Prediabetes recent diagnosis

Hello I was diagnosed with prediabetes and slightly high cholesterol. I weigh 140lb 5'4. 56 years old. I exercise regularly
Still I must make some changes, obviously. Maybe lose 5 or ten lbs.
I've been reading about glucose index of foods. Also combining protein with carbs.
It was disheartening to find this out because while not perfect I thought I was mostly doing the right stuff.
Genetics I guess.
Any books or ideas for me to learn more?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    I found Janet Bond Brill's Cholesterol Down and Blood Pressure Down (2 separate books) very helpful. They're science-based; she cites studies to back up all her recommendations.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    When I received a pre-diabetic blood test result I went keto. It dealt with it for me quickly. My A1C is now normal. That way of eating works for me as well. It won't necessarily be something everyone can maintain. However, you will need to cut carbs significantly. The more processed they are, the easier your body absorbs them also. So whole wheat berries will have much less of an affect on your blood sugar than ground wheat in flour, even if that ground wheat is whole grain with all the fiber that the berries have.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,310 Member
    I’d make the glycemic index your friend. Foods that are low glycemic are your friend, limit or omit high glycemic foods. Lots of options to choose lower sugar fruits and vegetables and high fiber whole grains.

I used a list similar to the below list and it helped as a cheat sheet.

m20qvng08z47.png
  • SharkyShoob
    SharkyShoob Posts: 8 Member
    I’d make the glycemic index your friend. Foods that are low glycemic are your friend, limit or omit high glycemic foods. Lots of options to choose lower sugar fruits and vegetables and high fiber whole grains.

m20qvng08z47.png

Hey what website is this from?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited July 4
    It's basically the result of chronically elevated levels of blood glucose (sugar) over the course of the day, weeks, years and decades from eating mostly a diet higher processed and ultra processed foods, of course other factors influence IR like smoking, being sedentary, being overweight or obese, etc.

As it relates to diet replacing processed foods with whole food and including quality protein from animal sources will help a lot. Personally I'm low carb and ketogenic which also helps with my hormonal regulation that influences my situation and where that helps in regulating my weight and I no longer find the need to count calories. So basically finding foods that don't raise blood sugar as much or at all can slow down, stop and reverse IR and with myself it reverse it and on a secondary level this also influences my triglyceride level in the body, and the lower the better and basically indicates inflammation has been also lowered which ties together with increasing IR simply because inflammation is one of the keystones of IR. imo
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,310 Member

m20qvng08z47.png

Hey what website is this from?

@sharkyshoob - that particular one is on Etsy.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    2dtbw8fb49cy.png

Here's the full size version
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    Whoops- looks like I just got the top half. For under $1, just buy it from the seller