Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to calculate my activity levels?

So my daily job requires me to be sitting so I’m sedentary most of the time. My daily steps average between 5-7k steps. I train heavy fullbody 3x a week about an hour up to hour and a half. One exercise per body part 2-3 sets rest 2 min between sets in total I get 21-27 sets per session. I don’t know if I should put myself as lightly active or active? If I put lightly active my calories seem to low 2100 and active is 2500

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    The way MFP works, I'm guessing Lightly Active would be the better starting point. Then add your workout calories as they happen, which might just be 150-300 calories depending on your weight and intensity.

Either way, it's just a starting point while you figure out your TDEE. If you eat X calories per day and don't gain or lose weight, then X is your TDEE.
  • farrellemalcolm4573
    farrellemalcolm4573 Posts: 5 Member
    Recent research has shown that the body naturally regulates caloric expenditure to a large extent. For me, 1000 steps equates to about 50 cals but it’s not so easy… if I walk 10 miles my body will compensate, I’ll chill more when I get home. Subconsciously I’ll be less restless and the 1000 cals I burned walking will be offset by maybe 300 of reduced demand. during a workout session you’ll burn a few extra cals, also you’ll see a little EPOC. And the increase muscle mass will increase your BMR a little (but nothing like the 50 cal per day per lb of lean mass suggested in the sports science books I grew up with). Don’t worry about daily variations. Make sure you hit at least 1g protein per lb body weight every day and measure your daily cal intake. If you start getting fat it’s too high! You’re welcome 😃
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    @farrellemalcolm4573 Yes, that's why it's important to be conservative with exercise estimates if you use MFP the way it's designed. I think a reasonable estimate of how many exercise calories to eat back is about 50%. It's going to vary based on the individual, the exercise intensity, and the diminishing returns of a lot of exercise leading to more resting after.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    @farrellemalcolm4573 Yes, that's why it's important to be conservative with exercise estimates if you use MFP the way it's designed. I think a reasonable estimate of how many exercise calories to eat back is about 50%. It's going to vary based on the individual, the exercise intensity, and the diminishing returns of a lot of exercise leading to more resting after.

Another thing that matters A LOT: Fitness level at the starting point. It's OVER-exercise that's the biggest concern when it comes to exercise fatigue reducing daily life calorie burn. A highly conditioned person will have less fatigue penalty from their accustomed exercise than a new exerciser would have from that same exercise load. Elite athletes, who are highly conditioned, do large volumes of training and still lead productive, energetic daily lives. Their total calorie needs remain quite high.

Yes, too many people start out with too much, too frequent, or too intense exercise. That can be counter-productive.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    Make sure you hit at least 1g protein per lb body weight every day ...

Getting 1g/lb is good for some people, others can get away with less, often 0.7g/lb.