Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Steps should not be adding calories

Answers

• WilliamShreckengost
    WilliamShreckengost Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 6
    Agreed. There's another thread about this issue about two or three down the list, but I might as well share my current stats between Fitbit and MFP one more time to underscore a bit:

Fitbit shows 8,381 steps and 1,154 calories. Bear in mind that Fitbit tries to include estimated RMR into the numbers and is known to overestimate and underestimate the impacts of several common activity types.

MFP shows a calorie adjustment of 2,384 calories for 8,253 steps. So not the most recent sync, but obviously completely out to lunch. It's only been doing this for the past two days on my end, but something is either broken of MFP thinks I sprinted that whole way to get those steps. I didn't.
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 6
    Having the same problem. 2061 steps is showing 1423 calories. Hoping for a resolution to this.
  • BethLoftis
    BethLoftis Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 6
    I'm having the same issue...getting a ridiculously high exercise credit. Has there been any comments from the MFP support team?
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    My understanding is that now that Google owns Fitbit, they are slowly going to stop supporting Fitbit in hopes that people move to Google smart watches. I wonder if this is part of the moving away from Fitbit, they aren't quick to work on glitches. I know they're moving functionality away from the Fitbit app, this just seems like another way to eventually end Fitbit...not that the glitching is on purpose but I wonder if its just no longer a priority.

I may just unlink my fitbit from MFP altogether.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    edited September 6
    Ditto, posted on the other thread. This is what showed first thing. Very frustrating!
    udcd0e5bx3uk.jpeg
  • ksludwig
    ksludwig Posts: 307 Member
    durden wrote: »
    If steps are being recorded and you're receiving an adjustment, this means we are receiving information from your tracker and the integration is working correctly. MyFitnessPal isn't providing this information; we're simply displaying what we are given.

The adjustment is actually not based on your step count, but instead based on your entire activity for the day. The step count is there as an incentive and though it does contribute to part of your activity level, it's not the sole contributor.

Therefore x amount of steps does not mean you will receive x amount of extra calories.

The way the adjustment is derived is by comparing your total calories burned from your tracker against the total calories already provided by MyFitnessPal.

When you have earned more calories than MyFitnessPal has already provided, you will then see the difference as your adjustment.

** You can view a breakdown of this calculation by tapping on the adjustment line and then on the adjustment itself (above the Learn More button) in the app, or by clicking the "i" next to the adjustment line in the Cardiovascular section online at www.MyFitnessPal.com **

Please also note: the total calories from MyFitnessPal will include any calories instantly provided by adding separate exercises (outside of your partner adjustment) to MyFitnessPal, along with the calories needed to reach the goals you set when joining the program.

The following article may also help: https://myfitnesspal.zendesk.com/hc/articles/360032623871-What-is-the-Calorie-Adjustment-in-my-Exercise-Diary-

@durden There is definitely a glitch of some sort. Yesterday, I had a 928 calorie adjustment by 10 a.m. without working out or taking more than 1,500 steps. There is no way this is accurate. Plus I have had these two platforms links for years. I have never had an adjustment this high unless I did some major exercise such as run 15k or walk 10+ miles.
  • HERMIT532
    HERMIT532 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 4
    Mine too.I came here to see if others were having an issue 2031 steps are giving me almost 800 calories burned.
  • sfislam1970
    sfislam1970 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 4
    Hi I have the same problem. I thought my Fitbit was broken.
  • BlueberryRipple
    BlueberryRipple Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 4
    Me too. It’s so annoying.
  • BlueberryRipple
    BlueberryRipple Posts: 7 Member
    Hi there,

Like many others I’m finding my Fitbit is suddenly sending through ridiculously high calorie readings. I’ve raised this through support but in the meantime, the readings are so wildly wrong that I’m going to have to disconnect it altogether.

So my ask is, could you please post an update as soon as it’s fixed?

It’s obviously a key part of the system so hoping this will be soon!
  • Mackynz1
    Mackynz1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 6
    Yeah, something has been very wrong for the last (I think 2?) days. I woke up this morning with a 1000+ calorie adjustment from Fitbit that has been slowly shrinking throughout the day. Fitbit itself was reporting about half that for my total calories burned.

Not sure if it's a Fitbit issue or a MFP issue. I haven't been able to find an acknowledgement of the issue from either.
  • Nathc79
    Nathc79 Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 6
    Wife and are having the same issue for the past couple of days
  • ShrinkingOtter2
    ShrinkingOtter2 Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 6
    I thought I was losing my mind. I'm somewhat relieved to know that other people are having this problem too. At 12:01 a.m. I showed that I had 1,600 exercise calories. Considering I had only walked about four steps that seems quite unlikely. Can't wait till they get this one fixed.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,690 Member
    edited September 4
    ... and now 132. 😆

Is MFP trying to force people to switch to the paid model in order to be able to turn off exercise calories and have accurate numbers? 🤔

It seems to be a Fitbit problem (I haven't seen other brands mentioned), so I don't think so.
    My Garmin adjustment is working fine in any case.
  • It looks like mine is fixed now - I haven't walked very much at all today, and my calorie adjustment is back to zero, whereas this morning when I woke up, it was over 1,000. The calories burned in MFP (on which the adjustment is calculated) is now matching my calories burned in Fitbit.
  • CheerMom715
    CheerMom715 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 6
    Okay so it’s not just me. Lol
  • It looks like mine is fixed now - I haven't walked very much at all today, and my calorie adjustment is back to zero, whereas this morning when I woke up, it was over 1,000. The calories burned in MFP (on which the adjustment is calculated) is now matching my calories burned in Fitbit.

Seems the same on my end. Fitbit's issue tracker still says there may be problems with it, but I'm seeing 75 from Fitbit and 15 from MFP for 268 steps. Even if it breaks again in a few hours, I'd say right now it's back to normal.
  • Laura_Burdekin
    Laura_Burdekin Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 6
    Same issue for the past few days. only just got up and the deficit is usually between -170 and -200 until I start moving! Hopefully they fix it soon as it's making meal planning difficult! Glad it's not just me though