Hello!

I am new to MFP. I am still figuring it all out and would love any hints or suggestions of things that are working well for you. I am 67 and have arthritis. I lead an active busy life but would like some exercise hints. Looking forward to a new, successful journey!

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,262 MFP Staff
    Hello and welcome to the community!!

There are some great threads created by our members, stickied to the top of each category that may be helpful. Just look for "Most Helpful Posts - whatever the category name is”.

For example:
    You can also ask your questions in any category that interests you, read posts or questions made by other members, join a group, or add some friends.

Here are some frequently asked questions that may also be helpful: FAQ's
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Welcome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    I am new to MFP. I am still figuring it all out and would love any hints or suggestions of things that are working well for you. I am 67 and have arthritis. I lead an active busy life but would like some exercise hints. Looking forward to a new, successful journey!

Hello, and welcome!

Calorie counting was perfect for me to lose weight at age 59-60, and I'm still at a healthy weight now at 68. Thankfully, though I do have a bit of arthritis, I've found ways to stay active that don't seem to aggravate that situation. I started out with exercise pretty gradually and cautiously (even before losing weight), initially doing gentle yoga, later some strength training, and eventually more rowing and biking. As fitness improves, more things become feasible, in my experience.

Walking is great as a starter activity, if your arthritis allows some. Pool exercise can be great, less strain on the joints since the water supports some body weight. Yoga or tai chi may be options, and there are classes specifically for people with arthritis in some locations. Anything that's a manageable bit of challenge will improve fitness. The "manageable" avoids injury and over-fatigue, the "challenge" part of it creates fitness progress. As a person gets fitter, whatever they start with eventually gets too easy, then it's time to change duration, frequency, intensity or type of exercise to keep that challenge in the picture and keep progress going.

I'm cheering for you to succeed: The results are worth the effort!