Hi from Hyacinth

Options
I’m here (again) to finally lose this weight. I’m 52, pre-menopausal, and I have 70 pounds to lose to be considered in the “healthy” range. I have pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. I had a wake up call/health scare recently and am now fully committed to putting the time and energy into myself. Hoping to find inspiration here as I don’t feel that I have a great support group IRL. We can do hard things! Please say hello if anything in my intro resonates with you.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

Take heart: Weight loss after 50 isn't impossible. Personally, I'm not even convinced that age makes it materially more difficult, though some things that are more statistically common later in life can do so, like physical limitations, muscle loss or fitness decreases, a less physically active job and home life, and that sort of thing.

I used to have high blood pressure, but weight loss (around 50 pounds in my case, at 59-60) seems to have gotten that under control. I did and do have sleep apnea, one of the people for whom weight loss didn't resolve that (though it does for some). I also used to have high cholesterol/triglycerides, also resolved by weight loss, but not high blood sugar or A1C. Weight loss was around 8 years ago, and I'm still at a healthy weight, thanks in large part to MFP (the app) plus the people here.

I'm cheering for you to succeed with this: IME, the results are worth it!
  • Hyacinth2023
    Hyacinth2023 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that today! I’m on day 3 of tracking and have found it pretty easy so far, especially focusing on protein and fiber.

Your story is inspiring! Thank you for sharing. Happy to be friends here if you’re up for it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited April 23
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:

I have to admit, I'm kind of a sub-par MFP friend - more of a Community forum gal, I guess. But I do accept friend requests (from nice people like you!), my diary is open to friends, I still log most days (not all), and will answer questions on my profile page or via DM. I encourage you to stick with the process no matter what you decide about that, and to participate (read/post) here in the Community! :)
  • doobinlee
    doobinlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just on week 3. I've done so so. Out of 16 days I've stayed on track 11. I'm trying to not beat myself up but it's hard. Hoping to find encouragement and people working at weight loss also.
  • VestaLewis
    VestaLewis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Hyacinth. I’m 49 and 5’4 and mu weitght is up to 198. Crazy high for me. I’ll be your pal, we’ve got this!
  • lasttimelooser
    lasttimelooser Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 52 and post menopause need to loose 50 lbs. I started tracking again. My goal it to track 100g of protein and 100 oz of water every day.