Am I just a whiny *B*?

Options

Replies

• egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options

I have a heart rate monitor arriving Friday to get another reading on calories burned, but will continue to use the lowest number when doing my calorie counts.

I need to get one of these for sure
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing to burn 750-1000 cals??? For me that is 1.5-2 hrs of continuous running 9-10 min/mile pace. I'm thinking you are overestimating exercise burns and eating too much of it back.

45 mins of elliptical and 60 mins yoga. MFP gives me the calories.

MFP's elliptical setting is very general, it can't take into account speed or resistance. I find it very generous. Does you elliptical give you a number?
    Your burn will vary depending on the type of yoga as well. Also consider you aren't doing yoga the entire 60 minute class. When I do workout classes I usually log them as 45 minute to make up for some of the downtime.

Basically I agree your calorie burns are pretty high.
  • egh1974
    Options
    I don't usually eat back my exercise cals though....
  • A3L7
    A3L7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are, the more calories you'll burn as well. So if you weigh 150 you're running 2 hours at 6 mph, you would burn significantly less than someone who is 250 doing the same.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing to burn 750-1000 cals??? For me that is 1.5-2 hrs of continuous running 9-10 min/mile pace. I'm thinking you are overestimating exercise burns and eating too much of it back.

MFP estimates are often pretty off frankly.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Measure everything accurately with a scale and log it
    Exercise (don't overestimate your burns)
    Eat all your calories
    Patience.
  • egh1974
    Options
    I think some of you are right though. I actually may not be eating enough, which is so hard for me to wrap my head around. I think for the next week I'll try the TDEE - 20% thing. I used this website to come up with that. Is this a pretty good one?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Francl27
    Options
    Also, probably obvious, but you haven't logged anything in the last week pretty much, so you can't expect to have results if you don't log.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

MFP estimates are often pretty off frankly.

For things like walking and running they aren't bad but once you get into other types it is hard to estimate anyway.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I think some of you are right though. I actually may not be eating enough, which is so hard for me to wrap my head around. I think for the next week I'll try the TDEE - 20% thing. I used this website to come up with that. Is this a pretty good one?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

It's a good one, they do tend to overestimate calories though. I'm active every day (walk 5 miles minimum) and workout twice a week on top of that, and I'm still only really lightly active.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I suggest a HRM to calculate the calories burned properly. I think if you are exercising that much and only eating 1600 calories, maybe you are not eating enough.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I suggest a HRM to calculate the calories burned properly. I think if you are exercising that much and only eating 1600 calories, maybe you are not eating enough.

A HRM isn't going to be accurate for yoga.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
  • egh1974
    Options

Link doesn't work :(
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Measure everything accurately with a scale and log it
    Exercise (don't overestimate your burns)
    Eat all your calories
    Patience.

^This.
    There is so much misinformation posted here already. Every one take a deep breath, and chill. 2 weeks is not a plateau. What you were doing was working very well for you. If you haven't changed anything, just keep at it.

ETA: 12 pounds in a month is awesome! Congrats! That's 3 pounds per week! Do you really expect more?
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary...my first glance was TOO MUCH SODIUM and too many calories. 1,800 is my maximum. I have recently lost 30 lbs by changing my approach. I dont eat back my calories. I limit my carbs. I bumped my protein up to over 200 grams a day.

You have a lot of empty calories and not enough fruits and veges. Instead of that sausage get a boiled egg.
  • egh1974
    Options

ETA: 12 pounds in a month is awesome! Congrats! That's 3 pounds per week! Do you really expect more?

The answer is yes - I'm a spoiled brat lol
  • jjwalker77
    jjwalker77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I need to get one of these for sure
    [/quote]

DEFINITELY worth the money - and super motivating. I was logging my TurboFire workouts in as "Kickboxing" because that is what it is and it was estimating 700+ calories. Even on the long workouts (45-60 minutes) I burn 450-500. Over a week, that is 1000 extra calories that it was over estimating for me as "burned" - kwim?

Yoga is awesome flexibility training, but it doesn't burn near as many calories as MFP estimates, even if you're carrying some extra pounds.

I also am struggling with the scale. I have lost 5 inches off my waist over 3 months. My clothes aren't really a lot looser, but I feel awesome and am less jiggly everywhere from building all kinds of muscle. I have to think of this as not a linear goal - like "I want to lose 25 pounds by x date" but more like "I want to eat healthy, feel good, and love my body...FOREVER."
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I would guess these are high estimates. I'd say 400 max for either of those.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You need to be consistent with your logging. Even on the weekends. Or Especially on the weekends.