Paying my daughter to run....

Options

Replies

• Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Most people bribe their kids. I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing except that as she gets fitter it's gonna cost you a fortune!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated by money!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was a bad idea to pay kids to do what they should be doing anyway. But I've seen too many success stories to argue with it. Carry on.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    She wants to do gymnastics, but we have been advised against it due to all of her broken bones... So she said she wants to do dance and we have her signed up to start in 2 weeks. I'm praying she really likes it and sticks with it.

My niece did dance for a few years hated it but found twirling and fell in love, now she is a competitive baton twirler - that may be something your daughter might be interested in too as she likes gymnastics.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i think it is a great idea, good for you.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    For cripes sakes....my kids's grandpa pays them a nickel for every dandelion they pick out of his yard. Bribes are not a bad thing.

Those people are idiots who've never raised kids..or if they have thier jealous they didn't think of the idea.

Way to go MOM! Keep on keepin on. You're doing the best you can with what you have where you are right now.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you see those people again, ask them if they pay their kids to do chores, because technically that's child labor. So shame on them.

I never got paid for doing chores, it's called responsibility and growing up.

I think if that's what helps your daughter run and will help her health and her scoliosis more power to you!!! She doesn't see it now, but if that helps that problem I bet she'll thank you down the line for keeping on her about that!!!

Also ask them if they tell their kids "you can't do x, y or z, until you eat everything on your plate."
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I think its a good thing. My parents paid me $1 for every B, $2 for every A on report cards and wpuld take $1 back for every C.

I was a straight A student.

I dont run unless im bring chased, but i could log a few 10Ks with that kind of motivation :)

Maybe this will cause her to love it, or even find a sport she enjoys more!

You go, mom!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't think you did anything wrong. You're not forcing her to do something that is hurting or scaring her. If you forced her to stay in gymnastics and she kept getting hurt (breaking bones), that'd be something else. But you're not doing that.

When there's no intrinsic motivation, you have to use extrinsic motivation.

You have a daughter, who you are concerned for, and she's earning allowance and developing a healthy habit. Good for you and her. So, what if you're paying her. Kids get paid to do chores, too.

No one tells a parent, oh you're a monster, because you pay allowance to your child to learn how to tend a yard an help keep a house clean as training for their future adult life. It's an expected norm in western culture. I don't see much difference between that and your situation.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I dont think there's anything wrong with that. A friend of mine's dad used to do the same in high school, and it motivated her. As an adult, she is still a runner. You are developing healthy habits!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Heck I'd run if someone paid me a $1 a lap now :)
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I was probably chubby (and definitely not athletic) at 10 and would've LOVED earning some money by doing stuff like this... I also would've loved if my mom or dad came with me! I don't recall getting money for swim team or softball, but there were ribbons and trophies to earn.

I don't see a problem with paying her for laps. If she gets doing it regularly, at some point she will likely refuse to take your money (or donate it or start saving for a car!) or find some other activity that she likes.
  • mmouse90
    Options
    You are doing this to help with her spine, not her looks. She is not old enough to really understand the long term affects her spine has on her and that she needs to address it now to prevent issues when she is older. You are still actively looking for things that she will be interested in and wont break any more bones. You run with her. Bribe away!! Heck $1 a lap would motivate me, would you be willing to adopt me and pay me $1 a lap?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i don't see anything wrong with this. However and this isn't a criticism, just a notation, part of why most of us struggle with our fitness is that we aren't doing something we love.

what happens when she gets older and has to do it for herself and no one will pay her? Where is her motivation.

Sure pay her to run, get her healthier, but maybe also look for things she will love, cause she's gonna need that later...a LOVE for it....when the money motivation is gone.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I think its a good thing. My parents paid me $1 for every B, $2 for every A on report cards and wpuld take $1 back for every C.

I was a straight A student.

I dont run unless im bring chased, but i could log a few 10Ks with that kind of motivation :)

Maybe this will cause her to love it, or even find a sport she enjoys more!

You go, mom!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's not like you told her she was fat and "I'll give you a buck for every lap, tubby!" Sometimes money is motivation, and hopefully it'll catch on and she won't feel like she has to get paid for it.

But while you're doing that, try more sports. You may find she's more enthusiastic about sports now that she's in really good shape from doing all that running.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feed back, advice and suggestions :)
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i don't see anything wrong with this. However and this isn't a criticism, just a notation, part of why most of us struggle with our fitness is that we aren't doing something we love.

what happens when she gets older and has to do it for herself and no one will pay her? Where is her motivation.

Sure pay her to run, get her healthier, but maybe also look for things she will love, cause she's gonna need that later...a LOVE for it....when the money motivation is gone.

I think the hope is that she will develop a love for it. When she discovers how good it makes her feel, I think it will be habit forming. Look at all of us on here, and shes young!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My daughter is your ordinary 10 yr old these days except she has scoliosis. Her scoliosis is minor and can be corrected some what with a chiropractor,basic exercise and targeted core work according to her physicians. That was not the news she wanted to hear because... she loves to be on her electronics of all types and not very active while having her momma's appetite. I had her playing soccer and she hated it bc she hates running, had her in soft ball and she thought it was boring and I was going to put her in gymnastics, but she kept breaking her right wrist... Since she has started 5th grade all she wants to do is come do her HW (which is great) and then watch TV or play games until bed... so last night I decided I need to do something different to try and motivate her. We went to the track and Oh my goodness she complained and came up with every excuse not to run until I offered to pay her $1 for every lap around the track. Light switched turned on and she immediately took off running and "Boom" 1 mile down.
    Sooo next thing you know people were saying "How great it is that she likes to run" and "How long has she been running?" and when I told them what was going on they immediately changed their tune and told me I was a terrible person for making my 10 yr old exercise and how I was giving her an image complex.

Maybe I am in the wrong, but I feel as if it my responsibility to have her healthy in every aspect of her life, which should obviously include her over all health.

Your daughter sounds 100% like me when I was 10 - even down to the minor scoliosis. While I was seeing a Chiro at the time, I don't remember him every tell my parents to get me involved in activities that would help my core strength (I moved to a big city after college and got a new chiro. THAT one did tell me and even gave me examples of activities. It has done wonders for my scoliosis).

My parents way of getting me away from my books and video games was basically to tell me I had to go outside and play and locking me out of the house. (This was when I was 10+. We lived in a very small town. No danger really) I didn't really know what to do with myself, so I would take my portable CD player(lol) and swing at the park for hours while listening to music. At least it was a form of physical activity. I'm not saying you should lock her out, but maybe just by forcing her to be outside, you can motivate her to find something that interest her. For example, take away her phone/games/books/etc. and take her to a park. Maybe take a ball or something with you and simply insists that you both stay there for an hour or two, even if you just sit there. If that bores her, she'll get up and find something.

This post is longer than I intended. Let me just say that I don't think you are a bad person. You are not telling your daughter to run because she is fat or that she will be fat. You want her to be healthy and follow doctors orders. So long as you concentrate on health and not on appearance, I don't think paying her to run is damaging at all. It's the same as my parents paying me for good grades I got on my report card. They didn't tell me I was stupid or deficient. They just said, here is your award if you accomplish this, and I worked hard to accomplish those grades.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with a little motivation but how long can you keep that up. In the meantime, look for other things that she might enjoy as well. Have you considered Wii Fit? Exercise and play all in one. Good for those rainy day when she can't run.