Anyone else not eat enough?

Hello everyone. I am new and trying to drop 15 or 20 pounds by September 13th. I started at 180 and I am down to 175. 3 programs so far have told me I don't take in enough calories. I was doing well and then my back went out. I am going for new Orthotics Monday and physio twice next week.

Answers

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,241 MFP Staff
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    How fast did you lose that 5 pounds?

The most realistic test of whether a person is undereating is weight loss results. Why? People vary in calorie needs; it's common to under-estimate food intake; it's common to over-estimate exercise impact; and more.

If you're losing no faster than 0.5% of current weight per week on average (over 4-6 weeks, or over whole menstrual cycles if you have those), then high odds that you aren't under-eating. Up to 1% of current weight lost per week could be OK if severely obese, and ideally under close doctor supervision for deficiencies or health complications. But, unless you're extremely short of stature, 180 pounds isn't severely obese. (It was barely class 1 obese for me at 5'5".)

I'd personally be cautious about losing weight (at all) while in the acute phase of recovering from an injury (or surgery, serious illness). Bodies need calories and nutrition to recover. There will be time to lose weight after recovery.

BTW, what's special about September? In general, the calendar isn't a very good weight loss tool, IMO.

Best wishes!
  • RickJalbert
    RickJalbert Posts: 6 Member
    I have started eating as a male my 1500 calories per day. Once I started a snack in the morning and afternoon I hit my goals. Yes!