Why did you change the format? Now messy time-consuming dfficult - I give up!!!

what is BBCode? why clutter th program even mor?
Tagged:

Answers

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    You don't need to use BBCode. You just can if you want to.

It's sort of like html but with different symbols, to add formatting and things to your posts. 100% not necessary and likely rarely used by most people here. It's a forum thing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    edited August 1
    What Karen said. Also, the fact (and message) that one can use BBCode has been present since I joined in 2015, as far as I can remember. I know for sure it's been there at least since October 2017, because I tried using it then in a post.

It's not some new thing cluttering up the program. Also, it isn't MFP per se: It's the Community software, which is a separate app behind the scenes, supported by Vanilla Forums. MFP contracts with them, has influence over the features as a client of Vanilla Forums, but doesn't control what features are in that software or control how it works.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,504 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MFP contracts with them, has influence over the features as a client of Vanilla Forums, but doesn't control what features are in that software or control how it works.
    As this is open source software, MFP can do whatever they want. The can hire you or me or another software developer and modify this community so it is exactly what @stevepriebe wants. Or not. It's 100% within MFP control how their page works.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    MFP contracts with them, has influence over the features as a client of Vanilla Forums, but doesn't control what features are in that software or control how it works.
    As this is open source software, MFP can do whatever they want. The can hire you or me or another software developer and modify this community so it is exactly what @stevepriebe wants. Or not. It's 100% within MFP control how their page works.

IMU, there are two modes of use of Vanilla Forums. One is as you say, take the software, modify it as desired, support it after that: Basic open source scenario.

The other is using Vanilla Forums as a host/provider. The two pieces of software aren't identical, IMU. Some features are available in the hosted version that aren't in the support-it-yourself open source software.

I believe MFP is using the hosted service, i.e., MFP staff doesn't directly support the underlying software. (Some of the features that are reportedly only in the hosted version are available in the MFP Community, for example.)

Honestly, though, I think most people don't care about the ins and outs of the software architecture. They hold MFP responsible for the whole thing. In one sense, that's rational . . . but the implications of asking for new features - how much work/cost would be involved, whether it can really happen - varies with the architecture.

I have no particular axe to grind here, not an advocate for MFP or Vanilla, just trying to clarify some of the underlying issues for those who don't think about software architecture. Some things are a big ask that seem like they ought to be easy.

We live in a software-filled world. It might be good for folks to understand a little bit about it, but I'm sure that's a bit much to expect.

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,468 MFP Staff
    As Ann mentioned, BBCode has been in effect on the forums for years- probably as long as we have used Vanilla forums. We haven't made any changes.

Funnily enough, we switched off of BBCode at one point and the backlash from was so severe that we actually reverted back to it. The reason we are still using it now is because this community more or less demanded it.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,504 Member

IMU, there are two modes of use of Vanilla Forums. One is as you say, take the software, modify it as desired, support it after that: Basic open source scenario.

The other is using Vanilla Forums as a host/provider. The two pieces of software aren't identical, IMU. Some features are available in the hosted version that aren't in the support-it-yourself open source software.

I believe MFP is using the hosted service, i.e., MFP staff doesn't directly support the underlying software. (Some of the features that are reportedly only in the hosted version are available in the MFP Community, for example.)

Honestly, though, I think most people don't care about the ins and outs of the software architecture. They hold MFP responsible for the whole thing. In one sense, that's rational . . . but the implications of asking for new features - how much work/cost would be involved, whether it can really happen - varies with the architecture.

I have no particular axe to grind here, not an advocate for MFP or Vanilla, just trying to clarify some of the underlying issues for those who don't think about software architecture. Some things are a big ask that seem like they ought to be easy.

We live in a software-filled world. It might be good for folks to understand a little bit about it, but I'm sure that's a bit much to expect.
    And nothing here prevents MFP from implementing the modifications @stevepriebe wrote about. That IMHO is the main thing casual users should be aware of.