WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,964 Member
    Heather- Cancer sucks no matter where it is,im so very sorry.. I have a nagging feeling that something might be brewing like that with my water works but wont know that without more testing.. and for me alot of prayer. Hope you e joyed those pictures of SMiles 😃
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,757 Member
    Heather - I'm sorry about the news for your brother, and hope the chemo, etc., is very successful. If I remember right, this is the gentleman with the red-haired wife, yes? Life can change in an instant, it seems. Hoping for the best.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,016 Member
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,575 Member
    Yes Lisa. Last October at my niece's wedding.
    lyz49kvakea3.jpg

It does change absolutely everything.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,757 Member
    He looks like a lovely man, Heather. I'll keep you all in my thoughts. Many hugs.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,677 Member
    Tracey - good luck at the interview today!! I know you'll do well.

Machka - I mostly use FB like I used to use the daily newspaper, which is no longer daily. Local news, events, sales, obits. I seem to have a lot of "friends" but only follow a couple. But it's nice to pop in and see what folks are up to when I have the time.

Rebecca - sorry, I whipped through a lot of posts this past week so missed part of your babysitting story. Are the grands at your house or did you go to their house? Seems it's a tough job even for someone 20 years younger when you aren't used to it, and even if you are. Hope they can make other arrangements.

Debbie - hope your mom's roommate gets out of there with minimal hassle.

Seems like I've been discombobulated ever since my company a week ago. Many trips to town, which I'm also not used to, eating a bit off. Today lunch in town with my friend M then tomorrow another lunch with my other friends. What else.....

Tuesday afternoon - trip to town to get new orthotics. I'm afraid the left one will need tweaking, I wore it for a few hours yesterday and it didn't take long for damaged metatarsal to complain. It's probably only off an eighth of an inch. Joe the orthotic maker said let him know if there's a problem. I'm guessing he has to tweak most of the orthotics he makes.

Yesterday morning Kitty to the vet -
    I took her to in catch up on shots and have her paw checked for the ingrown claw. Turns out, she had THREE ingrown claws - some infection, plus has numerous fatty tumors. They took her to the back of the clinic to take care of her claws, and after a few minutes the tech popped her head into the room where I was and asked if I wanted them to shave her a bit to get rid of some of the mats. YES!!! About 15 minutes after that, the Vet, Dr. Amanda, came into the room and took me back where they were shaving her. Kitty is/was a black longhair. Amanda said kitty had a heart murmur, some bad teeth and she felt with Kitty's age (17) it wasn't worth biopsying anything and putting her through it. I agreed 100% (I was ready to protest in case advanced measures were suggested) and we decided she's on "comfort care" from here on out. Amanda said her hair might not grow back at this stage, or grow back straggly and Kitty might need a sweater this winter. They gave her a "lion" haircut - she still has hair on her face and neck, bare back and belly. Also a shot of antibiotic $$$$ but it saved me from trying to jam pills down her for a week.

I was so grateful they trimmed her for me. Amanda also told me they don't recommend people trying to cut off these mats themselves, too much risk of injuring the cat since their skin is so thin and the mats are so close. They do nail trims when needed and mat trims or full body trims like they did yesterday. When I called to make the appointment for Kitty's claws, I asked about cutting out mats and the NEW receptionist I spoke with said they don't trim unless the cat is in for surgery. I was disappointed and dreading having to keep taking sharp sewing shears to clean up Kitty, who would only tolerate it for a couple minutes before the wiggling and biting would start. I never nicked her. What a relief to find out they do this all the time!!! I take Rosie in next week for her shots and will let Amanda know that I was given bad info.

Kitty was pretty much DH's cat. She loved him, let him keep her trimmed and taken care of. Me - she tolerated. So it's been a struggle to keep up with her grooming over the past few years.

Need to catch up on a few things here before heading off to town. Make it a wonderful day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Oh no worries. My son came and got me last Friday. Its been very taxing!
    Rebecca
    Vancouver
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,559 Member
    Allie - Love those summer "SMiles" pictures!! He's so photogenic! Good luck with the echo, hope you make it there this time without any vehicle interruptions!

