When trying to be on a calorie deficit

Options
Marwa19
Marwa19 Posts: 1 Member
And then you exercise, are you meant to up your calorie intake or eat the same as you would if you haven’t exercised?

Answers

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Reasonableness test

Your goal is to lose weight in a reasonable manner.

Not to punish yourself for past sins.

At least I hope that's the case .

Do you need the same amount of fuel sitting at home watching tv vs spending the day hiking up and down a mountain?

The rest is a question of scale

If I have a 250Cal deficit on a 4000 Cal day and a single 500Cal exercise while I have 100lbs available to lose the answer may be different than if I have a 750 deficit on 2500 Cal days and dealing with daily 500 Cal exercises with 10lbs to lose

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,734 Member
    edited May 1
    Options
    Marwa19 wrote: »
    And then you exercise, are you meant to up your calorie intake or eat the same as you would if you haven’t exercised?
    It depends on how much of a deficit you’re running without exercise. If it’s a small deficit then isn’t really necessary to eat more. If your deficit is sizeable then you may want to eat more however all these things depend on several factors as far as accuracy of data being input into your logging.
  • candacea12
    candacea12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are setting your calories at 1500 or less and exercising then you definitely can eat the difference as a 1500 calorie diet is what you need to lose weight if you aren't exercising. It really depends on what calorie level you are at and your activity level. My calories are set to 1230 and I eat extra to make up for the difference because 1230 is already below that 1500 range and I walk 5-7 miles per day and workout at the gym a few days a week and I do those things a total of 7 days a week so it is best for me to at least be at that level in calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    candacea12 wrote: »
    If you are setting your calories at 1500 or less and exercising then you definitely can eat the difference as a 1500 calorie diet is what you need to lose weight if you aren't exercising. It really depends on what calorie level you are at and your activity level. My calories are set to 1230 and I eat extra to make up for the difference because 1230 is already below that 1500 range and I walk 5-7 miles per day and workout at the gym a few days a week and I do those things a total of 7 days a week so it is best for me to at least be at that level in calories.

You can't say that "a 1500 calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight if you aren't exercising" when you don't know a person's height, weight, age, or (most importantly) non-exercise calorie expenditure. Yes, the majority of adults are burning more than 1500 calories a day, but some are not.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough base level nutrition, then the decision is up to you.

Start with your “total daily energy expenditure” or TDEE.
    Keeping in mind that “sedentary” equals about 3000 steps per day, so if you’re disabled or for some other reason you’re not getting that many steps in daily, you can safely adjust down about 150 calories.

Pay attention to your energy level throughout the day. If you aren’t ill, but are feeling tired? Bump your calories up.

This process is not meant to be a punishment.

TDEE calculator

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Calories per steps calculator

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/steps-to-calories

Add those two and you’ll see your maintenance level.
    Unless you are unusually small, and/or unable to exercise at all, dropping below 1200 is not advised.

As long as you’re feeling good and losing at a steady - but not too fast - rate? Everything is up to you.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    Marwa19 wrote: »
    your post is missing context.
    Without details regarding height, weight, and lifestyle there is no way to give you actual advice.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 6
    Options
    Thanks @kshama2001 I often get TDEE and NEAT mixed up.

Oh. I just remembered this calculator too! It’s handy.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/