How do you decide how many calories or macros?

Options
So I see that you can go on and plug in your weight age and things like that and it’ll say here or use this many calories. And you can do the same to get your macros. I can’t help thinking that that is not specific to a person so to speak. I wanted to be able to do keto, but it doesn’t work out well for me as I don’t have a gallbladder. I have also recently found after becoming sick and going to the hospital, and being diagnosed with the severe case of colitis, which thank the Lord, the antibiotics and medicine have pretty much cleared up, but that time during the CT they said I also have a fatty liver. Trying to figure out what calories and things that I should be eating actually Lose Weight other than just one that goes here eat eight 800 cal or another one it says oh women your age and wait to be eating 1200 cal I wouldn’t mind doing the macros, but again Figuring out what macros that I need to be able to eat for me to be able to lose weight. I read that you have to change certain macros for it to be weight loss and of course I can’t figure out where I saw that at. I welcome any advice that you guys have to give because I really want to win this weight, loss, journey, and take control of my life, I’m also two points away from actually being a diabetic I’d like to prevent that as well. And lastly, please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    With your medical issues, my suggestion is to ask your medical team for a referral to a registered Dietician.

Most people do well with the macros suggested here (50%C 30%F 20%P) but that may not work for you, so get professional advice.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited April 9
    Options
    The advice to see a professional is good advice but I know a few people without gallbladders that are using the ketogenic diet and it's working well for them and the keto diet is also known to reduce A1C blood glucose and reduce and restore a healthy liver and kidneys for that matter in the absence of calorie restriction. But it's not a diet especially if your coming from mostly a standard American diet to just jump on without medical supervision, so don't do that and go see your PCP or a dietitian that understands the pathology and the effects of low carb and ketogenic diets specifically. There's also studies for colitis, and it helps people with Crohn's as well which are basically inflammatory responses to chronic inflammation and the keto diet has been shown to be beneficial considering it not only reduces fiber that can and does aggravate the condition but a keto diet also reduces inflammation very well, mostly to do with lowering triglycerides and improvements in insulin sensitivity, so maybe talk with a dietitian about that as well. :)