Heather - so sorry to hear about your brother. Hoping it's caught early enough that the proposed treatment will take care of it and he'll have many long and happy years left.

Michele - Debbie - any of you with old cats.... have you ever put sweaters on one? If so, where did you get the sweaters and how'd the kitty like it? If Kitty is still with me this winter, and needs one, I think I'll dig out some of the old dog/puppy sweaters I kept around, maybe one of those would work if she doesn't fight too hard. She does have a heated space, but I only keep it around 65 and that's if she's laying right next to the heater.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,722 Member
    edited July 18
    Rebecca: Just read back about your situation. Not an easy one. Hope it gets sorted soon. I agree with what someone else said. Shouldn’t her Mom be helping too?

Heather: So sorry about your brother

Michele: Condolences for the loss of your friend.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,124 Member
    Allie - Love those summer "SMiles" pictures!! He's so photogenic! Good luck with the echo, hope you make it there this time without any vehicle interruptions!

Heather - so sorry to hear about your brother. Hoping it's caught early enough that the proposed treatment will take care of it and he'll have many long and happy years left.

Michele - Debbie - any of you with old cats.... have you ever put sweaters on one? If so, where did you get the sweaters and how'd the kitty like it? If Kitty is still with me this winter, and needs one, I think I'll dig out some of the old dog/puppy sweaters I kept around, maybe one of those would work if she doesn't fight too hard. She does have a heated space, but I only keep it around 65 and that's if she's laying right next to the heater.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I have never had to put a sweater on a cat.
    You can get little heating pads for pets- Have that on for her if she gets cold. She will gravitate to the warmth.

• Whidislander
    Rebecca: Just read back about your situation. Not an easy one. Hope it gets sorted soon. I agree with what someone else said. Shouldn’t her Mom be helping too?

Heather: So sorry about your brother

Michele: Condolences for the loss of your friend.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

Sadly her Mom is dealing with some issues, possibly moving.
  • Whidislander
    Athena ate some mac & cheese that she helped make with me. A huge bowl in fact. She's been sleeping from 1:30 until 4:14 now.😁
    Eli has been sleeping from 2pm until 4now.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,462 Member
    Tracey – do you know if you can use dry brushing on glazes? Everything I’ve seen on uTube is about acrylics

I got some shorts from Penney’s. There is one pair that fits me well. Another pair, same manufacturer, same size, but it’s too big for me. Go figure! And I can’t return them since I took the tags off

After work today went and picked up Shadow’s ashes (Jess’ cat). Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if she came down here this weekend to get the ashes. Update: she asked Vince to text her pics of the urn. She got a special one in the shape of a cat

My neighbor is telling everyone in the neighborhood to come and get blueberries off her bushes. I need to find out if Jess and/or Colby like blueberries. I’ll pick some for them. I don’t think Jess does, but maybe Colby does

You know, Vince is spending a lot of time with the kitties. Honestly, I’m getting a little concerned. He spent so much time with Loki that when we’d go away, Loki would want a lot of attention when we got back, I don’t think he knew how to handle himself without us. I mentioned to Vince that he might not want to spend so much time with them so that they don’t get dependent on him and play more with each other. Guess we shall see what happens

Lanette – I’ve been meaning to tell you, remember you posted that pic of the type of shoe that your doc recommended for your PF? Well, I’ve been wearing my crocs and I honestly feel they’re more comfortable than the orthotic. Not sure if it’s going to help, but I don’t think that the orthotic does either. When I go to see him next week, I’m going to take the crocs with me and show him.

Oh, the store manager at BK said that next year they’re going to tear down the bldg and put up a new one. Probably like the one in FL. I’m not saying anything since it can fall thru. Not to panic people.

Heather – I’m so sorry about your brother

Lanette – we never used a sweater for any of our cats as they got older. Jess didn’t either (even when she was in Iowa), and she just lost her cat who was 18.

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,975 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34