its hungry or not, so for today this is it!

Day 2: 9.5.13

Woke up feeling good, although dehydrated-- drank lots of water
    Stepped on the scale and was pleasantly surprised by the number (I won't post it yet because I dont want to focus on the number-- I'll post later in a few days because I know most of this weight is water weight that came off.)

8 am-- bowl of cheerios with vanilla yogurt and blueberries (250 cal)
    and egg white omelette (200 cal)

went to trader joe's and bought tons of fruits, veggies, and chicken instead of the normal crap I buy! hopefully this healthy eating this will continue.. fearing cravings (I binge eat junk food when I crave it)

happy thursday!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

If you want to keep people updated on your efforts to train for a marathon while subsisting on a VLCD, perhaps you should create a group. While it won't provide the attention and drama of a general forum post, you can get all the kudos you want.

Continuing to post your plans in the forums will only result in more people telling you that your plan is dangerous and will be difficult to sustain. A private group will give you your own audience that may be more supportive of your efforts and probably won't try to educate you on how dangerous it actually is.

Hi Lora! thanks for the advice :) I just like the thread because anyone can see it and chime in, and Im looking for a borad base of opinions here, as well as sharing experiences with anyone interested and also hoping others will share their experiences too. I dont intend on creating any drama, as Im not going to mention the "pound goal" anymore-- since people seem to fixate on that number. Its just more about doing a lot of cardio and losing weight, which i think a wider audience could learn and benefit from, rather than from a small group.

My plan is not dangerous, and I think you will see that as I update my posts. I will be detailed about food, calories, exercise, mood, etc. I would also love your (or others') feedback about your thoughts and experiences as well! I think there is good conversation to be had here, about the cardio vs weight lifting debate, how a change in diet can really change your weight loss..

People can read about lots of articles on the internet about how cardio and eating healthy can help them gain weight, but I wanted to provide a real life, real-time account of my experience with it, with specific details for anyone interested. That is all

so in other words.. you are only going to tell PART of the story, the part that people will accept and embrace...

then you will spin your weight losses based on that and lead other naive people to believe that what you are doing is sustainable and healthy.

not only jeopardizing your own health, but the health of those around you.

wow, that's just beautiful.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    fearing cravings (I binge eat junk food when I crave it)

Now there's a surprise. A girl doing massive amounts of cardio and barely eating anything gets cravings followed by binge eating?

It's almost hard to believe.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    ack. so now I see this is a zero net cal thread?

NM.

You need to net something because your body needs some energy just to exist.... unless you are logging your heart beats and your digestion and eating those calories too.....

D'oh!
  • ashleyGW111
    Options

Now there's a surprise. A girl doing massive amounts of cardio and barely eating anything gets cravings followed by binge eating?

youre entitled to your opinion, youre free to believe what you want :)
    If you don't think I'm real/ sincere, by all means, please continue! :)
    I enjoy your feedback thanks!
  • jonnythan
    Options

youre entitled to your opinion, youre free to believe what you want :)
    If you don't think I'm real/ sincere, by all means, please continue! :)
    I enjoy your feedback thanks!

I know you're real. That's what's so sad and terrifying.

You're netting zero calories a day. You're running calorie deficits in excess of 1500 per day.

This is not healthy. It is an eating disorder. You need to drastically change your eating habits. You are ravaging your body.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Spain-train-crash.gif

You don't think having days where you net zero or negative cals is dangerous.....at all.

BTW, your super dehydration can come from not enough nutrition (food), not a lack of water.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Spain-train-crash.gif

/thread.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

ran 9.3 miles

I know With this much exercise, I should eat more today, but I feel great and energetic and I listen to my body when it tells me its hungry or not, so for today this is it!

Stepped on the scale and was pleasantly surprised by the number (I won't post it yet because I dont want to focus on the number-- I'll post later in a few days because I know most of this weight is water weight that came off.)

went to trader joe's and bought tons of fruits, veggies, and chicken instead of the normal crap I buy! hopefully this healthy eating this will continue.. fearing cravings (I binge eat junk food when I crave it)

happy thursday!

Better start then yesterday at least. How many calories do you burn on an average run, btw?

Just some information for you based on your stats. This is based on your personal stats + assumption that you have 7-21 hours of strenuous exercise each week (I assumed you run for ~2 hrs/day).

-Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1517

-Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 2883

-Daily calories for a 25% reduction from TDEE (The most aggressive you can go): 2162

What this means for you:

-Your body *needs* at least 1,517 calories a day. And that's if you were 100% sedentary. To meet the bare minimum for survival, you'd need to eat another 1,067 calories today.

-To do this "right", you need to eat 2,162 calories a day. That means you'd need another 1,712 calories today.

Simply providing this for you as a guideline. As I said earlier, I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now, and see if you actually make progress towards eating enough to fuel your body.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Good luck OP!

you're not going to have any muscle mass left to show when you're done destroying your body
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't post this to give you a hard time, I promise. But ... your poor bones. Please reconsider your plan-damage to your feet, shins, and knees can cause a lot of chronic, painful trouble for you later on. It won't be a matter of running 10 miles, it will be a matter of not being able to walk 1 mile. I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

ran 9.3 miles

happy thursday!

Better start then yesterday at least. How many calories do you burn on an average run, btw?

Just some information for you based on your stats. This is based on your personal stats + assumption that you have 7-21 hours of strenuous exercise each week (I assumed you run for ~2 hrs/day).

-Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1517

-Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 2883

-Daily calories for a 25% reduction from TDEE (The most aggressive you can go): 2162

What this means for you:

-Your body *needs* at least 1,517 calories a day. And that's if you were 100% sedentary. To meet the bare minimum for survival, you'd need to eat another 1,067 calories today.

-To do this "right", you need to eat 2,162 calories a day. That means you'd need another 1,712 calories today.

Simply providing this for you as a guideline. As I said earlier, I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now, and see if you actually make progress towards eating enough to fuel your body.

Ahh, science & maths!! :drinker: :heart:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't post this to give you a hard time, I promise. But ... your poor bones. Please reconsider your plan-damage to your feet, shins, and knees can cause a lot of chronic, painful trouble for you later on. It won't be a matter of running 10 miles, it will be a matter of not being able to walk 1 mile. I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not.

This is a good point. That sort of calorie deficit combined with continued stress on your bones and joints means your body will not have the nutrients or energy required to repair itself.
This discussion has been closed.