Anyone using injectible weight loss meds ? (Ozempic, etc.)

Options
2»

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    For those of you with the nausea side effect, how did you manage this?
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I too was successful with Phen/fen because it changed my brain chemistry to mimic people with normal relationships with food. With Phen/fen, I was able to get full when I ate. Without it I could continue eating and never feel full. With Phen/fen I wasn’t obsessed with when my next meal would come and what I was going to eat. Without it the focus was entirely on food 24/7. The effect of these drugs on people’s brains is proof positive that this is a brain chemistry problem that the medication solves. This is very similar to an antidepressant changing brain chemistry for someone who has depression.
  • mwright5806
    mwright5806 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started on May 11, 2024. My doctor was concerned about my BMI and my weight She put me on 2.5 Zepbound, along with a low-cal diet, and try to increase my exercise as able. I have Modic type 1 endplate changes to my endplates in my spine. It's very painful! I had multiple surgeries in 2023, but my Neurosurgeon said there is nothing more he can do, the risks far outweigh the benefits. I have gained weight from being practically immobile for a year now. I stretch every day, some things I can't do, but I have a health coach and I work with a Physical Therapist to adjust my exercises when needed.

I had my first dose on Monday, 5/14/24 and I have followed the low-cal diet and not hungry at all. I feel fatigued but am increasing my protein and electrolytes. I am excited to walk (I use a walker because my Modic Type 1 changes cause me to randomly fall).. Anyway, I am excited and motivated and staying very positive! I am only 60 years old!
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started Zepbound last week. Other than a headache the day after the first dose I didn’t have any problems. I have to lose about 70 lbs, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, pre diabetes. I have been somewhat successful with just calorie counting, a few times I’ve lost 20-30 lbs only to regain so I decided to try something else.

I’m disappointed with the naysayers who seem to think we’re just not trying hard enough. I need to get out of the yo yo mindset. I’ve never been able to get to an average weight on my own, months of restriction just to put it right back on.
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just commenting here... the pharmaceutical companies encourage obesity. They make money on it. Its their cash cow, so to speak.

The semaglutide will ONLY work if you are not eating junk, and are elevating your physicality. Otherwise, it is just a fad without any true purpose besides making the pharmaceutical companies richer. And they know that further down the line, you will be ready to take more of their meds that enable you to still eat like crap.

I got my bloodwork back from the doc. Tris, lipids and liver enzymes all pre-cardiac arrest. I know there is one surefire cure: eating right, eating less, losing weight and increasing cardio activity. And it all sums up to will power.

I made a deal with him. I am going to lose weight in 2 months, and if my blood panel isn't down, I will get on the cholesterol meds until they are.

I say all that to just make sure you only use meds until you don't have to. And most of the meds manufactured for metabolic disease most people don't need permanently. Treat it as a medical condition, not a stigma. The medical condition is poor bloodwork from poor diet and lethargy. Change that, and everything else is icing.

Cheers!
  • josh250to180
    josh250to180 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »

I’m disappointed with the naysayers who seem to think we’re just not trying hard enough. I need to get out of the yo yo mindset. I’ve never been able to get to an average weight on my own, months of restriction just to put it right back on.

Its not necessarily your fault. Its free-market corporate America. Most ads are about things to make you obese, or to eventually deal with the results of your obesity. Fat people make companies rich. They buy the meds, they buy the bigger sizes, they give in to temptation at literally every corner from their stressful job. They watch tv, where every other ad is either about crappy food they shouldn't eat, or a medication because they do.

Ive been lucky to this point. I am at the limit of "I don't need medication". But I am probably 10 years or less away from a cardiac event if nothing changes. And my father just had a triple bypass, after a near-fatal heart attack. This is a man that didn't take any meds. Now, he is on 10 different meds to cure his heart. So I am mentally motivated to do better. Bring it on, corporate America. :#
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    My husband started on Zepbound a few months ago. All that did was make him feel sick and he didn't lose much weight. With he shortage of Zepbound, he was then put on Ozempic which is working fabulously for him.

For those with the negative comments about these weight loss injections. You are insensitive and don't know what you're talking about. I don't like that my husband is on a drug. But, when he talks openly with me about his struggle with constant hunger and how he felt helpless and doomed... and now he has hope and he can for the first time in his life eat like a "normal" person and think about food with reason. It almost makes me cry. I have no idea ..and neither do you.. of what bigger struggles other people have with what seems "controllable and sensible". Criticizing someone else's path to wellness; are the remarks of a know-it-all bore.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    Criticizing someone else's path to wellness; are the remarks of a know-it-all bore.

Agreed - self righteous know it all comments don't help anyone.
  • corgisncollies
    corgisncollies Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ozempic to manage my diabetes and have been for 4 1/2 years. For me, it's just another tool. I know it isn't a miracle drug and I have worked hard to change my eating habits. My taste buds have changed so much. Most desserts are way too sweet and I used to have the biggest sweet tooth. I eat tons of vegetables and lean proteins. If it were more affordable, I would eat so much more seafood than I do because I love it now. If I had to pick a favorite food, it would be shrimp. I'm not perfect. I still eat too many carbs some days. I feel like the medication helps me feel full faster so that I am less likely to overeat, but I have had to learn to listen to my body and not eat emotionally. I am down roughly 85 pounds, which is not much considering how long it has taken me and how far I still have to go, but I just keep plugging along, refusing to give up, knowing that I'm still better off than I was.