What happens when your macros aren't perfect?

Options
I struggle with fat content. I can stick to the calories just fine but my fat content hovers between 30-40%. Today it's showing I'm over my fat by 7grams. I'm wondering if this side tracks all my tracking because the fat is too high?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    For weight management, calories matter.

Macros matter for health and satiation. But even then, no need to be exact.

Fat is an essential nutrient, it's not bad to be over your fat goal (I would just keep saturated fat intake in check).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on fat.

When I was losing weight my macros usually worked out to somewhere around 45% fat, 20% protein and 35% carbs. As long as you're close on calories, that's what matters.
  • DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While fat is important, balance is key. Try incorporating more lean proteins and veggies. Being over by 7 grams occasionally won't derail you.
  • aleena2975
    aleena2975 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    DrBenja wrote: »
    While fat is important, balance is key. Try incorporating more lean proteins and veggies. Being over by 7 grams occasionally won't derail you.

what WOULD derail me, hypothetically?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,868 Member
    edited June 28
    Options
    They dont have to be perfect just get in your protein amount and the carbs and fats generally will end up being close enough. Learn to use grams instead of percentages for macros

For fatloss it’s overall weekly calorie that count.
  • petsounds23
    petsounds23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Just keep on your calorie goal.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    aleena2975 wrote: »
    DrBenja wrote: »

what WOULD derail me, hypothetically?
    Eating way over your calorie limit.

A higher fat ratio is absolutely fine - there are some long term keto-ers on here who eat predominantly protein and fat to manage health conditions. Equally there was a thread I just responded to about someone eating low carb and not enjoying it.

I’m sorry but there is NO secret to weight loss. Eat fewer calories = you will lose weight.

Some fats are considered better for you under accepted science (which seemed to change every decade or so) so focus on polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats, like olive oil, sunflower oil, avocados, nuts and seeds etc.

Fats are high in calories so it’s just wise to watch how much you eat in terms of your overall calorie intake - I can eat 1,000 cals of nuts with no effort for instance.