Daily checking in.

Options
MissTapTap
MissTapTap Posts: 16 Member
I recently saw a post on daily accountability and this resonated with me.
I think this is what I need but where and how!? Could MFP be the answer?
I have unsuccessfully tried Noom, WW and for the last 4 months a personal coach to lose the weight.
Instead I have steadily increased my weight by 2 kg!!
I am a mother/ partner/sister/ daughter in my late 50's just wanting to lose the 5kg I gained during perimenopause (and the extra 2kg I recently gained).
I lack motivation to exercise daily (achy joints).
I eat as planned throughout the day and lose all motivation and will power by evening time.
My partner snacks in the evenings and I have also picked up this habit!!
I am hoping by logging into MFP daily I can stay accountable to myself.
I am NOT giving up!

Replies

• lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Giving up is not the answer to anything. I also need help with motivation. And I have another problem besides my weight. I need to control my blood sugar. A1C was high on tuesday when I seen the nurse practioner. Doing ok since the 2nd.
  • KJMusings
    KJMusings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I understand where both of you are coming from. I live by myself so it's easy for me to get into a "meh" mindset which is why I'm in the condition I'm in. The lockdowns were a disaster for me. I rarely cooked before but as I spent time at home watching cooking videos I would start trying the things I liked out of boredom and wound up gaining 50 pounds. Now I've got pre-diabetes, high blood pressure and diverticulosis along with arthritis etc. Exercise is a struggle for me too due to knees, hip and back issues. But signing back on to my fitness has made things so much easier. Logging what I eat, (good or bad) has really helped me. I primarily started doing it because I wanted to monitor how much sugar, sodium, carbs etc i'm getting and it's made all the difference as I make adjustments based on the totals. I've cut back on carbs and I'm eating within my limit of sugar and I'm down 8 pounds in 2 weeks. (Not going to lie, I do ease up on the weekends.) However, now I can see my sodium intake is still too high as well as protein intake, and I'm not getting near enough potassium. Anyway, I ramble. Don't give up. MFP is a great tool, if for no other reason than it tells you where you need to adjust your eating and for me, it has altered my brain a bit so I am eating less without hardly realizing it. Lastly, find something to occupy your mind during the day. I'm on my computer at work all day which keeps me distracted. Then I'm on my computer at night doing personal stuff while watching tv which also keeps me distracted and by the time I'm ready for bed I realize I haven't had a snack since dinner. Hope this helps :smile:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool. I lost 135 lbs 12 yrs ago using MFP and kept it off until the last few yrs going up and down 14 lbs due to stress eating. My husband has Parkinson’s and had deep brain stimulation surgery last yr, this year went through cancer treatments, along with other life stressors. But I am back on track and am down 11 of the 14 lbs. I found when I first started just walking half a block 5 daysbabweekmand then increasing helped me get started, now I do the treadmill for 30 mins and do weights. I also decided I was going to snack so I just twitchednto healthiermoptions, such as popcorn no butter just olive oil spray and seasoning or grapes, melon, veggie straws, ice cream bars, etc. I hope this helps…..
  • derbytime1
    derbytime1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I’m 60 and need to lose 50 pounds. It used to be 40 lbs up and I’ve eaten myself up 10 in the evenings, wondering what the heck my deal is. I’ve got to turn this boat around somehow. One day at a time. I do like the macro tracking rather than calories.
  • antonyshow
    antonyshow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    derbytime1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments. I’m 60 and need to lose 50 pounds. It used to be 40 lbs up and I’ve eaten myself up 10 in the evenings, wondering what the heck my deal is. I’ve got to turn this boat around somehow. One day at a time here. I do like the macro tracking rather than calories.

If you're interested in macro tracking, there are some great apps and resources available. Would you like some recommendations?
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    @derbytime1 I hear you ! I am also thinking enough is enough, I need to start today!
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    @themommie some good ideas for snacks!
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    @KJMusings yes, distraction is key!
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    @lcharpentier2 thanks for your support!
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    Well yesterday didn't go as planned and I thoguth I was on track! All went well until bed time (Tv in bed) and then the snacks came out! DAm- todays a new day!!
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes it is Miss tap tap. We can and must take care of ourselves because no one else give a dam about us. So let's get busy with this.
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • MissTapTap
    Options
  • tanyaappleby1341
    tanyaappleby1341 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Ugh, just needed to express what brings me here. I need accountability! So many friends say yes I’ll
    I have logged everyday for at least a year. I have no problem with if I ate it I’ll log it.
    I am a personal trainer so workout is not an issue for me. I actually love it but the FOOD. I eat the healthy nuts, small amounts of oatmeal, healthy whole grains, chicken, fish, avocado…. Lots of good healthy food then the late afternoon through after dinner BAM. Cheese, chips, crackers, gosh I love that stuff. I have done really well in staying away from sugar. Still occasionally will have something sweet but for the most part stay away from it because it wreaks havoc on my arthritis. I am 64 and in no way ready to slow down except in my consumption of food. Help!
  • MissTapTap
    Options
    @tanyaappleby1341 I hear you!! I feel exactly the same way. I enjoy healthy eating throughout the day and its the evening that throws me off track. I consider myself to lead a healthy well balanced life style but see my abdomen growing bigger each week! I really don't know where to start which is why I wrote this post.
    I am trying to stick to 1400 calories a day with one cheat day a week.
    Here goes! Monday today Day one of starting over.
    You can do it too!
    Miss Taptap x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!