Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Motivation and community support needed

AliceAlta
AliceAlta Posts: 1 Member
Hello wonderful people,

Today I’m restarting my health journey after domestic abuse (which ended 2 years ago in court). Antidepressants and binge eating have caused me to go up by 3 dress sizes and I am pretty adamant not to step on a scale but to use my clothes as a guide. Any kind words and support would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Scale is better if you erase emotional reactions. It is just cold, hard, data.
    Weigh your food, weigh yourself, keep accurate records.
    NEVER judge yourself on a single weigh-in. Observe trends and make adjustments when necessary.
    Approach this whole process as a science experiment.
  • Jenni4w
    Jenni4w Posts: 40 Member
    I wish you the best in rediscovering yourself post trauma. Been there, done that. Think of this journey as the necessary CLEANSING you need. I had to take Xanax for two years when my boss’s behavior mimicked my abusive ex’s, then I got therapy and learned more about his behavior - and it makes me laugh now.
    I love my scale. It’s digital, I have an app, and I can choose not to look but I do. I’m comfortable knowing I’m not where I want to be and I have the power to make changes. Self awareness is key and that includes accepting the facts (current weight) and setting goals. If you’re not ready yet, that’s ok, but I look at the brave souls who are 350, 450, and even over 550 who say “this is the day” and they weigh in and track and it makes them feel so good to see their accomplishments over time.
    It helps to have supportive people around you. One of my friends kept nudging me to get back to the gym. I can’t afford it but I do it anyway because it’s a motivation tool for me to be more active. (Plus most people at the gym are happy positive energy peoples).
    Feel free to reach out, friend-up on here. I’ll cheer you on!