Women over 60..heading to 70

Options
seaview1955
seaview1955 Posts: 1 Member
I’m really enjoying reading the stories in this forum..we all have so much in common! I have been lucky with never any real problem with my weight ..until these last 6 months.. I picked up ten pounds around my middle and there it sits..refusing to budge. I have used MFP in the past and I immediately thought it was my best bet to track both food and exercise..I’m on day 2😊
I found the lady’s experience with respect to needing more protein interesting because that is what I’m seeing in my daily totals..carbs and fat lead the way by far even though I have a healthy diet..lots of veg, fruit no cookies etc, ..how did others manage to increase the protein in their diet?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,455 Member
    Options
    This thread may be useful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I'm 68, now in weight maintenance after loss at 59-60. In maintenance, at 5'5" and 131 point something pounds this morning, I shoot for a minimum of 100g protein daily, and usually exceed it (as a long-time vegetarian). That's about twice the USDA/NIH recommended minimum, and I figure it's a bit above 1g per pound of estimated lean body mass. It was a little lower during loss (at lower calories) but 80s-90s grams of protein or more, after I got my habits tuned in a bit.

What helped me (besides the thread I linked above) was using my diary as a tool. I reviewed my diary regularly, looking for foods that had relatively many calories, but weren't commensurately important to me for tastiness, nutrition, or other important reasons. Those were things I could reduce or eliminate, and turn the calories to something I enjoy eating that made a better contribution to my goals. I focused on my routine eating habits, the patterns of eating I have on repeat. That helped me avoid needing a day to day micromanagement of protein, once the new habits were up and running.

One thing I do as a vegetarian that may also help omnivores: In addition to the "one big protein per meal", I try to get little bits of protein in veggies, beverages, snacks, flavoring ingredients, and more. Those little bits through the day can add up.

If you're struggling with protein, it's fine to use protein powder or bars to supplement, either as a transition aid while you work out higher-protein eating habits, or even long term. I don't find those things tasty or satisfying, personally, so I prefer to get protein from tasty food. :)

I still eat cookies sometimes though. Ice cream more often than cookies. ;)

Best wishes!

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,609 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're struggling with protein, it's fine to use protein powder or bars to supplement, either as a transition aid while you work out higher-protein eating habits, or even long term. I don't find those things tasty or satisfying, personally, so I prefer to get protein from tasty food. :)

I like Glucerna shakes. Or the Walmart brand equivalent.
    They’re lower in calories than other nutrition shakes. They have 30 grams of protein, and have some extra vitamins that can be helpful for some folks.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!