Dazed and Confused on Caloric intake

Fredoliscious
Fredoliscious Posts: 1 Member
edited July 11 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,

My Fitness Pal recommends a calorie intake is 1700/day. I do Orange Theory every other day burning about 600 calories per session (according to their program).

1st question: Is the 1700 caloric intake a day already a calorie deficiency or just what I need to sustain.

2nd question: Why do I get a new set of calories needed a day, every time log an exercise? My caloric intake increase from 1700 + amount of calories burned = new goal

3rd question: Do I need to eat the extra calories to cover the calories burned when I log an exercise?

Thanks

Best Answers

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,187 Member
    Answer ✓
    1700 is already your deficit. So when you burn 600 at OTF, you want to eat some of that back for sure. You could eat all of it back and see if you still lose weight steadily. If not, start eating less of it back.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Answer ✓
    What is your height and weight?

1,700 may be your maintenance calories but there is no way to really know without more info.

Much will also depend on the accuracy of your calorie counting and tracking

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    Not enough info...but generally, yes, eat more on days you do purposeful exercise.

If you set your Goal to lose weight, then 1700 would be what you would need to lose at the rate you requested. It calculates based on your basic lifestyle (Activity Level) and reduces it by an amount needed to lose weight.

On days you exercise, the tool wants you to eat more to fuel that exercise.

Here's the official explanation along with hyperlinks included:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals

Generally though? All the numbers are generalizations based on population averages, they are starting points. Your best number is the one you find yourself by logging food. I'd say use the 1700 plus a couple hundred more on moderate one-hour exercise days. (Not 1000 more, that would be over-kill) - then after 4-6 weeks re-evaluate based on your trending data YOU have collected. That's really what we all have to do.