Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss with psych meds and physical illnesses

Hey guys!! I'm FTM18, and I am on a heavy dose of psychiatric medications. I also have a joint disorder, a neurological disorder, and gastroparesis.

I just wanted to come here and say that it is definitely possible to lose weight. It may be slower and harder than usual, but it definitely is possible. I was 5'5 and 225 LBS in 2021, and now I'm 5'6 and 205 LBS. I look physically better, but I'll be honest and say that I'm not quite there yet. My goal for these few months is to be around 195 LBS for July 29th, when I go back to school. I was held back in the eighth grade because of severe health issues.

This journey has been very hard considering that my weight fluctuates a lot because of my gastroparesis. But it is possible!! Don't give up hope!!

Replies

• jennifercollis203
    jennifercollis203 Posts: 1 Member
    So good to hear! I’ve gained 40lbs since starting psych meds for bipolar. I now have a fatty liver urghh day 3 back on here and dug out my Apple Watch. Doctors keep telling me mental health is more important than physical but I don’t recognise myself in the mirror and feel gross.
  • CanadaGracie
    CanadaGracie Posts: 22 Member
    First of all, congrats on your transition! The best thing you can do for your mental health is be true to yourself. I’m so sorry to hear about the gastroparesis. That sounds miserable :( Good for you for doing the hard work to lose weight and get healthy! Good luck with school ❤️
  • DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 32 Member
    Hey! Just wanted to say, your journey is so inspiring!
    Despite your health challenges, you're making amazing progress.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,727 Member
    So good to hear! I’ve gained 40lbs since starting psych meds for bipolar. I now have a fatty liver urghh day 3 back on here and dug out my Apple Watch. Doctors keep telling me mental health is more important than physical but I don’t recognise myself in the mirror and feel gross.

You can do it, just don't give up, stick with it. Nothing worth doing is easy, or it wouldn't be worth doing.